newcountrygirl

Chickens and Rhubarb - not a gourmet dish

You're right on both counts. Yes, it is supposed to be poisonous. And can they eat it ... I should say so, mine stripped the plant as soon as it showed a leaf! I would take steps either to protect the rhubarb or move it - my hens showed no ill-effects but it could be poisonous, and more to the point you won't get any rhubarb if you let them near it. I moved mine into the fenced-off veg patch and am enjoying rhubarb crumble for the first time this year since I got my hens.

OH stuck a cloche over our rhubarb to protect it from the chooks. Thing is we have 2 plants and the one in the open was ignored by the girls, but when the other plant grew too big for the cloche, I took it off. Yayyy go the chickens, tender leaves to eat. :roll: Since then they haven't touched it as the new leaves are much tougher. I was quite surprised they ate it as they haven't done so before, so can only guess it was because the plants were hardened. :?

Georgina was always very small and somehow managed to squeeze into the vegetable patch once, she only stripped one leaf before I found her in there. I was in such a panic because I'd heard that the leaves were poisonous. I had a look on here and it seems that several members hens have eaten it and survived to tell the tale. We built a wooden box to protect Georgie from the rhubarb (and vice versa!), she was the only one who has ever showed any interest in the rhubarb thankfully.