mtrueman

Impacted Crop *Sad Update*

Many thanks for your comments, I agree the suffering has gone on too long. I managed to tip Ebony upside down just for a few seconds this morning and some liquid came out, not a lot though. She doesn't seem to be any better. The only thing which I think may have caused the problem was the OH gave the girlies some whole grapes about a month ago, so I'm wondering whether this could be the cause. I know it's not long grass as I always like to keep the lawn mowed short as when the daisies grow the grass looks a mess. I will see how she is by tomorrow afternoon and then take her down to the vet's before the weekend if there is no improvement. :pray:

HAD ENOUGH

Went to let the girlies out this morning and I think Ebony is telling me in her own little way that she has had enough, she hasn't bothered coming out of the coop, so I have gently lifted her out and placed her in the garden so she can free range for the last time with her sister's. Her crop is exceedingly hard, she has a very mucky bum and no incentive to do anything. I think the kindest thing for me to do is take her down the vet's and have her PTS. I have tried all sorts to no avail and I think I agree, she may have a blockage further down which won't shift. I will let her roam the garden until this afternoon and then go and do the dreaded deed. I feel so helpless, she had so much going for her and yet she is still only a baby (well in my eyes anyway). :(:(:(

Well I have just been back home the past hour as I had no choice to be out most of the day and low and behold Ebony seems to be quite perky, have observed her eating, her poos seem to be a bit firmer, crop however is still very large and hard. What should I do hmmm. Should I give her the weekend or take her down today :?: Is it fair to carry on if there is even a slightest hope. I don't know what to do, if you could see for definite she was in any pain I wouldn't hesitate putting her to sleep but with that bit of spark in her, it's hard. If any of you kindly chicken lover's were in this position or have been what actions have you taken :?:

I see your dilemma, but don't forget that they mask their illness so as not to lose their place in the pecking order.

Is she losing weight? Is she really eating, or just pretending? Is she weaker, ie unable to hop up to a higher level? if the answer to these is yes, then personally Id say it was time to let her go.

Thanks Egluntyne, luckily I only have three girlies in total, Lola the App is top dog, Ebony is second in line and Ivy the bantam wyandotte won't stand a chance getting up the ladder, as you can guess, last in line, so there's no worries there. They all get on beautifully even when Ebony has been separated from them, they have sat loyaly by her side albeit trellising between them. Ebony as lost weight but with her being a large Aruacana she did have a lot of meat on her (not for human consumption though), she was first to the shed when I got the mealworms out which was about 6ish this evening, I gave her a few but not too many. Her poops seem to be a bit firmer, this is where the dilemma is when it comes to the morning's, she is so down and ill looking and then as with this afternoon she has perked up, but more so this afternoon. I think maybe I should wait until Monday, however, the vet's are open for an hour tomorrow afternoon if things down go downhill. I think it's just a waiting game unfortunately.

Good morning everyone, what a lovely day it is. Let the girlies out, Ebony stayed in longer but did eventually come out. The poops in the coop all seem to be quite solid, one slightly watery which I'm assuming is Ebony's but a vast improvement from previous days. Her crop however is still very large and hard, but she is drinking plenty of water which I know softens the crop. She has been wandering around the garden albeit slowly but still an improvement from other days. I'm not going to do anything with her today apart from massaging her crop and just watch how she is doing, so I think waiting till Monday will be more sensible. She doesn't look as though she is in any pain and is sunbathing with the other girlies at the mo, so we shall see.

Hi just thought I'd let you know the update on Ebony. Unfortunately, I had to make the dreaded decision of taking her down to the vets this morning. She didn't put up a fight just let the vet do what he needed to do, she was ready to go. The vet was such a lovely gent, he even had tissues at the ready, bless. I'm so gutted but at least I know she is at peace and I won't have to worry about her while I was away on hols. Still doesn't help though. Goodnight Ebony :pray:

Well since Friday Ivy and Lola have been running round the garden looking for Ebony, Lola making soo much noise in the hope that Ebony will merge from a bush. When I get back from my hols, I think getting a few more sister's for the two girlies may help the healing process, the coop looks so empty, but I'm gonna stick to Bantam's so Ivy may have the chance of going up the pecking order. Many thanks for your kind comments they mean a lot

On 3/26/2022 at 9:04 PM, Casey said:

I know this is an old thread ..but out of curiosity. Why not have the vet find out whats wrong with the chicken instead of putting it down??

Like you said, it’s an old thread. Not all vets will deal with chickens. Not all chickens are well enough to visit a vet.

You would have to do a post mortem @Casey and not all chicken keepers would like their pet dismembered. Reading the thread it was probably a lower digestive impaction and there are several reasons for that and most are not recoverable. An X-ray may have helped, but I really doubt it would? Chickens are actually very fragile creatures, despite their bravado, so unless you are  checking constantly, particularly their poos every day, which are the first guide to problems, they will succumb irreversibly to the issue. The key here is spotting things early enough; that is the fundamental need with any animal.