FORENSICA

Mice coming for chooks food!

Hi, I have successfully cleaned whole shed and put all pellets and corn into plastic boxes so no mice are living in there now.

However, my cat occasionaly catches a mouse and brings it alive into the house which I do not appreciate much to be honest :vom: Anyway, yesterday he actually came with two within one hour! I went with him to see where he was waiting for them and they must be coming from under my neighbour's fence and straight to my chooks feeder.

Now, what do I do? :think: I would like to get rid of them, so I got some snap traps and one humane trap (bait eaten, mouse nowhere to be seen) from previous trial in the shed. However, I can not use the snap traps outside of the chicken run as the cat could get injured and if I place them inside, then the chooks could get their foot in in it in the morning. The humane trap was useless in the shed so I can not see how it would work outside.Poison is out of the question obviously.

Does anybody have an idea what to do or has been successful with any other type of trap?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Yes, it seems like it. I have seen the mice coming for the food during the day too. But that was when the fencing was leaning on a shed, and that way the cats could not get to the mice. Now there is a free space where the cats can go and so the mice are coming only in the night I think.

You can buy snap traps that are fitted and enclosed in a box.

Bait it, the mice go in, and then trigger the snap trap in the usual way. Cat's etc are protected by the box, and so can't get caught themselves. (Nor can the cats get at the body, which will save that being delivered to you in your house should your cats have the urge...)

It's a bit like a bait box - but with a snap trap inside instead of poison.

TBH - I have had more success with traps not in boxes - but might be worth a try where other animals are so obviously at risk, and they are cheap enough. Got ours from Homebase I think...

Either that, or close the chooks up in their coop for the night, and put normal snap traps in their run. Then you can just remove them before letting the chooks out in the morning, and again, being shut in the run, the cats are safe.

Can you not just live and let live,let them share?

Is a little mouse worth less than a chicken?

Well I suppose I could. I do not dislike mice, however they destroyed some stuff in my shed and constantly been leaving droppings and pee everywhere. But the fact that my cat is bringing the mice in the house in the middle of the night (waking me up) and on occasion leaving eaten bits of it on the floor is the major issue. I have a toddler at home and one baby on the way and I do like/need to sleep when I can. We did not have a single mouse for 3 years before we got the chickens and so if I had to choose, the chickens and the cats are staying. The mice preferably not. :notalk: