Peaches

Honey as Christmas presents

Anyone else doing this?

I'm about to start organizing my few jars and getting them ready to post out. However, what packaging do you use? I've got some bubble wrap and I'm going to look for cardboard boxes the right size. Next year - cut comb in boxes, I think!

Also - I was about to send some to my sister is Spain, but might there be import restrictions? Lots to plan...

Cheers - Fiona

I am so :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

No honey for me this year but I did enjoy some lovely Yorkshire on my breakfast porridge.

I'm sure bubble wrap then a tightly fitted cardboard box would be OK.

You can bring in EU honey so surely you must be able to send it :?

One of our BKA members does Section Honey which is unbelievably beautiful. The next step up from cut comb,I guess.

A. However, what packaging do you use? I've got some bubble wrap and I'm going to look for cardboard boxes the right size. Next year - cut comb in boxes, I think!

Also - I was about to send some to my sister is Spain, but might there be import restrictions?

Thing going within the EU can usually travel backwards and forwards unrestricted. Outside the EU they can be opened at Customs. I don't however see any problem with honey. I would use bubble wrap AND polystyrene chips. I would put the jar in a plastic bag first just in case of breakage. You may be able to pick up some boxes from friends, neighbours or shops. Failing that Viking Direct or Ebay sell them at reasonable prices. If you are stuck for polystyrene chips pm me and I can send you a bag :wink:

I do know that you must not send any to Canada. You will get thrown into the cells if you try to take some in, and get caught. They ask all sorts of questions on your arrival; I would think farmers would be given a hard time at entry!

I offered the information that I kept bees but had not been near a farm for at least two weeks, and it was an arable farm, at that. No point in telling porkie pies, they could probably easily find out, if they set their mind to it. Big brother and all that. One never knows what details they might have on any individual.

I remember the guy in front of us, once; customs asked if he had anything to declare. He said 'no', they asked how long he had been in Britain (they knew already, of course - it was four months) and then they said 'please come this way sir'.

I never lie about packing my own bags, either (I don't). Coming home from Ottawa I was stopped for something in my hand luggage and I hadn't a clue what they were talking about and did not know the item had been packed in there. I was honest and they accepted my explanation when I told them what it was (a topper for a circular sock knitting machine) and did not have to leave it there.

Last year I forgot to check and had a small adjustable spanner in my coat pocket, but despite a short extra wait I was allowed to take it with me to Spain as they accepted my explanation (I had left it on top of my coat for them to 'see', not 'find'). Lot's of items 'found' by them were simply confiscated. Customs are fair as long as you don't try to hide things!

You would be on their records forever, if they found something like honey going to somewhere it was not allowed.

Regards, RAB

Also, you can't send it to Oz - they are very very very very hot on not allowing imports of all sorts of foodstuffs and natural products - which includes decorative items made out of berries, bark etc. There is a specific Q on the entry form into the country relating to honey.