Hi

We've had our hens and eglu for two years but since this winter Peckham has been very noisy and the other half is at the end of his tether - especially as it starts at 5:30ish. She found her voice when I started giving them warm breakfasts during the snowy weather - or rather when i stopped!!! She now squawks all the time... I am ashamed to say I have tried the water gun as mentioned in previous posts (although I dont fire directly a her - just up in the air in her general direction) but this hasnt stopped it much - also cant think what to do in the morning.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know - the other half wants to dispatch her back to the park she came from - but we have had her two years and I think this would be cruel as I dont know if they would despatch her.

I've had the same problem with one of my girls and had to resort to closing them in to sleep at night and that seemed to help. Many people on the forum suggested directing a torch into the eglu to get them in at night and it does work :D

Susan :)

Mine always make the most noise just after they have laid an egg. If you shut them up in the eglu at night then you won't hear them til you let them out in the morning. :lol: The noise never seems so bad in the middle of the day.

noisy chicken owner here too :oops::oops:

To ease my concience with my neighbours and Ella's bawk bawk bawking at 5.15 in the morning - we shut the eglu door at night and have a dark cover over the top of the eglu.

That way - Im in control of them :) They are shut in when they've gone to bed and let out between 6.30 and 7am every morning...my 2 will sit quite happily and quietly (thank goodness) until I let them out...otherwise my neighbours or me wouldnt get any sleep! :roll:

It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one to keep mine in at night, as like yourself Chelsea, my neighbours would be having stern words to me about the racket that Ruby makes. Then again, I HAD to have a white leghorn :roll::roll: . Mind you I heard them both "barking" along with the neighbour's Jack Russell :lol::lol:

Susan :D

thanks for your suggestions - I am going to try the cover over the eglu to darken it in the morning.

When I leave the door open overnight, she shouts to be let out of the run,

during the day she shouts to be let out of the big run into the garden!!!

it did use to be just after an egg had been layed - but now its all the time :roll: its like having a duck - it seems to me she isnt happy unless she is let out in the garden - but we have hedges and its not secure.

Anyway - I will try the cover over the eglu and let you know if we get a sleep in

Thanks again for your thoughts

I'm now at the end of my tether over this and OH is very annoyed to. Daisy, our pepperpot is getting nosier and noisier in the mornings (i think only early morning though) Shes been awful today and she only stops when she sees us - I have tried throwing corn and stuff down to no avail and will try the water pistol idea and keeping them in the eglu longer but I am at wits end now if they don't work - I am sure i will have the neighbours round complaining soon - what else can i do!? Its not to do with her egg laying - but could it be a sign shes going broody? Someone please help! I don't want to give her up! (The other 2 are quiet as mice at the moment)

Helen

I had this problem and it's to get your attention. ignoring them is the best policy, as every time she sees you she knows it works. treats to shut up are very nice too.

They are clever girls but give it a try

BBx :wink:

Are you sure Buff? You reckon thats it? But why at that time of the morning then? Shes not especially a friendly chicken. She eventually shut up this morning but it was driving me batty! Charging round the garden half dressed for work trying to shut her up was not my idea of fun... And OH (who is not really to keen on them anyway) was fuming! :?:evil:

Ours started this when we first started letting them out of the run........They wanted attention and we would let them out as soon as they started......I have now been leaving them in the run until they are quiet, even though it is very annoying, they soon learn what helps their case.......

Hope you sort it out soon though as it does get frustrating.....

It worked here as well Helen. Gucci started a habit of "crowing" in the mornings and I used to go out every time to calm her down with a few bits of corn etc just to have her start up 5 minutes later :roll:

Once I stopped going outside it tok a couple of days but then she stopped. It could have been coincidence of course but I'm willing to bet it's because she didnt get the attention any more.

It's very hard to ignore them though.

Good luck.

I think its a "bossy" thing Helen.

Ella our noisy gal is very dominant and very noisy, I read in my chicken encyclopedia that one chicken can/will adopt the characteristics of the cockerel and Ella has done just that. If we didnt shut our eglu at night she would have our whole village up. :oops:

Im not sure if there is a "cure", try the ignoring advice and see if that works.

Well it worked this morning. They got let out much later and no squarking!!!! :D

Will keep going with that and see if it works. I wish i could let them out earlier, but if she is going to upset the neighbours to the point of us having to get rid of her then an extra hour in the eglu is worth it... Hope it keeps working...

After 2 days without squarking, OH let them out this morning and she started again :( Howevre i had bought a water pistol recently, and he gave a squirt in her general direction with that and she went quiet again so i guess the problem is not solved just yet but maybe a combination of both will help?!? (Have tried to explain to OH that yelling 'SHUT UP DAISY' out the window probably won't do the trick... :) )

Hi,

My girls are pretty good now, and I shut their door every night, and let them out in the mornings....but last year and year before they were awful! So noisey, and I really thought I would have to get rid of them. I get on with my neighbours, but they were getting fed up - and tired! Anyway, as a LAST RESORT, I started putting them in a hutch in the shed! I put curtains up in the shed, so it was completely dark. Each night when I went to bed (soon became habit) I would take them out of their bed in eglu and pop them into their hutch in the shed. They didn't know it was daytime until I decided to let them out! This even meant the odd lie-in on a Sunday :lol:

I've not put them in the shed for about a year now. The hutch is made up and ready though - just incase...

I know what it's like to worry about the neighbours. That's my biggest concern too. I was so close to thinking I'd have to give them up, but am so relieved and happy tht I tried this.