AJuff

New to hens, can you help?

Hi, i'v just taken a brave step and ordered an eglu. I've wanted one for over a year. I will have to buy hens locally as we are out of hen delivery zone. I have a few questions . . .

Can you get a mix of hen types or do some not mix well?

Do I need to keep them in their run until they start laying?

How high can they jump/fly with clipped wings? Can they get up steps easily?

What time of day is best to collect eggs?

Do I use straw or hay in the egg laying bit of the eglu?

If they start to lay in the eglu will they always come back to the same place to lay or will I have to hunt the eggs?

Should I close the eglu door when they are in for the night?

Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Hello AJuff, I will try and answer a few questions!

Can you get a mix of hen types or do some not mix well? hydrids mix fine with pure breeds, but don't mix bantans with big 'uns

Do I need to keep them in their run until they start laying?No, just for the 1st few days until they learn where home is

How high can they jump/fly with clipped wings? Can they get up steps easily? 6 ft fencing should be fine, yes they can do steps

What time of day is best to collect eggs? 1st thing in the morning wearing dressing gown and slippers! - no anytime is fine!!

Do I use straw or hay in the egg laying bit of the eglu? Def straw, hay contains mould spores and shouldn't be used. Try aubiose in the nest/droppings tray and run see here

If they start to lay in the eglu will they always come back to the same place to lay or will I have to hunt the eggs? Mine have always laid in the nest box, but some do lay surprises all over the garden

Should I close the eglu door when they are in for the night? Some do, I lock the run door every night, but leave the eglu door open unless its really cold

Hope this helps! Ask away, there is always someone on here to answer!

Welcome to the forum - this is the best place to get your questions answered, and remember NO question is too daft to ask on here, lots of us began with no knowledge at all!

I think Christian has answered all the questions, but I'll just add another mention for aubiose/hemcore, use it in the run, in the droppings tray and in the nest box.

As for collecting eggs ... well it depends when they lay, at the moment my girls are both laying before 7.00 am, but a month or so ago, it was nearer midday. There's no problem with leaving them and collecting at night, or even the next day if you have to.

And I leave the Eglu door open all night, I might try shutting it again in the winter if it's very cold, but chickens like to get up much earlier than I do! (specially at weekends :wink: )

Hi and welcome AJuff,

Christian has covered all points.

I did lots of web surfing of breeder websites before I went to get a new chook just so I knew roughly what was out there. But in the end, actually phoning local breeders/agents for advice was best. They are all expert in the particular types they sell and you will get some good advice. So I would say make a few tentative phone calls first just to see what breeds they sell, what they recomend then get back to them once you've done a bit of research.

Then after all that, you'll find that you'll just go along and fall in love with a chicken and that will be that.....

I don't want to be controversial, but you really can mix bantams with hybrids, it just depends on the personalities of the birds themselves. I had a small, established flock of banties and added two hybrids (brown girls) and they were firmly put in their place by the bantams. So it's not an absolute No No, I'd say "it depends"!! :)

Can't really add much, apart from to say that you can use shredded paper in the nestbox and poo tray as well. It's free, it composts well, and it mean even the most determined ID thief will have to go above and beyind the call of duty to get your account details.... :wink:

Hi Foxy Loxy

Hay is dried grass whereas straw is the dried stems of crops like wheat and barley. Pet shops do sell both.

Hay is a no no for chickens, but straw is okay, although shavings or hemcore/aubiose are meant to be better. An experienced contributor to P P magazine says that straw can look perfectly dry on the surface but be soaking beneath, which is extremely harmful to chickens.

Thank you for all the advice. I feel more confident getting hens now. I have rung around local breeders and I am waiting to find out what type of hens they have for sale. Are rarer breeds more difficult to keep? It's just my daughter loves the colour of their eggs. Also are all hens friendly?

to answer a few of your questions -

We collect eggs at any time during the day (depends when they lay)

We use aubiose/hemcore in the run (works like magic!)

I shut the eglu door at night (when it gets dark) and open the door in the mornings (6-7am)

Some folks leave the eglu door open so their girls can come out when they like. My run door it always shut when the girls are in the run.

I think most breeds are friendly. Im no chicken expert, but I have a "chicken encyclopedia" which tells you about every chicken breed (im sure you could research the same on the web though), also omlet has a breed guide. Some chickens can become tamer than others. Some chickens lay better than others, your breeder will be able to advise.

Egg colours can also vary from White to blue to normal pale beige to dark dark brown. Some owners go for a variety of breeds to get a mixture of coloured eggs. :)

just another tip - jusr make sure your breeder has vacinated your chickens - always check this, a good reputable breeder will have done so anyway - but best to ask !!

let us know what you decide

I can only echo all the advice given. It is definitely worth checking on how many eggs you can expect to get. It does vary quite a bit. Most are very friendly and I have found breeders will always give genuine advice and guide you when you go to choose. Good luck and have fun.

we have hybrids and bantams living very happyly in the same eglu :D

it did'nt take them long to sort out the pecking order and now they follow the big girls around and the big girls protect them :shock:

so what ever you decide to get good luck with them

Well still a bit confused as to what hen . . . .

My very local reputable breeder has Black Rocks, Goldlines and Spekeldy point of lay chickens.

A bit further away they have Fenning Sussex and Pied Suffolk . . .

They are all suitable I am told. Any advice or is it a case of picking a nice looking bird?

Thank for that . . . I'm starting to get excited at the thought of them running around the garden. The children are beside themselves they can't wait for the eglu to be delivered next week.

As for what hen . . . I've found Paula's Poultry and there are lots of other nice looking birds there . . . . . .

Can't really add much, apart from to say that you can use shredded paper in the nestbox and poo tray as well. It's free, it composts well, and it mean even the most determined ID thief will have to go above and beyind the call of duty to get your account details.... :wink:

i use shredded paper in the nest box- in fact i bought my shredder last month especially for that reason. My parents are pleased because I used to give them all my confidential papers to burn on their coal fire, & this made lots of mess & ash :wink:

If you do decide to use shredded paper, a tip I read on this forum is to use short lengths of it, so that when the girls get up after laying they don't bring it all into the run wrapped around their ankles. I tend to tear A4 sheets in half first before shredding, does the trick nicely.

Seems to be a shortage of hens in the North East. We are still waiting for them. We think a Daisybelle, Sussex and Rhode Star are on their way up North soon. The wait is terrible, made worse by the eglu arriving today . . . .