Lovelylisa

Help, think my rabbit is going to die!

Hello,

I bought my 8 month old rabbit, Roger, 6 weeks ago & an eglu for him. He has hardly been in the eglu & sleeps in the run under the winter shade every night. He`s quite nervous & therefore i havn't been able to handle him more than once or twice a week when i`ve been able to coax him to me with food, as i can't reach him when he`s in the run. This morning however, i went to feed him & found him in the eglu & he let me handle him easily & has done all day. His behaviour has changed overnight. He hasn't left the eglu, lets me pick him up & is very docile. It just doesn`t seem right. He has no other symptoms. Maybe i`m overreacting & he just finally likes the eglu & me! But i`m very worried. Can anybody give me any advice please?

Lisa x

Hi Lisa, it doesn't sound right does it? :?

I am not a rabbit expert, but the following makes a little sense I hope:

Emergency first aid I guess here: Has he got food and more importantly water? Have you seen him eating and drinking today? Is he too hot?

If you can handle him are there any other signs that might give you a clue? Presumably no gashes or lumps? Are his eyes bright? Is he discharging anything from eyes or nose or bum?

What are his droppings like?

Have a really good look around his rear end to make sure it is clean and droppings free.. the worst thing I have ever seen is maggots around poor bunnies bums.... gross.

I guess if its nothing obvious, it might be worth thinking about ringing a vet to give him the once over... better to be safe than sorry.

Sorry I can offer nothing else, but do come back and tell us if there is anything else you notice and let us know how he is doing!

Hi Annie,

Thankyou for your reply. He has a tiny amount of discharge in his eyes & i havn't seen him eat today. But other than that his eyes are bright & his coat & bum clean. My vet is closed over the weekend but i`ll try & find another one. I`ll let you know the outcome & thanks again.

Lisa x

Hi Lisa, I hope your bunny is ok. I don't mean to alarm you but try and get him to a vet. I had a rabbit who also went very docile, no obvious signs, but sadly he died. We never new what was wrong, but reading up on rabbits, I think he had some sort of blockage in his gut. I hope this isn't what yours has got, make sure hes eating, and drinking and doing poos, also exercise helps to get the gut going, best of luck, keep us posted.

Just to let everyone know that Roger is back to his usual self. I could only see a vet at the weekend for £125! He seemed much better on Sunday, so i thought i`d wait `til Monday to see the vet & save a fortune. By this time Roger was fine. Saturday was a hot day, maybe he`s just not used to the heat? Have been reading up on rabbit illnesses & will be getting him some vaccinations. I didn't know rabbits needed these. Apparantly they are even more important when rabbits live outside.

I would say the best thing you can do with your bun is get him neutered and then after about a month, get him a girlfriend. Rabbits are very social creatures and he is probably lonely and a bit nervous living on his own. With bunny company he will be more confident and might be happier for you to handle him.