Bramble Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 Something awful happened on my walk this morning, so awful I hardly dare confess ... We were walking along the river and a duck hopped on to the bank in front of us, before I'd even seen him my dog grabbed him (she was on her lead) and killed him in seconds. It's just awful, I can't believe it's happened, the only slightly positive thing was I could tell poor duck had died almost instantly. I feel terrible now, I don't let her off lead cos I know she'd chase and catch the ducks given a chance, but she's still caught one anyway. A couple of people saw what happened and said "oh dear, but that's nature" or words to that effect, but I feel terrible. Im so so so sorry, but this is one of those things I just can't put right? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 How sad but those people were right. You couldn't have prevented it and in fact, you had tried to by keeping her on the lead so you really can't blame yourself. At least it was instant. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted November 28, 2010 Author Share Posted November 28, 2010 Thank you ANH, can't tell you how awful I feel about it, I'm expecting a deputation of angry villagers at my door any moment complaining about my "savage" dog. The only positive thing is just how quick it all happened, I had no idea it would be so instant (which might be some tiny comfort to those who have lost chucks or ducks to foxes?) Im so ashamed Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 Bramble, this wasnt your fault you did everything right, sometimes it just happens to go wrong (((hugs))) cthy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sari Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 A neighbours greyhound killed a youngish cat that came into their garden. It happens....my mom has a pointer cross and he regularly despatches rats etc...I wouldn't get to upset about it, hard though that is. We forget sometimes that we share our homes with wolves ( or whatever the quote is ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 Aww Bramble, i know you must feel awful but please dont! This really isnt your fault at all you know, just nature running its course im afraid. You had your dog on a lead, really, what more could you do? The little duck probably didnt even know what had happened it was so quick, Give your dog a hug and go have a cuppa and move on hunni {{hugs}} Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 Oh dear, not much you could have done though. I does sound like the poor old duck set itself up a bit. It is much better that your dog killed it so quickly rather than leaving it fatally wounded. Even the best trained dogs would struggle to ignore a duck in those circumstances. Don't beat yourself up Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 just thought I'd my two penneth. I'd feel the same in your place but you can't and shouldn't blame yourself, it really is just one of those things and you were trying to anticipate what might happen by keeping her on a lead. You are obviously a kind, thoughtful and conscientious person so don't beat yourself up, you didn't know your dog would do that. I guess we all think we know our dogs but I have a really sweet little yorkie but after seeing how she torments our quail (from outside their run) I've seen a different side to her and am just glad she can't get to them! We teach our dogs to play and run after balls etc but then expect them to know not to do the same with other small things that move. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 Oh dear, not much you could have done though. I does sound like the poor old duck set itself up a bit. It is much better that your dog killed it so quickly rather than leaving it fatally wounded. Even the best trained dogs would struggle to ignore a duck in those circumstances. Don't beat yourself up I agree Bramble, your dog just acted on instinct an is no more to blame than the duck, who popped up at the wrong moment. My sighthound has a strong hunting instinct, sometimes I can call her off if she hasn't gone beyond the point, but sometimes it just happens so fast that you can't foresee it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 It would take a very restrained dog not to react to a flapping bird, it seems to set them off Sadly its just one of those things, not your fault and not your dogs fault x x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 I agree. The dog was probably startled and acted instinctively. It was on a lead, so you couldn't have done more, as events were so quick. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted November 29, 2010 Share Posted November 29, 2010 Traumatic for you but can't imagine anyone feeling anything but relief they weren't in your shoes. xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted November 29, 2010 Author Share Posted November 29, 2010 Thank you everyone. 24 hours on, I still feel awful, can't believe it happened, but with hindsight I'm glad it was over quite quick and the duck wasn't left badly injured (I wouldn't have a clue how to "finish the job"). All very traumatic, but I guess I just need to be more vigilant. I know other people have dogs who regularly catch rabbits etc when off lead, so I guess this is no different, just very sad. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted November 30, 2010 Share Posted November 30, 2010 I know exactly how you feel. I still haven't recovered from catching and killing a Robin in a rat trap and that was over a year ago Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mostin Posted November 30, 2010 Share Posted November 30, 2010 I know exactly how you feel. I still haven't recovered from catching and killing a Robin in a rat trap and that was over a year ago I caught a blackbird in a rat trap and I still feel awful about that too , I guess we can't have it both ways, we all seem to care about all animals so these things upset us even when there is no blame. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted November 30, 2010 Share Posted November 30, 2010 What a sad thing to happen, but as others have said please don't beat yourself up about it. The exact same thing happened to me with my dog at Chatsworth House. They have hens free ranging around the grounds, my dog was on a lead but managed to get one that was behind a parked car - the dog must have smelt it and shot round the side of the car so quickly. It all happened before I even realised the hen was there. It's upsetting but you know the animal won't have suffered, it is all so quick. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...