Surfnirvana

New chooks arrived! Lesson learnt!

I'm delighted to share with you that I now have 4 new lovely chooks, who arrived on Sunday! 2 x Columbian Black Tails (Bess & Mary - very friendly) and 2 x Sussex Stars (Polly (Top Hen) & Ivy - rather flighty) They are gorgeous! As soon as I have worked out how to up load piccies I will! :clap:

However...... I originally wanted to have some Buff Orpingtons and I found a "hobbyist" breeder not far from me, who had Buff and Blue Orps available at £25 each! I went to have a look at them last Friday. They were in a large area with about 100 other chooks of all sizes and shapes. The hen houses looked reasonably clean but the breeder said they were due to clean them out that day. The Orps, were bright eyed and seemed really well so I agreed to collect them the following evening. When we went to collect them, I picked them up and had a good look over them. They were covered in lice!! :shock: The breeder seemed shocked too, poor little things, but this obviously meant the rest of the flock was infested too. I decided to back away from taking them, which the breeder understood. It was all very disppointing, but the next day we went to another reputable breeder, who had some lovely hybrids in and we took home 4 of them. Had our first egg yesterday! :clap:

My current older lady chooks are utterly disgusted at the new arrivals. I am keeping them apart at the moment as I have been lucky enough to borrow my friend's spare eglu which has been very handy. I am going to attempt putting them together tonight at dark in the cube and keep my fingers crossed. Rose is so frail now that if Polly picks on her I'm worried she will get flattened. (I'm having to lift Rose up into the cube every night now as she tumbled down the steps yesterday - love her).

I'll keep you posted!