Snoxy

Would you be miffed?

I'm really am sympathetic to your plight but am still slightly confused by the distinction between the two names.

Is it the emphasis that changes the sound? I keep saying the two names and really can't hear a difference :oops: . (Might be the Scottish accent mentioned previously that makes it hard.)

Do you say Ellen - Ellen (almost losing the 'e') and Ellin - Ellin (emphasising the 'i')? I'm just wondering if this is the difficulty the teacher has?

I did wonder if it's the accent...we have an Elin, and it's pronounced with the emphasis on the -in..but I would imagine that if you had a heavy scots accent Ellen and Elin would sound quite similar...WE have quite a few Poles and Eastern Europeans at my old school, and that was a steep learning curve for me!

must be your accent cos In and En sound different to me.

It's not the 'in' and 'en' that I'm referring to. It's the emphasis - the 'en' is almost lost if you emphasise the beginning of Ellen, as in 'Elln'.

Ellen and Ellin sound the same to me unless you say Ellen (as in Helene) and Ellin in which case there is a clear distinction between the 'in' and 'en'.

Snoxy, please don't think I'm belitting your grievance - I'm really not :) .

PS I don't have a heavy Scots accent :wink: . Lots of Scots think I'm English :roll: .

I agree with what Ain't "Ooops, word censored!"ody Here says. As I mentioned before I have a slight Scottish accent although locals instantly hear my English roots and if I say the two names there would be little to no difference. I hope this is the reason in this case as it is a problem if the teacher is still having difficulties after this has been drawn to her attention. Were you able to hear her saying Ellen and Ellin, and if so was there a difference?

Were you able to hear her saying Ellen and Ellin, and if so was there a difference?

I wasn't able to hear the teacher say both together when we spoke on Friday...I thought it was rather rude to ask :silenced: Up to this time I have only ever heard her say Ellen :(

Although at this time I do not know where the teacher is from, she is definitely not Scottish...her accent isn't one I recognise and it is very slight anyway. I have done some research since Friday and have friends from Norfolk, Scotland, London, Manchester, Bristol and others from various parts of the Country who all tell me when they pronounce Ellin and Ellen they don't sound the same.

I am beginning to think that this teacher just cannot say Ellin without it sounding the same as Ellen...will just have to learn to live with it 8)

I would like to close this topic by adding why I have been so 'bothered' by this...

My daughter is very, very special to me, as are all our children to all of us. I will admit, here and now, that I am a little more emotional/touchy :whistle: when it comes to things concerning Ellin than I am perhaps with her 3 older brothers. This maybe due to her arriving at 26 weeks. She survived meningitis and spent the first 12 weeks of her life in hospital. I got to hold her for the first time when she was 6 weeks old...even so we have the most incredible bond...she is truly an amazing little girl and it 'bothers' me that her teacher cannot get her very special (to us) name correct. I hope you don't think I am some crazy, emotionally-charged Mother by this admission :roll:

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply to this topic...I appreciate ALL the replies X