Martin B

Making your own herbal tea...

As those of you who read my blog know, I bought some of the 'fill your own herbal tea bags' when I made a recent Omlet order for some beekeeping supplies.

Has anybody else tried making their own herbal tea? I've tried Nettles so far and it was ok. My girlfriend liked it better than I did.

If you've tried it yourself then what flavours have you tried.

Looking for some inspiration...

Martin :)

i think that you are supposed to use only the tips of the nettles - not the whole nettle, that might have made it slightly bitter (if it was :? )

have you tried mint tea? :D

have a look at the herbal tea isle in the supermarket for ideas :D

sounds a great idea though, can you re-use the tea bags?

cathy

x

I had some German chamomile teabags once, they had just whole flower heads in, and were quite palatable.

I bet mint would work well, but I wouldn't waste my mint as I'm saving it all for mint cordial :D

I've just had a look in my 'Complete book of herbs' though, and it recommends anise, chamomile, lemon verbena, lime blossom, mint, rose hip and sage as good herb teas. I've got hyssop in the garden and you can use the flowering tops to make tea (not to be taken if pregnant).

I absolutely love kakade. It's hibiscus flowers tea & is beautiful! I've had bedouin tea which was loose tea, sage, thyme, mint & honey. We tried copying it back at home, but it was vile! :lol: I think for it to taste nice - it should have a fruit base maybe? Dried apricots in with the herbs or some lemon zest? :anxious:

Emma.x

Making your own tea is fun.

You can really experiment combining any of the following (don't forget the honey)

- commonly know leaf teas like peppermint, nettle, camomile, and raspberry leaves make good tea. Any of these green leaf teas are of course high in iron as well as other minerals and vitamins. You can use fresh but you will find that you need more than you think to make just one cup/pot. I think that drying the leaves first is better for most leaf teas

- then there are the spices, cinnamon, clove and (fresh) ginger

- then the seeds, cardamon, fennel, aniseed and nutmeg.

- then the fruits, lemon and orange (probably best used fresh) and apple and berries dried or fresh (pulverised)

Some well know combinations to start off with :- apple&cinnamon, lemon&ginger, orange&clove

I used to be a lot more adventurous BC (before children not chickens) so thanks for reminding me, I'm off to to the kitchen to see what I can rustle up.

:)

My 16 year old girl makes her own brews.

She has a little infuser thing and she fills it with whatever she fancies......mint or lemon balm from the garden,spices or vanilla pods,along with some black tea.

When we went to Kos a few years ago we found this amazing permanent market,selling every herb and spice you can think of. We really want to go back,so we can stock up,especially on the vanilla which was wonderful and so cheap.

Chamomile...........grows like a weed here so I make loads of that.

Elderflower,fennel,borage,wild raspberry,blackberry,rowan all grow well here and I pick plenty from the hedgerows to make tea. I dry the flowers separately so that I can mix. Verbena flowers from the garden are really good in a tea to sort upset tummies.