LunaKiw1

£1.50 per egg?

We've now had our 2 Omlet girls for about two and a quarter years. We bought them along with an Eglu Classic and 2m run, glug/grub etc and have recently add an Omlet WIR. By the time I add in the cost of even the minimum regular expenditure on layers pellets, stalosan, bokashi and wormer (although no bedding, as I attribute the cost of straw to the horse) then their total payback of around 1100 eggs to date makes the cost of each egg work out at around £1.50! If I added in the weekly cost of their treats such as corn on the cob and fruit etc it would be even more! Has anyone else done this sort of calculation or is it best not to even contemplate the actual cost? Having done it however I would still agree with that credit card advert's punchline of 'priceless' as the cost of the pleasure and amusement that Ginger and Pepper bring us every day!

Edited by Guest

I like that idea :D Even so our eggs are indeed priceless. Not only is there all the cost of extra mealworms, grapes, bananas, lettuce, destroyed perennials etc. etc. there is also the cost of the time I waste watching them, talking to them, photographing them and generally doing not a lot with them :whistle:

After having my run turned into a WIR, the new smaller house and run to fit inside my new WIR (all built by my OH), new feeders, drinkers, treats etc, my OH says "these new hens you're getting had better lay golden eggs", to which I replied "I don't ask for much :angel: , surely you can't put a price on my happiness" :D:lol: *OH tuts and walk away* :lol:

But I bet they're the most amazing eggs you've ever tasted? I have kept a list of how much my girls cost to keep. I spent a small fortune when I first got them with housing and 'essentials' (debatable! :lol: ) but they're not expensive to keep now I have all the 'stuff', well, when comparing to the other pets I own. ;)

£1.50 per egg? I reckon that's a bargain!! :lol: Given how much we spoil our lot and the cost of recent vets bills, I would never have the courage to actually work out what our eggs cost! :lol::lol: But, no matter how much it is, I wouldn't be without them, they bring so much life to the garden and happiness to me, they're priceless. :D

Ah but you have to factor in the slug and snail control, the free compost, and the sheer joy of looking at the garden and seeing hens snoozing, pecking or dustbathing in the borders. As you said above - priceless!

I've been doing this for two years and try to factor in everything from housing and fencing to bedding, food to treats, and vet visits, medicines and supplements (although the dog is in debt to them as he is now sharing their cod liver oil). Mind you I hadn't thought of subtracting anything for benefits to the compost heap :lol: .

Anyway with five chickens cost is currently £1.07 an egg, so I reckon it is certainly cost effective to have more chickens :) .

We've never worked out the cost per egg but our ex-batts are worth every penny. To see them blossom into the beautiful girls they were meant to be and to see them happily scratching around, sunbathing, running after you for treats etc is invaluable :)

Agree that the joy of keeping my girlies is priceless!

The only advantage of a horse it it provides more manure than a chicken!

OH never questions the cost of his breakfast eggs. We had a bargin that if I had chickens he could have bees and his first "nucleus" arrives in about three weeks.

At least I don't have to dress up in a silly suit to play with my pets! :lol:

Agree that the joy of keeping my girlies is priceless!

The only advantage of a horse it it provides more manure than a chicken!

OH never questions the cost of his breakfast eggs. We had a bargin that if I had chickens he could have bees and his first "nucleus" arrives in about three weeks.

At least I don't have to dress up in a silly suit to play with my pets! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::clap:

Thats brilliant...i love to bargain too...

I started to add up the cost when i got my girls (3yrs ago) but soon gave up..Only the best will do for my ladies in Cluckingham palace. :D