Snoxy

Would you be miffed?

Hi

Would you be miffed if your childs teacher didn't say their name properly?

My daughters teacher refers to her as Ellen and not Ellin :wall:

One of her friends called her Ellen the other day and another member of staff at school referred to her as Ellen yesterday.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :roll:

Probably, have you pointed it out to her? It doesn't seem a difficult name to get right. How old is your daughter? Would she correct her friends/teachers?

One little girl in Oliver's nursery has a Welsh name, Ceinwyn, which I've only just got the hang of saying. Her nana seems to say it differently every time, so I expect quite a few teachers get that wrong.

I would.

As our surname is also used as a first name for girls or boys,my daughters often get called by their surnames.

Cleo also gets called Chloe all the time & Devon used to be called De'Von by her orthodontist,which drove me bonkers :roll:

That said my husband merrily told everyone that Cleo was called Chloe after she was born :roll::lol:

Thank you :D

Ellin is 5 and is far too polite to correct her teacher bless her.

I spoke with the Head Teacher nearly 3 weeks ago on a matter that upset me so much I just couldn't let it go...I took the opportunity to politely mention that the teacher was calling Ellin, Ellen. He said he would speak with the teacher...I don't know whether or not he did...it may well have slipped his mind as he is very busy.

A couple of friends have suggested I write her a polite note especially as I don't find her very approachable.

At the last parent consulation my husband and I sat facing her and she kept saying Ellen and we kept saying Ellin...I just couldn't bring myself to say anything as I was gobsmacked she was referring to Ellin as Ellen right in front of us :whistle:

T

At the last parent consulation my husband and I sat facing her and she kept saying Ellen and we kept saying Ellin...I just couldn't bring myself to say anything as I was gobsmacked she was referring to Ellin as Ellen right in front of us :whistle:

My step daughter's name was abbreviated to "Carrie", and she had one teacher who insisted on pronouncing it "Carey". It really, REALLY bothered my step daughter, so I understand how you feel.

I know she is saying the name incorrectly, but she probably [genuinely doesn't realise that she's saying it wrong, and I doubt very much she has any idea that it bothers you.

For something like this, it realy would be better to try and just mention it to her. Now would be a good time, as you can say "Just one thing, I meant to say this to you at the Parents Evening, Ellin's name is pronouced Ellin, not Ellen."

You don't have to make a big deal of it, don't go into any more detail about how gobsmacked you were, how annoying it is etc (unless she makes s snarky comment or anything, of course). If she then refers to her incorrectly again in your presence, you can correct her.

It would, and does annoy me to. My daughter is called Bria (which we say Breea), but it is pronounced many different ways, mainly as in briar rose for example. Once, in assembly at junior school the head got it wrong and her whole year perked up with how it should have been said! :lol: Add to that an unusual Scottish surname, and we have loads of fun! I don't think we thought things through properly when naming her :roll: But I did stop hubby from giving her Ursula as her middle name otherwise her initials would have been B.U.M :shock::lol: He says he was joking ...... :think: My mum is forever being called Sabrina, which annoys me no end, as her name is Sabina :x But it's not my place to say anything.

But as others have said, just mention it to her teacher. Maybe she just doesn't hear how you say it. I do feel sorry for teachers though. They have to contend with so many different spellings of names, never mind the more unusual ones thrown into the mix.

Try calling the teacher Kevin 8):lol:

I know you were joking Sarah - but you are on the right lines. So that she can appreciate the difference, take her name and change the emphasis slightly. So if her name was Joanne, you could call her Joan, or Joaney. OIf it's Pauline (PAUL-een), call her Paul-INE.

Only if my earlier suggestion doesn't work, of course.

I have had this all my life and it is very irritating. My name is Carolyn - pronounced car-o-lyn. Not at all difficult you would think. Even now I will introduce myself to someone new and they will immediately change it to Caroline. After 50 years of this happening I have come to the conclusion that some people have a strange switch in their brains which immediately converts a name into another.

It is not even that I am pronouncing my name in a different way to how it is written or that it is a particularly unusual name. I get less cross than I used to when I was younger but it is just rude I think.

Teachers should know better!

Our daughter is Demelza. Often shortened to Dee or even Demi. In Herefordshire what was worse was Demelzer with the emphasis on the zer bit. I just stopped bothering in the end. She didn't seem to care. The most amusing version was a party invitation when four years old to Samosa. The mother was very embrassed when we met but had relied on her four year old to choose party guests.

I would. My nephew is called Samuel & someone calls him Sam all the time. I think she does it on purpose. Everyone else calls him Samuel - except for the doctor who has fun with pronunciation & calls him Samwell. :wink::lol:

It's not on - you go through a lot to think of a childs name - it should be said properly. It's dis respectful & rude!

Emma.x

As a supply teacher I regularly ask the children how to pronounce their names so that I can get them right and ask them to tell me if I'm wrong.

I have 2 pupils called Erin, one is pronounced err-in (as in Ned Sherrin), the other air-in (as in airin' cupboard) with the first syllable stressed.

I think it's good manners. I also have children who prefer their name to be shortened - Thomas to Tom or not - Thomas.

I also hate confrontation but you should go and tell her.

As a Support Worker in a school, I can only say that, sometimes, you get a name stuck in your head..even incorrectly. I have 3 girls in my class , 2 Ellas, 1 Emerald, 1 Elin..all bestest buddies...so it gets a bit tongue twisty.........I'm not making excuses, as my own daughters get called by the wrong names ( Marnie gets called Hermione, and Marina, Maya gets called May, Mia and even May-a) but as someone who worked in a Primary of 475 children, and did P.P.A cover from YR-6, remembering names can be tricky....especially with the more creative names. But a class teacher not pronouncing the name correctly needs correcting Obviously she knows how it's spelled....??

had to edit p.p.a as it come up as a hen if I put in PPA!!

Sigh............

I had this all my school life.

I have a common enough Polish name, pronounced phonetically, but seemingly unpronounceable by most teachers in whom it seemed to elicit some sort of word blindness :wall:

Similarly with my then surname. I got used to it :boohoo:

These days with easy communication on a worldwide basis and English football club players from who knows where foreign names are commonly encountered so there should be no excuse for your poor daughter's experience. It's just laziness on the teacher's part. They should remember their pupils sufficiently to remember their names. No excuse :shameonu:

I would be upset if a teacher got my child's name wrong but I was wondering if it was her accent? I have a mixture of an English and Scottish accent and both names sound the same when I say them. I also asked my son who has a Scottish accent and the names again sounded the same to my ears.

On a similar theme I hate it when the spelling of childrens names is incorrect on awards etc at school. I have this problem with two of mine. My son Matthew had to keep reminding people that it had 2 t's.

T

My step daughter's name was abbreviated to "Carrie", and she had one teacher who insisted on pronouncing it "Carey". It really, REALLY bothered my step daughter, so I understand how you feel.

I know she is saying the name incorrectly, but she probably [genuinely doesn't realise that she's saying it wrong, and I doubt very much she has any idea that it bothers you.

For something like this, it realy would be better to try and just mention it to her. Now would be a good time, as you can say "Just one thing, I meant to say this to you at the Parents Evening, Ellin's name is pronouced Ellin, not Ellen."

You don't have to make a big deal of it, don't go into any more detail about how gobsmacked you were, how annoying it is etc (unless she makes s snarky comment or anything, of course). If she then refers to her incorrectly again in

your presence, you can correct her.

I agree it is unlikely to be deliberate, and I'm sure if it is pointed out gently it will be pronounced properly, teachers aren't looking for trouble either.

You should try giving your children Welsh names and living in England! We had so many problems with the pronounciation and spelling of the first one, we gave the second one an easy to spell and pronounce name. It's always annoyed me that one of my eldest's teacher's has always called him Rod instead of Rhodri and always referred to him as that at parents evenings. It's like she was talking about someone else!

Mind you, having worked in schools for years with a diverse multi-cultural population myself, I've come across all sorts of names and it can be very hard to learn to pronounce them all correctly, especially when there are so many to remember.

both names sound the same when I say them. I also asked my son who has a Scottish accent and the names again sounded the same to my ears.

I've been saying both names over and over and can't really hear a difference either :oops: . It must be a Scottish thing :lol: .

I agree I would be annoyed too though - it does show a lack of respect although more so if it's pointed out and the teacher still gets it wrong.

I'd be miffed but I've had people mispronouncing/misspelling my name all my life. Not only mispronouncing but also changing my gender; I'm Justine not Justin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!