Old Speckled Hen Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 What a lovely thing to say Thank you........... you've made my day Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kerryegg Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 1969 so silver mini dress. One I had bought ages before. Register office so husband wore his work one and only suit and we had a party afterwards in the flat we had just rented. People in the next flat lent us some chairs and my friends made the sandwiches. Lots to drink but only my relatives let the side down by getting drunk. Next time my daughter visits I'll get her to put on a photo Good for a laugh and I have still got the dress but it's a bit tight now! Whole wedding only cost about £40 which was quite a lot in 1969. You could fill the car up for about 10 bob, 50p now. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 That looks lovely OSH Looking forward to seeing the kilt Gongladosh, and good luck. We went to a lovely wedding on Saturday - local friends, both over 50, so a quiet affair, but a wonderful atmosphere. Another friend married last year and had their non-religious ceremony in the local Rollright Stone circle, which has the most amazing views over the countryside (see below). Everyone wore what they felt comfortable in, so a wide variety of things. The bride and groom left in a shire-drawn cart adorned with flowers and we all drove to the local pub for bangers (free range and local of course) and mash - best wedding I've ever been to and a very happy event. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LisaP Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 We got married in 1987, hence the very typical eighties style which was still very much in the style of Diana's. It was ivory, I had a very simple headress and plain, short veil and no train. The dress cost just under £400 which was a lot of money at the time. I think it is also very similar to Cinnamon's dress. Mods - sorry about the huge photo but even my tech support (DD) couldn't get it to go smaller Lisa P Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 1969 so silver mini dress. You could fill the car up for about 10 bob, 50p now. OMG kerryegg, I had one of those when I was 16 in 1967. What did we wear And yes about the petrol.....I went to uni in 1969 and it cost me £5.00 to drive 400 miles there in my mini. LisaP you look wonderful........ I always wanted to be a bridesmaid when I was little and to get married in white in a church. I never managed either.............. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MummyHen Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 I'm loving this thread - so many beautiful people and dresses To see how the fashions have changed is brilliant and to hear the stories behind your wedding days Mine was small 43 people I think; we were going to get married in on the Sunday of the August bank holiday; so people could recover on the Monday. But my father (a member of the clergy) didn't like the idea of people drinking on Sunday. So we brought the wedding forward to June and got married in Bromley reg office, we lived in Sidcup but the reg office at the time was a horrid ramshackle house, its now in a lovely Georgian mansion. Had the reception at home and then in the evening had a huge party for 250 people at the rugby club - with lots of drinking dancing and merriment All that was 21years ago next month - both of us a little greyer and heavier but still are mad about each other Here's my contribution Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rhapsody Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 Ill have to work out the scanner... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MummyHen Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 I took a digital photo as the photos are stuck in the wedding album Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Margalot Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 Ooh i am loving this thread! so lovely to see everyones photos! I will have to scan and do one of our wedding. We got married secretly in st Lucia in 1993, we never told anyone we were getting married as just didnt want the fuss, we found the witnesses at the hotel, they were also getting married and we had such a wonderful day. Just what we wanted. Oh boy didn' we get told off when we got home! My dress was short and simple, in just folded in half and went in the case, Weddings abroad were just taking off back then. Our registrar had hardly any teeth and when we arrived at the beach she was sat eating a watermelon and spitting the pips out! They made us a cake and did the flowers etc we had around 30 photos taken and a video, which I must get put onto dvd, so we can watch again. within half an hour of the ceremony we got back in the pool.... lovely jubbly! I always thought I wanted a big do but am so happy with what we did, I must admit its not for everyone but the two of us pleased just ourselves and its been that way ever since! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted May 3, 2011 Author Share Posted May 3, 2011 these photos are a bit rubbish as they are also stuck in the album! 3 bridesmaids - my nieces; dresses from Laura Ashley (oldest) and John Lewis. oldest is now a mum of 2, and the little ones had to take their petticoats off because it was such a hot day! this one's really blurry, but you can see the colour I hope. we went away to the reception in a white London cab festooned with ribbons. mum in law made the cake, which was gorgeous but we had lots of little kids at the wedding = chocolate finger marks everywhere! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 Here's my contribution (again). We got married in 1985 at the grand old age of 21 & 22 - so young when we look at our 2 older kids now of 23 and 20 or were we more grown up then? This was the only dress I tried on (I feel so cheated now that I really fancy going and trying on lots of wedding dresses). I loved the dress as soon as I tried it on and everyone said it suited me so that was it. Job done. I had 6 bridesmaids who had dusky pink dresses that my mum made. I feel quite sorry for my mum and dad as my brother got married the year before me and my sister got married the year after. In close up photographs you can see that I've forgotten to put my main earrings in and I've just got the dove earring that OH and I had one each of (I decided not to wear his spark plug earring) At the back of the dress I had a sort of layered small bustle and during the evening wedding video I would be standing talking to people and swishing it out constantly. I also had a strapless bra on which kept sliding down (not much there to keep it up at the time) so I had to keep going and hoicking it up. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted May 3, 2011 Author Share Posted May 3, 2011 seagazer - Kate had a bustle too!!! you trendsetter you! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 I thought I'd posted mine earlier, but obviously previewed then forgot to 'submit' Here goes... I was 30 and got married 3 weeks after we decided to do it; talk about' marry in haste... '. My aunt made the dress, but what on earth was my mother wearing I had just had my hair cut from waist-length Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 seagazer - Kate had a bustle too!!! you trendsetter you! so wish I was but sadly I'm definitely not. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 I love this one of me, my dad and my sister because he's no longer with us and I'm so glad we finally (after 16 years of being together) got round to getting married. because dad got seriously ill and died a cple of years after this. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
PurpleTree Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 That's a lovely photo Poet, love those flowers Well we got married in June 2002, exactly 4 years after we met. I was 21 and he was 22. It was in our local Church, with the vicar I've known since I was about 8, and my brother organised the bells - most of the ringers had known me since I was little. The colour scheme was lilac and silver. I wore a separate fitted bodice and long swooshy skirt, which had a tiny little train on it. Waist length veil which had all sparkly bits on it. The bodice had embroidered flowers and sequins on it and was edged in lilac, although you can't really see it in the photos. We had gorgeous vintage cars. An open topped Rolls Royce with the reg BDA 666, and a Daimler Limo. I loved my ride in the Rolls, would love to hire it again one day. My flowers weighed a ton and had the tiniest handle to hold them by, I needed two hands on them at all times, which is why hubby has his hand looped through mine rather than the other way around. Hubby's father was his best man and his sister was my bridesmaid. Here's one of my faves of all of us. It was taken in the churchyard. I loved every minute of it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 This was us in 1992, I didn't want a full length dress and I loved this one as soon as I saw it, it was very pale pink silk, with a big bow on the back, I had matching shoes and felt like a real princess. I am a jeans girl as a rule, but it was lovely to dress up for the day. We only had 45 people at our wedding and we had a 2 night honeymoon in a hotel in Bourton on The Water(a whole 16 miles away from home ), the whole thing including dress, food and honeymoon cost us £1500. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jackie45 Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 I bought a dress in Oxford St for £24 when I got married in 1969. Still have it but never going to get into it again! My shoes were little Louis heeled shoes, gold. Just before leaving for the church a heel came off so my dad found a hammer in his very messy garage and bashed it back on again. Seems ages ago but we are still together. Jackie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 You all look so lovely.........sigh I married my first husband three weeks after meeting him without telling anybody either. Got wed in the afternoon and went back to work in the evening to sign my newly married name for the first time in a dog's vaccination certificate. One of my nurses spotted it and shrieked the place down My mother was furious It was a rocky marriage but there were plenty of good bits.....my DD being the best. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 A colleague form my past had a similar wedding - her OH worked at the same company, she had the morning off and came in after lunch... married They just hadn't wanted a fuss. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rhapsody Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 I took a digital photo as the photos are stuck in the wedding album Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rhapsody Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 Not a great shot sorry. The dress was a maid of honour dress from Liberty of London's sale, chosen by my husband we were married on the beach in St Lucia under a hibiscus arch and hummingbirds came to sip at the flowers. My bouquet was picked in the hotel gardens by the staff and I had a steel band play 'Here Comes the Bride' It was just the two of us and we didnt tell anyone, in those days it was Registry Office or church and we didnt want either so we jetted off to do the deed it was so romantic........ Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Yorkshire Pudding Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 we went away to the reception in a white London cab festooned with ribbons. Me too - I had forgotten! My Dad is a London cab driver so naturally my sister and I weren't going to get wed in any other vehicle! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted May 3, 2011 Author Share Posted May 3, 2011 we went away to the reception in a white London cab festooned with ribbons. Me too - I had forgotten! My Dad is a London cab driver so naturally my sister and I weren't going to get wed in any other vehicle! our cabbie was a star! we were too early for the service, so went round the Wandsworth one way system again, only to encounter massive traffic - cutting people up left right and centre, he was driving for Britain. at one point things got so bad my Dad was waving my bouquet out of the window to clear the route, my mum and I were in hysterics! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 Lovely photo Rhapsody I had a white cab too - I lived and worked in London at the time, so it seemed right. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...