Hi witzend

I have a walk in run on pavers. On the floor I put dust extracted wood chip. ( £6 large bale is more than enought to cover a 6 feet+ 9 feet run and still have plenty to use in the cube). As the run is covered I only change the woodchip every 3-4 months. I just rake it over every week and spinkle it with disinfectant power.

Hope this helps

Sage

Hi - I'm considering 2/3 hens but will have to keep them on a flagged area (I've no lawn to start with!) -from experience, what have people found the pros and cons of:

Bark.....heavy,can get water logged & claggy.Potential health issues from mould spores.

Soil...topped with Aubiose (a horse bedding), this can work well - I have been doing this for many years. Not good if your ground is prone to getting water logged or is clay.Aubiose is light,easily compostable & very absorbant.

Gravel......heavy,doesn't allow good drainage,you need to hose poo away very regularly. Potential to harm hens feet too.

Straw....Not good. Gets wet & waterlogged,plus the hollow tubes can harbour mites.

Other....Aubiose or similar on flags or soil is really good,but you do need your run to be covered.

??

Thanks xx

Not used gravel, bark or soil

but Strawsorb (rape straw) worked really well and goes a long way. It really dries things up and smells good at £5 odd a bale.

Aubiose and Hemcore (Hemp straw) are excellent but more expensive (£9-£12) and Hemcore can have fibres which ball around toes in muddy weather.

Soft wood chip works well in uncovered run and reasonable price (£4-6).

Easibed is wood pulp and works well but doesn't dry droppings as thoroughly as the rape and hemp beds £8.

Bedmax is cheaper wood flakes and was comparable to easibed £5-6.

I think there is a sticky somewhere about beddings maybe in FAQ section :D

I just buy what's in stock and better one if I'm feeling flush :D

i went for the half flagged half gravel base with hardwood chippings on the top i have been lucky with the dry weather at the moment as the wir is new and has only been up just over 2 months i have been trying to put a roof on it for the last month but because of the wind no luck all the roof panels and bearers are stuck at the bottom of the garden but i am going to see how i get on with the cleaning regime once the roof is on cause i am left with the option of fully flagging it at a later date if need be

DSCF8308.jpg

DSCF8306.jpg

nearly there! Phew!

Eglu reserved, big shopping list made, waiting for quote for run, going to see possible chooks.............

Fav covering for flagged, covered run:

Aubiose

Easibed

Hemcore

Hardwood chips

either on their own or a mix

I keep reading other posts/FAQ re bedding but am spinning!!! :oops:

Hi there

without wishing to distract from the original post, I have a similar question. I've got my Eglu classic inside a netted run area 3.5m x 6m. The 3m Eglu run has 3 bags of natural woodchip in it. The rest of the run is grass (which will soon be soil I'm sure) and soil. I just rake over the woodchips now and again and dig over sections of the soil now and again. I'm not using any disinfectant although I've seen Stalosan F mentioned in several places. Should I be using something on a regular basis in the Eglu run and WIR and if so do the chickens need to be kept off it for a while or can it be done of a morning whilst they are locked in the coop?