CannyCat

Radishes

Hi,

I will be pulling mine next week.

I meant to do it this week,but its far too rainy :lol:

There is a nice red dome poking out of the ground,about 1.5 cm wide, & the leafy bits are about 6 inches high I reckon.

By the way hens love the leafy bits as a treat 8)

Try one radish to see if its big enough.I like mine a bit smaller anyhow, as I think they have more flavour that way.

I am having them next week with thick carved organic ham,new pots,salad & home made Mayonnaise.............yum!

Hello CannyCat!

They are supposed to take 4 weeks from sowing to harvest, but at the mo, mine are taking longer. Just wipe the soil awwy from the top of the radish and pull 'em up if they are big enough. The longer you leave them the 'woodier' they become. The leaves grow to about 7-8 inches ish, and are quite bushy. I give the leaves to the girls and they love them!

Good luck :D

Thanks guys :D

I planted mine around the bottom of my strawberry plants, which are in hanging baskets, so the chooks couldn't reach them (heeheehee). Mine vary in size, but the biggest are only about 4" tall, so I think it might be another week or two 8)

Again, how do you know when potatoes are ready (not that mine are - they haven't even gotten started yet...)

No, they aren't too hot. I normally give them the leaves, but sometimes chop the radish into tiny pieces for them :anxious::shh: - AnnieP thinks I spoil them!

They grow really quickly, so I always put a few in every week, so we, and the girls, always have some. :D

I planted some last week - not keen on them myself but OH does love them :wink: Now he knows the extent of my devotion, he's planning on spending this weekend building my raised beds for me. :roll:8)

Thanks for the above as well - I was wondering when they'd be ready!

No, they aren't too hot. I normally give them the leaves, but sometimes chop the radish into tiny pieces for them :anxious::shh: - AnnieP thinks I spoil them!

Nothing like pampered poultry! :lol::lol::lol:

I will be planting some tomorrow - thanks for the inspiration! :idea:

I plant rows of Swiss Chard for ours :roll::lol:

I didn't realise radish leaves could sting you? Oooo my poor girls throats!

Planting some today in a tub in the green house, got some Vienna & some sofia seeds. What on earth is the difference? I thought radishes were radishes! :?

Emma.x

:? it's that or there's a small thistle hidden in my hanging basket...

Mine eat them too, and dont seem to care :roll: