Surfnirvana

Old Lady - difficulty getting into cube

My little Rose has been getting increasingly frail recently. She is 3 years old, still bright eyed, eating & drinking, but has just slowed down quite a lot.

The last few nights, I have found her underneath the cube going to sleep, so I've been picking her up and popping her straight into the cube - she heads to the nesting box where Doris is and settles straight down, all very happy.

I watched her last night and even though I have put a wooden step infront of the steps, she tried to jump up, flapped her wings, but just couldn't make it up, bless her.

Has anyone else had this when they have elderly chooks? She is such a sweetheart, & I don't mind lifting her to bed overnight..... Do they make Stanner chair lifts for chickens?? :lol:

First of all I would check that there is nothing going on with her general health rather than her legs preventing her getting up and down easily. In particular I would check her abdomen for tightness, fluid or swelling. If all is well, you could add some Lifeguard to her water which contains glucosamine. Cod liver oil may also help. Putting a step in the way of a block of some sort for her will also make life easier for her :)

I agree with Chucky Mama, it may be a sign that something is wrong rather than it being age related. Did she feel a good weight when you picked her up or did her breast bone feel sharp? Or it could possibly be a balance issue. The only reason I mention it is that I had a hen do the same thing last year and she was only 18 months - sadly it wasn't a happy outcome :(

Thanks for all your advice. I have checked her over and although quite thin, she seems ok. She has been free ranging all afternoon quite happily - just a little slower. I have put some zolcal in her water in case it is a calcium deficiency and in their other water is poultry tonic. I have found some bricks and have made some shallow steps up to the ladder. Here's hoping that may work!

Sadly 3 years seems to be a normal life expectancy for a GNR - the best thing you can do is make her remaining time as easy for her as you can.

oooo...I have ex bats older than 3... and i know of 4 , 7 and 12 year olds. (yes not the "norm" but gives us all hope!)

Perhaps as she is slower she does not compete for her food too.

Maybe a little "special" time on her own with some high calorie treats?

If she is not ailing then perhaps some building up will help.

bless her