WitchHazel

Oxfam Tag YouR Bag

I have a favourite charity shop I donate to, it's the Oxfam shop in a nearby village. I like them because they are always very welcoming and enthusiastic, which I don't always find the case. Anyway, some time ago when I dropped some stuff off, the lady asked me if I would consider signing up for their "tag your Bag" scheme. This scheme means that they can claim Gift Aid on the sales they make from donated items.

As mentioned, they are a friendly bunch, so I agreed and signed up. I even remembered to "Tag My Bag" the net time I made a donation. Today I received a letter from Oxfam which told me how much they had raised from my items, and I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't a hige amount, just under £65, but I was really pleased.

I usually dislike any marketing, but I really appreciated this. I was also pleasantly surprised not to find them asking for more money.... and (as I expect was the intention) it has motivated me to put together another box of bits.

Anyone else signed up?

We donate furniture to the Martlets who run our local hospice - they looked after my grandad in his last days - and every quarter they're obliged by law to send us a letter telling us how much money they've raised from our donations - it's nice to see the real return on things like that :)

W - and every quarter they're obliged by law to send us a letter telling us how much money they've raised from our donations

ah, yes, I've just read the notes on the back. They are legally obliged to tell me, so that I can tell them if my tax circumdtances have changed.

It's good to know though and a great idea to start that option so that they can claim back the gift aid.

Our local Oxfam has stopped doing general items and only takes books now, but I always donate our bits to the Catharine House Hospice shop - a local charity and it's also easy to park outside and lug it in.