muzzboy

farmgate layers pellets

I was in need of layers pellets today so I went to my local pet store and they only had farmgate pellets at hand I bought some my chocks have had a feed of them but I have just found some threads on here where plastic is found in the pellets has any body had problems or use farmgate and should I go and buy a better quality layer pellet tomorrow thanks martin.

I found tiny bits of plastic and metal foil in a sack of Farmgate pellets this time last year. We meticulously picked it all out and there was about a double-handful in total. Some had tiny bits of plastic in but some had bigger. I emailed the manufacturer a photo (I can PM you a link) and they said it was because they used by-products of bread-baking - but all perfectly safe. Our next sack (6 weeks later) was Countrywide - but it was the same!!! :shock:

I went back to Countrywide a few weeks ago and an assistant asked if we wanted their own brand. I mentioned the plastic and he knew exactly what I meant and said it had been fixed months ago. I can only take his word for it as we bought something else but, from what he said, sounds like it was just a glitch in production last summer. (I've been careful to just state facts here!)

Our girls happily eat cheaper pellets but it doesn't last - they either end up either flicking it around or eating tons to fill up so it was a bit of a false economy. We now buy Garvo - and they waste a lot less :lol:

I'd use up the sack - see how your girls get on with it and decide when you come to buy your next bag. We started with Countrywide and they loved it just fine (before they became spoilt madams!).

This is the description on a suppliers website:

Farmgate Layers Pellets, produced by the UK's leading animal feed manufacturer BOCM, support a healthly hen, strong egg shell and good yolk colour. All Farmgate's raw ingredients are carefully monitored, fully traceable and produced wthout the use of genetically modified agricultural crops. Suitable for backyard and free range chickens, Farmgate layers pellets include limestone and Oyster shell grit

Doesn't mention plastic! :lol:

I wont use Farmgate poultry feed

I've had bags with plastic in the pellets, pellets too big (pony nut size) pellets so small they are virtually dust, chick crumb of varying size, smelly pellets and mouldy pellets - I hear that some mills may be better than others but it was all to variable for my liking

I feed Garvo but have also tried various other brands which have all been acceptable, Farmgate is the only one I would actively avoid