Snoxy

Would you be miffed?

I was often tempted to mis spell their names but thought it would be rude :lol:

I've done that on occasion :oops: but not as often as I'd like.

What irks me is when people misspell my name in emails. For heaven's sake, it's written correctly in the company directory, can't they read?

I frequently get my name spelt wrongly, even by an aunt and my niece, but it's not often pronounced wrongly except by Americans from certain regions (they try to put the stress on the second syllable instead of the first). But it's so infrequent I find it amusing rather than anything else.

I really hate the two most common contractions of my name but I do answer to a third common contraction (although that is usually a contraction of the male version), if I recognise they are talking to me. I also answer to PJ or Juliet. :lol:

PJ

I think I can sympathise with the being called the wrong name. For years I was known by my name of Andrew, but in the last few years I've introduced myself as Drew.

Some people (even my mum) just call me Drew as a matter of course, yet a cousin of mine opened up her Christmas card with another relative and asked.."Who's Drew??". It's even on my facebook so she sees it all the time!!

I had to go to Royal Mail yesterday to pick up my run clips from Omlet. Showed my ID (formal stuff still in Andrew - not sure if I can change it) and the woman said "This package if for D [surnmame] not Andrew" I told her that I'm known as Drew, but she couldn't work it out then handed the packet over saying "I don't understand why people who shorten their names." Yeah, ok love, but it's MY choice!!

Joe (LSOH) often gets called Joey by me and close friends but frequently, when filling things in especially, other people write Joseph. He was never Joseph, he was christened Joe.

I'd have a word with the teacher about Ellin/Ellen.

Must be tough being a teacher these days but she should call Ellin by her proper name. It's a lovely name too.

Drew

I

I had to go to Royal Mail yesterday to pick up my run clips from Omlet. Showed my ID (formal stuff still in Andrew - not sure if I can change it) and the woman said "This package if for D [surnmame] not Andrew"

Drew

She's just being daft. They must get it all the time with other names: Mr T Blogs (Tony, when the name is actually Anthony, S Blogs (Sasa, when the name is Alexander/ra) etc

I had to go to Royal Mail yesterday to pick up my run clips from Omlet. Showed my ID (formal stuff still in Andrew - not sure if I can change it) and the woman said "This package if for D [surnmame] not Andrew" I told her that I'm known as Drew, but she couldn't work it out then handed the packet over saying "I don't understand why people who shorten their names." Yeah, ok love, but it's MY choice!!

That is ridiculous.

She wouldn't have even mentioned it if you preferred to be know as Andy,& it had said that on the parcel.

Drew really suits you 8)

i went to nursery with a girl called wendy and my mum said i insisted on calling her windy. We went on to go to the same schools all our lives and even in 6th form college I used to refer to her as windy, not to her face though! What's worse is her surname was Brewer so Windy Brewer makes it sound like you're getting ready to... :oops::lol:

I wont go into the ins and outs of the conversation...but I will say the relationship between Ellin's teacher and myself is now worse than it was before our conversation this morning :(

I could be feeling so much better about it all now if the teacher had taken a different approach...I am a very understanding person generally...but her attitude just stinks in my opinion :D

Ho-hum...just hope I hear her say Ellin in the future and not Ellen :roll::roll:

Thanks for all the support...

I wont go into the ins and outs of the conversation...but I will say the relationship between Ellin's teacher and myself is now worse than it was before our conversation this morning :(

I could be feeling so much better about it all now if the teacher had taken a different approach...I am a very understanding person generally...but her attitude just stinks in my opinion :D

Ho-hum...just hope I hear her say Ellin in the future and not Ellen :roll::roll:

Oh dear, not very professional.....hope things improve x x

Sorry to hear that. At my kids school, if you have a problem the first port of call is the class teacher. But if that doesn't work you then go to the head, which is what I'd do. I would see them as soon as you can next week, as there is half term starting at the end of it (well here it is, not sure if it's the same where you are) and not let it fester over the holiday. You are not causing a fuss, and I do not understand why the teacher is being so uncooperative about it. Hope it does get resolved :)

Well I am surprised that this hasn't been quickly sorted out, really the teacher should be thanking you for pointing out her error, I would be mortified if I had mispronouced a child's name in my class. I would also be looking at why a child didn't feel able to approach me and tell me, my children would and do point out my errors and I thank them explaining that every one makes mistakes (we have had a good giggle about some of my mistakes).

Obviously there maybe all sorts of history, however a polite request to say your daughters name correctly should have been dealt with professionally. I would wait and see if she now calls your daughter by her name, if not it is not unreasonable to take the matter further especially if you met a unprofessional response.

ED's name is frequently pronounced incorrectly, she is called Aliyah (Ah-LEE-yah), but people have often pronounced it Ah-LIE-yah. I mean, seriously, what parent would christen their child A-LIAR??!

I'm Tina, and remember several conversations with teachers at Primary school trying to actually convince them that Tina was my name "so is it short for Christina?" "no Miss, it's just Tina". "short for Martina then?" "*sigh* no, miss, it's just Tina". I never could figure out why they had such a hard time believing me, Tina's not such an unusual name :doh:

sometimes i do wonder at the names parents give their children! My mum and dad were considering calling me Louise at one point but changed their minds when they realised it might be shortened to Lou...our family name is Tennant!!!

I'm astonished that the teacher didn't offer an immediate apology and an assurance that it won't happen again. If the behaviour continues, it is tantamount to bullying, especially as she now knows your child is unhappy about it. I would take the matter further if it continues. It is bad enough when children continue to do it when they have been asked not to, but for an adult, particularly one in a position of authority, to behave like this is unprofessional and inexcusable.

I lurched from an unusual maiden name to an even more unusual married name and have spent my entire life being asked ( or told) ...You mean xyz?'. :? so I know how your daughter feels.

...I lurched from an unusual maiden name to an even more unusual married name and have spent my entire life being asked ( or told) ...You mean xyz?'. :? so I know how your daughter feels.

i did always wonder if the 'T' was in the wrong place in your surname! ;)

You wouldn't believe the permutations we have had over the years. :roll:

oh I would, you know my married name? The T at the start has been replaced with a P, F, and S and it's even been assumed we were Chinese, Mr T Ling!!!

I am still smouldering...not sure how I will react if I hear the teacher say 'Ellen' in the future :wall:

I may jump up and down like a demented frog and yell loudly...but then again...I may not :whistle: this was a suggestion from a friend :whistle:

Not too chuffed about a comment from Ellins bestfriends Mum...I must feel sorry for the teacher as she looked miserable the other day and she is between the ages of 25-30 what on earth has that got to do with her saying Ellin's name wrong :eh::roll: I always thought this lady a little strange from the day I met her...unfortunately I have to see her every day...I haven't become chummy with her...we walked our dogs together once...no visit to each others houses for coffee/chat etc...and I don't feel inclined to do that for definite now...it was the way she said it...like I really had to drop the subject and feel sorry for the teacher...so sorry to have a rant about it :anxious: All said and done...I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion :eh:

Lou :(

I love that idea! Now will I be brave enough to say it...watch this space :whistle:

The more I ponder the more I get confused...

The teacher came up with 3 excuses when we spoke on Friday morning...I wonder which one she will stick with!

a) It's her accent (this is the one she spoke about last...strangely)

b) The teachers she has spoken with hear her say Ellin!

c) She gets confused because there is a little girl in the class named Ella

It's all DH fault...at the eleventh hour he changed his mind and decided Clara sounded too pompous :wall:

How strange! I have two ;ittle boys in my class, who after 2 years, I STILL confuse, and call them each others' names.....all but 2 of the boys in my class are small, white and blond, and look alike......at my previous schools, it was ethnically diverse....and much easier!! I have 2 Joshs, 2 Ellas, a Taylor, a Tyler, a Kai, a Sky.....not easy. and like the previous poster, the children take great joy in pointing out the mistakes, especially the Class teachers spelling mistakes....

The teacher came up with 3 excuses when we spoke on Friday morning..

Erm ... isn't there a class register? If she can't read well enough to appreciate the difference between 'e' and 'i' then should she be teaching?

The fact that that almost halfway through the second term of the academic year she remains unacquainted with her pupils is a cause for concern.

The teacher came up with 3 excuses when we spoke on Friday morning...I wonder which one she will stick with!

a) It's her accent (this is the one she spoke about last...strangely)

b) The teachers she has spoken with hear her say Ellin!

c) She gets confused because there is a little girl in the class named Ella

Hold on. hold on. Take a sec to switch places with her and look at it from the other side.

You had been thinking / stewing about this for a few days before you spoke to her, she had not. So it's likely that your conversation came as a bit of a surprise, especially if she genuinely didn't realise that she was saying the name wrong.

I suspect that she was trying to work out for herself why she had been getting the name wrong, and that's why she came up with those 3 things. She probably wasn't trying to come up with excuses, she was just trying to work it out.

I don't know any of the people involved in this, but I have seen many similar situations. I've also been on both ends myself (stewing about something then confronting someone, and being confronted), which is why I try and take a step back before making assumptions now.