fluffy chick

New girls!! 3 wee pekins!! Pics. Intro plan seem ok?

:D

No pics yet sorry! I know I must try and add some soon but been too busy with them today.

All very tiny but laying!

1 mottled, black

1 wheaten

1 lavender

I went thinking I was going to get 3 in one colour (from the same run so they wouldn't fight) but the man there was clearly more knowledgeable than me and said you can get one in each colour as they'll have to sort the pecking order out with mine anyway. He also said put them straight in with mine. :? So I did. I let mine out into the omlet netting though so they all had space to get away from each other.

Within 20 mins 2 of the new ones had popped straight through the netting :shock: so I put all into the eglu run (which is extended twice)

Long story short one of the new ones (lavender, the smallest) was really getting beaten up so I put canes through the eglu run to separate the new 3 from the old 3. The new 3 seem to get ok but still have a go at the wee one, although nothing like my old pekin did. I know I'm probably being soft but I couldn't just watch it.

I have a rabbit hutch kinda pushed up against the opening so they have somewhere to pop into to sleep. But I was wondering if I'm doing the right thing. Should I be putting the new 3 into the eglu at night with the old to sleep?

I would happily put the other new 2 in as they seem to be able to stick up for themselves but wee lavender is so soft. But I wouldn't stand a chance of introducing her later on on her own would I? :? I would really appreciate some advice, they are all eating and drinking, although lavender has to sneak in when no one is watching :cry: Oh and we had 2 eggs off the new girls today (one from lavender I think)

Edited by Guest

Thank you. I'm pleased you agree with what I've done.

They all seem happy enough this morning, although my old pekin keeps 'charging' at the canes separating them and the lavender runs off to hide. :( Although she seems to be getting bored of this. This older pekin has spent a lot of time in the nesting box the last couple of days. I hope she isn't going broody again, this would make her more aggressive wouldn't it? :?

Sorry working on OH to do it for me (I'll go take pics now as I shut them up and flutter hopelessly at him)

Well bramble (it looks like she is broody again :roll: ) is proper narky when broody. Unlike the silkies who are sweeties. I wouldn't mind but she still hasn't regrown her feathers since last time she was broody!! I have considered moving her out on her own if she is broody and putting the new ones in with the 2 silkies then putting bramble back in once she's got over herself. What do you think? Mind you if she is broody she probably won't come out to fight will she? Oh I don't know :?

Ok I'm really worried now. Just been out to them and the new 3 are fighting. As in it looks like the 2 are trying to kill the wee lavender ....... taking it in turns to stand on her and attack her :cry: They won't let her even stand still .......

I thought they were getting on ok (ish) but now I'm thinking about taking her out on her own and putting her in a cardboard box over night. But then what? Please help , don't know what to do ....

Hi guys, well I've been down 3 times this morning and just watched them. They seem ok now, just ignoring her. She hasn't even been chased away from the food or water :? Maybe last night was the worst of it. Maybe I'm just being hopeful though. Is it normal for birds to get picked on at night time when looking for a spot to sleep? Maybe this was it last night. I've decided to leave them to it. I just hope we don't get another session like last night it was horrible.

On another note my older pekin is certainly broody. So my master plan.....leave them as is for a few days to let lavender get used to the other 2 new ones. Then take the broody out on her own and put the new 3 in with the 2 silkies. Then put the broody back in once the dust has settled.....

what do you think? :? Would love some advice from someone more knowledgeable! (Not hard :lol: ) I am annoyed at breeder though as I've had to do intros before the intros iykwim?!

I have a similiar issue with all the flock, including her former run-mate, ostracising poor Hope the pekin. She's by no means the smallest & they aren't actually horrible to her, they just clearly don't invite her to join them as they range together - though they do allow her into the cube at night. I don't think it's probably hurting her, but it makes me feel so miserable to see her - it's as if she's constantly the child crying "Wait for me" :(

Is it normal for birds to get picked on at night time when looking for a spot to sleep?

Yep - you get that in the early days!

Brill. thank you, so maybe it'll be easier tonight?!

Thanks plum. The breeder had hundreds of birds and judges at shows he clearly knows his stuff. I guess when you have that many birds the odd bullied bird isn't an issue. I doubt he would notice as he was very laid back about everything. 'They'll work it out' kinda attitude. OH is of the same opinion, maybe I'm just being soft. :roll:

They all seemed quiet and happy a few minutes ago. I've been and got some anti pecking spray and put it on her for what it's worth. Anyway I am fairly happy the new 3 are ok during the day now. I'm a bit worried about tonight. I am going to be on hand tonight in case I need to split them up. I was considering (if they are attaching her again) taking her out (to watch some tele) and popping her in next to them when it's dark and they are asleep. Crazy thought? :roll:

Sorry I don't have any advice, but I hope you get it all sorted soon! I guess you just have to take these things slowly, and it sounds good that they are letting her share water and food. Good luck! :)

thanks sam

Bless you, goodinparts, you sound as soft as me. :lol: Sounds really sad for her though. Funny how we decide what they must be thinking, they are probably just thinking 'ooo look bug, ooo look corn, ooo look bug again' :lol:

I don't think you are bing soft. If the breeder has lots and lots I guess he may not worry too much about the odd individual but us pet keepers well, that's different :wink:

You seem to be doing all the right things and have all the right plans e.g. putting the newbies in with the Silkies.

I have a really tiny little Frizzle called Daisy. She just seems to be, well, runty, and is far smaller than her sister. I read somewhere that the last egg to hatch in a clutch (hatch) can sometimes end up producing a smaller bird as they get pushed over by the stronger chicks who have had even a tiny bit more time to get food and the best place under Mum.

Anyway, long story short, my tiny Frizzle wasn't allowed on the perch by the others from when I got her in November till just this month. She used to huddle in a corner. Now suddenly she is allowed up on the perch. I have two perches in my hen house and though both are exactly the same hight, the one at the back is the big girls' perch and has all the top chooks, whereas the one nearer the pop hole is the underlings perch. This is where little Daisy sits with my sweetest Silkies.

Hoping this works it took me ages :lol:

so wee lavender is the first 2, then blackberry then strawberry.

then the 2 blue belles wanted to be famous.

then there is a pic of bramble who actually ventured out of the nesting box, then mistletoe the silkie, I didn't get a good one of gooseberry.

th_DSCF5050.jpg

th_DSCF5053.jpg

th_DSCF5055.jpg

th_DSCF5057.jpg

th_DSCF5063.jpg

th_DSCF5064.jpg

th_DSCF5066.jpg

thanks everyone I'm biased but you're all right. :D

Great news! I've just been sat watching them go to bed (pink dressing gown and wellies combo!) and although there were some scuffles they have all gone to bed together and lavender didn't get beaten up at all! :D I could hear them scuffling around deciding who gets to sleep where but not too many squeaks iykwim?! I'm hoping the more times they wake up together the more they'll feel like a flock. :?

They are all gorgeous. Lavender looks a darling :D

yes she is, she actually comes to me to be stroked and picked up, I've never known a chicken like her (although this may be because she want to get away from the other chickens) She is def my favourite :wink: