Nicola O Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 So exciting...I collected the new girls earlier this afternoon and they are all tucked up (well, hiding really) in the eglu. I collected six chooks, and the idea is that when they have had a few weeks to build themselves up and are stronger and more confident, I will integrate two of them in with the remaining two of last years ex-bats. I was working on the idea that they are small, skinny little things (so wouldn't be too squished), but these are quite chunky girls. The smallest is quite well feathered but the others are very scruffy and at least three of them have their upper beak trimmed . I've tried to get some pictures, but they are all hiding behind each other in the eglu so it was really difficult . Only three of them have ventured into the run so far and I'm not sure that they have found the food and water yet. Two have such huge and floppy combs that they look like they are wearing bonnets . I'll try and get better pictures tomorrow. Nicola. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Donna C Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 What lovely girls, they look in good condition for batts. Well done, I love the first few days Let us know how you get on . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 Congratulations. Do they have names? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 Aww, lovely girls . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nicola O Posted November 6, 2010 Author Share Posted November 6, 2010 Congratulations. Do they have names? Not sure on names yet. I've always gone with the 'old lady' theme as those names seem to suit them, but this time I'm thinking of flowers........Daisy, Primrose, Clover, Tulip etc. I had a half hour of panic earlier as the three girls who had ventured out of the eglu didn't seem to realise that they had to go back in it when it was dark , they were just sitting in the run. But eventually they toddled off to bed. Nicola Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nicola O Posted November 6, 2010 Author Share Posted November 6, 2010 I couldn't resist popping out for a peep..........and saw this.............. Aaaaahhhhhhh........and it was accompanied by the sound of someone purring in their sleep. Nicola Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh What a lovely pic! Am slow glad that it all went well you Bet you have a lovely time with them tomorrow! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Pikey Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 Lovely pictures....can't wait for some more tomorrow I love that purring they do when all sleepy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stoice Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 Ah bless 'em. Very lucky girls Nicola. Some pretty impressive combs on them too. Every day will be a new adventure for them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snoxy Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 CONGRATULATIONS...your new girls are beautiful Can't wait to see more pics Hey Stacey...I was born in Colchester and lived there for 34.5 years Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted November 6, 2010 Share Posted November 6, 2010 what lovely - and lucky - girls they are. wishing them a long and happy life with you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hippy chick Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 congratulations. lovely pics can't wait to see some more. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nicola O Posted November 7, 2010 Author Share Posted November 7, 2010 (edited) Let them out at 7am but so far only one has ventured out. Just been out again to have a chat through the eggport and I've come to the conclusion that the girl with the bald back is completely mental, everytime I put my hand inside to stroke someone she goes ballistic and attacks it . though I'm sure she'll calm down soon. I think I'll give them a couple more hours and then shove them out into the run as no one seems to have eaten or drunk yet. Nicola. Edited November 7, 2010 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 Maybe they are just taking advantage of their first every lay in! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stoice Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 Well it IS a sunday! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Donna C Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 They truley look very happy, I love the first few days with batts. My girls(orps) will go in the run but when open the door to go in garden just look at me as if to say," what me, go out there, No !" Enjoy and please keep us posted, I love batts Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dancing cloud Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 Lovely pics and lucky girls! Always good to see ex-batts getting a new life. No wonder they were purring in their sleep - they think they're in little chookie heaven My Lucy was a "killer chicken" at the start and attacked where the others ran away, and it wore off very quickly when she realised the hand brought treats and being stroked was quite nice really. Keep us updated as to names. It always seems like a rite of passage to me when my ex-batts get their own identities - though my little Lady should definitely have been called little Thug instead Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Powerlady Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 I wouldn't be without my ex batts..they're something special! Good luck with yours! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nicola O Posted November 7, 2010 Author Share Posted November 7, 2010 Well, I shoved them out the eglu and shut the door on them and they just stood there, pressed up against the eglu. After about an hour two or three started to wander about but they are generally using the 'safety in numbers, huddle up in a big group' ploy at the moment . They have found the grub and they have been stuffing themselves silly. I can't get any individual pictures as they are staying in a tight group, except this one.... This one should be a short video (if it works) (ignore me at the end, telling the dog off. She sat beside me whilst I was doing the pictures and suddenly decided to walk in the run with them ) Nicola Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Donna C Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 Lovely, well done re video, They look really thin and pale at mo . Can't wait to see how they progress Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Powerlady Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 Give them a few weeks..they will soon look even more gorgeous than what they do now! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dizzy-Deb Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 Hi Nicola I just picked up mine today too, think they are from same rehoming group as yours. Dont they just break your heart they condition they come in. Heres to us all giving them a new lease of life and watching how they improve over the coming weeks. Congrats on your new girls. xxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nicola O Posted November 7, 2010 Author Share Posted November 7, 2010 Had two eggs today. One was crushed under their feet (before I turfed them out), but the other was a whopper. I don't have digital scales but it was in the region of 95g - 100g . Nicola. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dizzy-Deb Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 Aww bless, they laid eggs for you too. Thats great. Mine laid two eggs too, one was in the run and the other in the nest box. I really didnt expect to get any eggs with all the travelling and upset. I am sure I have read somewhere that feeding some of the eggs back to them boiled up, helps with increasing protein for them and helping to feather up.?? Maybe someone more experienced could verify this if they wouldnt mind. Be interesting to know. xx Do you have other chickens Nicola ? xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LeeMeadfan Posted November 8, 2010 Share Posted November 8, 2010 Aaaahhhh - they are so sweet! Well done on giving these sweethearts a lovely life! ( and you too DD) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...