Lesley

Stratford Honey Show

We had a great night - with MedusA's friend/aquaintance Julian Routh was judging.

I entered four classes and won something in each class.

Third for two jars of clear honey, 2nd for 8oz cut comb, 1st for 6 Fancy Cakes and 1st for Honey Cake (own recipe)

I also won the Best in Show for cakes :D I won a set of mixing bowls and spatulas.

I was very pleased as we only took off just over three pounds of honey - two pounds were in the jars and the rest I cooked with! I also took one frame as comb honey and only entered it to make numbers up - I didn't expect to win anything as some honey had leaked into the container - I left it as it was as it was the correct weight. I was only using them for Christmas hampers for family really.

I so nearly gave up beekeeping earlier in the year - now I'm looking forward to next year and may even get some Mead going tomorrow!

These are the ugliest butterfly cakes I have ever made :lol: - flying caterpillars :lol:

DSCF1278.jpg

Honey Spice Drizzle Cake

DSCF1279.jpg

DSCF1280.jpg

....and our bees have had to cope with a few of these as well - massive hornets!

DSCF1263.jpg

Lesley - thats the most tremendous news :D Very well done to you - Best In Show :clap: Prize winning honey :clap: Prize winning comb :clap: I hope you've had a fabulous celebration :dance:

Its really nice to hear how we 'newbies' (although I know you have more experience than me!) have got on.

I hope you've had a fabulous celebration :dance:

Its really nice to hear how we 'newbies' (although I know you have more experience than me!) have got on.

I've had a piece of cake :lol:

We have a lot of experience of building up Nucs and getting our bees as far as February and no further :roll: - so believe me, we're still newbies :D . Our bees are looking ready for winter and have built up really well this year, it makes a big difference having more than one hive and some drawn comb.

Well done - that's great news, I too have read about your problems so it's wonderful to hear you had such a good result, especially with only 3lbs of honey! I wish I'd entered our honey show but I ran out of time to get anything ready.

If it's not a state secret, any chance of putting the recipe for that honey cake on 'All things Nice?'

Yes, I will Olliy.

It was quite funny because Julian said you should ask any cake contributors how many honey cakes they've made.......for each one on display there will probably be a dozen practise ones at home :lol: - I was just lucky because I cobbled the recipe together on Friday afternoon from a couple I'd tried over the years and added a drizzle icing :lol: I was also lucky because our honey has quite a strong flavour even though it was quite pale, Julian is very keen on honey cakes tasting of honey :D

We have the class for the Standard cake - it is horrible cake and has sultanas in it :vom: so I gave that class a miss this time - everyone complains about the recipe - but we also have a class for Own Recipe......much more fun!

I'm just going to post the recipe.

It was quite funny because Julian said you should ask any cake contributors how many honey cakes they've made.......for each one on display there will probably be a dozen practise ones at home :lol: - I was just lucky because I cobbled the recipe together on Friday afternoon from a couple I'd tried over the years and added a drizzle icing :lol: I was also lucky because our honey has quite a strong flavour even though it was quite pale, Julian is very keen on honey cakes tasting of honey :D

Julian has told me that too, Lesley. :lol:

Well done on all your prizes. :clap::clap::clap:

My jar of honey which won 1st prize in the novice class at the Branch Honey Show also won 3rd prize at the County Honey Show. The 2 that beat me were from different associations, so I still feel vindicated at branch level. :lol::lol::lol:

Off to look up your Honey Drizzle cake recipe on ATN. It looks scrummy! :drool:

Well done on the third place for your honey :D

I also had a mention in the local paper - I only noticed because there was a photo of Julian......you can't miss him can you :lol: The report also mentioned the fact that Julian had disqualified many of the honeys in the "6 jars, as for sale" section because the labelling didn't comply with regulations.........exit a few disgruntled beekeepers :?

He said the label has to say "Product of the EU" and not 'Product of England' - I've been looking since then to see exactly what the regulations are and the places I've looked say that the labels can say 'Produced in England'

I'll need to know by next October as I'm really hoping to exhibit in that class - and our labels say Produced in England :?