Couperman

UK manufacturers, do we have any?

Just a thought, but during today's well anticipate Cube building episode (which nearly came about) I thought about how many products, especially heavy industry are still produced/manufactured in the UK.

I could only think of one Omlet! and that's not really heavy Industry!!

Any thoughts!

Please restore my faith if you can :shock:

Kev.

I used to run the office for a company that made shop fittings (rails etc)

Used to as I stopped working they're still going as far as I know

We still make parts for planes thats pretty heavy duty

What sort of things were you thinking of?

I work in the textile industry and it is so very sad to see many of the clothing manufacturers I have worked with for many years close due to orders going off shore due to big corporate companies putting cost over anything else.

I worked for Courtaulds Textiles, one of the few, great UK manufacturers that had an outstanding reputation and a huge work force. It has now closed most of it's uk factories and design offices.

Leicester was a big hoisery/textile manufactoring city, and it's sad to see these beautful old buildings in the city being turned into luxury apartments. Granted, it's better than leaving them to rot, but would be better if the building still served its original purpose. Makes me quite sad.

I used to get really upset and rant about this on the forum a lot - I bet if you search for Chubb, Doulton, Rover, HP Sauce, ALSTOM, Peugeot, Goodyear, (and I know there are more but I can't remember them right now) then I'm sure there are some pretty lengthy posts where I moan about the plight of Midlands manufacturing...

What also worries me is the state of some of the children you hear on the radio and how thick they are. They had joy riders being interviewed on our local station this morning and they could hardly string a sentence together - and these are the people who have had their entire schooling under Blair's "Education, Education, Education" mantra...

:?

Scary!

Ooh, I spent six months working as a translator for ALSTOM - but in France where they call it ALSTHOM! They had a site in Lincoln too (which I think is now Siemens) but that used to be Rustons Gas Turbines before it was Alstom. Things seem to change hands so often I can't keep up with who's who and what on earth they do :roll:

Rover is open again. Just has a great big Nanjing Automobile sign outside :evil:

They pulled down acres and acres of brick built factory buildings there, it almost made me cry when I saw it. I am in south Birmingham so Rover (and Cadburys) was a part of everyones life here. The streets used to empty during 'industrial fortnight' when we all went on our holidays :D

When I drive past Longbridge in my (very old) Metro, I always say to the car "this is where you were born!" :oops:

There are a few industrial areas near me, petrochemical and steelworks mainly, nearly all are foreign owned. One that really bought it home was when Corus the Dutch steelmaker (formerly British Steel) were taken over by Indian Firm TaTa.

The irony of that wasn't lost on me, TaTa indeed!

Kev.