squiffs

My Neighbour is encouraging foxes in her garden - advice?

Sorry if this has been posted before :(

My neighbourhood has a colony of foxes in it, and they seem to be based in my neighbour's garden. I've seen them sunbathing on the grass at the far end of her garden, and they've come into my garden in the past and ripped up bin bags filled with grass clippings in search of rubbish.

I know she's encouraging them deliberately because my dad's dog ran into the neighbour's back garden one afternoon when she'd left the gate open to work out the front, and came trotting out with a pig head in her mouth :!::!::!: my neighbour only has one cat, so I know that the pig head wasn't a treat for a pet of hers...

Our neighbourhood are constantly complaining about the noise and nuisance the foxes make/cause, and she's definitely not ignorant of that fact, so I guess what I'm asking here (for the sake of my future chickens!) is what action I can take - some people have suggested calling the RSPCA to get the foxes relocated, but I'm not sure how possible that actually is - and surely it'd depend on the foxes being in her garden at the time when the RSPCA turned up? HELP! :wall:

Edited by Guest

I get the feeling that trying to reason with your neighbour isn't an option - we've had similar lately, so I'd expect you'll have to do the following:

- buy a couple of foxwatch devices

- get a man to 'water the lawn' (male pee contains pheremones that read to a fox as 'a VERY big fox is present') under cover of darkness

- put the run on slabs (covering every square inch and beyond the run and eglu)

- put bricks on the skirt of the run

- close the eglu door at dusk (although foxes are often out during daylight hours, the biggest risk time for most of the year is the hours of darkness and twilight).

Not sure if the RSCPA will move foxes on - from what I understand, it's not as simple as grabbing them and moving them to the country, foxes are adapted to living in towns, so to put one in the country would probably lead to it dying of starvation).

We have foxes living a couple of doors along and so far, touch wood, we've been ok - that said, we are vigilant - I once caught one in the next garden when my hens were out free ranging, so these days we only let them out when we're physically in the garden keeping an eye on them. I'd rather not take the chance.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, we're putting the eglu on concrete slabs and putting 7kg breeze blocks on the skirting. they'll be restricted to the run itself when I'm at work and only free-ranging when I'm in eyeshot of them. I feel so bad having to keep them that cooped up ('scuse the pun), but I'm also a little worried about them getting spooked or scared during the day by a nosey/hungry fox :( do they cope okay with close encounters? anyone's experience with that would be great...

I just checked on the RSPCA website and they actually give advice for people who would LIKE to feed foxes and encourage them - they say the general concensus is that people like to see them - and that's not the case in any of the places I've lived, so I'm not sure how outdated their sources are! but I guess the RSPCA will be little to no help if they are encouraging people to feed them :(

Edited by Guest

I sympathise with you, My girls are in a covered run surrounded by slabs and only get into the garden when Im at home. As for re locating the foxes all that will happen is another group will move in particularly if you neighbour is feeding them. Urban foxes have no fear of humans but when DS had his freinds over after a couple of beers they found it very amusing to errr water the area :lol:

The bit about the pigs head sounds a tad Godfatherish (yes I know it was a horse) to me. She sounds slightly crazy - she'll get rats too if shes leaving bits of carcuss around. I am sure I read on forum re fox exterminators just noit sure where. Good luck

The bit about the pigs head sounds a tad Godfatherish (yes I know it was a horse) to me. She sounds slightly crazy - she'll get rats too if shes leaving bits of carcuss around. I am sure I read on forum re fox exterminators just noit sure where. Good luck

Haha, yes it was a bit strange - I guess she got it on the cheap from the butcher? like getting your dog a trotter or an ear but a bit more extravagant??

Hmmm, fox extermination might be a step too far for the OH (he's a born and bred veggie), and a bit expensive for me! I wish I could get some sort of ASBO slapped on the lady next door xD or even the foxes!! :dance:

Edited by Guest

I sympathise with you, My girls are in a covered run surrounded by slabs and only get into the garden when Im at home. As for re locating the foxes all that will happen is another group will move in particularly if you neighbour is feeding them. Urban foxes have no fear of humans but when DS had his freinds over after a couple of beers they found it very amusing to errr water the area :lol:

:lol: yes, my OH is talking about getting one of those spray bottles and keeping it to hand... though I'm not sure I'd want that sitting around, wondering if it'd be worse for a guest to mistake it for orange squash or to know the truth! :vom::lol:

Trying to see your neighbours view. I also like to see foxes but would hate to see my chickens eaten by them. A lady I know gets alot of pleasure in watching the cubs play in her garden during the evinings. So I guess it is one of those Marmite situations 'you either love them or hate them' :roll:

Trying to see your neighbours view. I also like to see foxes but would hate to see my chickens eaten by them. A lady I know gets alot of pleasure in watching the cubs play in her garden during the evinings. So I guess it is one of those Marmite situations 'you either love them or hate them' :roll:

Don't get me wrong, in the wild, and even sometimes if I see one running across the road in the day, I don't mind foxes when they're in good nick they're pretty little things... but this close to my back garden, nesting, when their mating calls and nightly food runs disturb my sleep and now could pose a threat to my chickens, I'd rather they weren't there. Call me a nimby, because I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I am :lol: but a coworker of mine lives out in the countryside where I'd expect to see foxes, and keeps chickens, and has to take less precautions than I am having to :( He reckons all the foxes have pretty much migrated into towns and his chickens free range 24/7 :(

Edited to remove bold font - Christian

The local council got involved when those babies got injured didn't they? They are as bad as vermin such as rats so see if you can get enviromental health involved....

Brighton council got involved, yes, but Worthing Borough Council say on their website that they don't deal with foxes :( Here, a woman got the tip of her finger bitten off - a fox came through the cat flap/dog flap looking for food and she startled it in her house, tried to shoo it out and it went for her - obligatory shots of her with a frankenstein-finger ensued in the local press - not sure I remember the outcome of the incident in terms of council involvement.

http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/news/worthing_woman_bitten_by_fox_1_2304641

I don't know how to do links in BBcode, only html, so hopefully that worked!

edit: I also have a cat who is classed as 'OAP - old age pussycat' by vet standards (although he'll be a kitten eternally in my eyes) and I like to let come and go freely (less accidents on the carpet the better) but this incident made me actually consider locking my catflap at night :lol: - aaaah I hate living alone!

Edited by Guest

The local council got involved when those babies got injured didn't they? They are as bad as vermin such as rats so see if you can get enviromental health involved....

Good idea!

Maybe you could mention to EH that your neighbour is leaving large parts of animal carcass out, day and night, and you have seen rats and lots of bluebottles around since then? Of course you have seen rats and more flies around haven't you :wink:

Good idea!

Maybe you could mention to EH that your neighbour is leaving large parts of animal carcass out, day and night, and you have seen rats and lots of bluebottles around since then? Of course you have seen rats and more flies around haven't you :wink:

Why yes, yes I have, one scuttled across our shared driveway just this morning :lol:

It's worth contacting EH but urban foxes are so prevalent that I doubt if your local authority will do anything.

It is illegal to capture a fox and release it elsewhere.

Have you tried talking to your neighbour about it? Might be better before raising it with EH.

It's worth contacting EH but urban foxes are so prevalent that I doubt if your local authority will do anything.

It is illegal to capture a fox and release it elsewhere.

Have you tried talking to your neighbour about it? Might be better before raising it with EH.

Oh yes, this house belongs to my dad and he has had some very heated discussions with her about it - our other neighbours also had stern words when a fox got their rabbits through the hutch wire - she knows people aren't happy, that the foxes pose a threat to other people's pets and (in light of recent events) - have gotten more bold and started attacking adults and babies, she just denies that she feeds them anything. She must think we're stupid, we can see them from the back bedroom window, and the pig's head just took the biscuit!

Unfortunately if you do try and remove a family of foxes in an area where food is abundant it will be replaced pretty quickly by another :( Foxes tend to breed according to the food source available and in town there's plenty. I may be wrong but I don't think that it is illegal to release a fox elsewhere. The law regarding the re release of wild animals is usually regarding the re release of non indigenous animals such as grey squirrels (can now do with a license) and muntjac deer. There are stories of trapped urban foxes being released into rural areas - really not a good idea. A bit of a nightmare as they have no fear of people like most rural foxes and the poor things are totally bewildered :anxious: A bit of a quandary for you and your neighbours. I would speak to EH and see what they suggest.

Don't shoot me down, but, did you actually see her feed the foxes? Even though the pigs head was brought from her garden does not mean she put it there. I keep finding bones and feathers and such in our back garden which I can assure you I do not put out, however, the foxes in the area scavenge all sorts of food, and then eat it where they will. Their table manners are terrible and they never clean up after themselves :roll: Unless you actually see her deposit such items, and I find it hard to believe anyone would leave a pigs head in their garden on purpose :vom: then you will have to take her at her word.

We have a neighbour who feeds foxes and it bothers me, they are vermin in my eyes but, she likes them. I try and do all I can to discourage them from coming into my garden but, they still venture in and leave their little calling cards every where :evil:

Don't shoot me down, but, did you actually see her feed the foxes? Even though the pigs head was brought from her garden does not mean she put it there. I keep finding bones and feathers and such in our back garden which I can assure you I do not put out, however, the foxes in the area scavenge all sorts of food, and then eat it where they will. Their table manners are terrible and they never clean up after themselves :roll: Unless you actually see her deposit such items, and I find it hard to believe anyone would leave a pigs head in their garden on purpose :vom: then you will have to take her at her word.

We have a neighbour who feeds foxes and it bothers me, they are vermin in my eyes but, she likes them. I try and do all I can to discourage them from coming into my garden but, they still venture in and leave their little calling cards every where :evil:

I've seen her putting dog food and pig trotters out before, the suspicious thing about the pig head is it was in pretty 'neat' condition, as in - not chewed or nibbled at. Of course I didn't see her put the pig head down, but it's not something that would be out of character for her, if you see what I mean.

I believe that relocation is illegal as it's contrary to the Abandonment of Animals Act 1960 and/or the Animal Welfare Act 2006. There are some exceptions to this, and a friend who manages woodland has had orphaned foxes released there, but generally it's not permitted to just catch them and release elsewhere; most pest controllers who trap live foxes then destroy them.

As ChuckyMama says above, if you remove foxes they are very soon replaced by others. I think all you can do is to strengthen your defences. Even if she didn't feed them, chances are there'd be a fox around somewhere anyway.

I have to say I would have the eebee geebees if the cats brought a pigs head or anything elses head in for that matter. I think your neighbour is off hers :wink: I think if others have lost pets find it a nusiance with flies and rats everywhere :liar::liar: you could speak to EH. Dont know what else to suggest