I am going to have a go at setting up my eglu (green eglu) and run tomorrow and the netted area. Since I made the decision at the start of the year to get some chickens I have done lots of reading, used this forum, visited people with chickens and taken my dogs to meet them (all fine they just sniffed them!!). However, the more I find out the more worried I get about how to fox-proof their lives but give them safe space to roam in. I am only going to get 2 rather than 3 because of advice from this forum as the space they will have is only 6mx2.5m and I will try and find out how to electrify the fence that I have. I bought the eglu and run because I thought it was fox-proof but reading this forum it had been suggested that concrete slabs are needed too, rather than just the pegs that omlet sell.

Edited by Guest

If the ground is quite solid then the pegs will be fine to hold down an Eglu run, its if you have loose soil (eg flowerbed) or put the run on a thick bed of woodchips you'd have more of a problem - far better to peg the run down then add the bedding

If your Eglu is second hand do make sure it has the two square bits of mesh that sit slightly under the Eglu itself where it joins the run so a fox cant dig diagonally under the Eglu

The clips can perish so if they are secondhand then add some cable ties or buy some nre clips

well have now cleared the space and tried the eglu (green eglu) and run at the top and bottom of the space. I'll probably move it between the two areas anyway. I also have 25m netting which came with the sale so that can fence off a bit for free-ranging and include some of our lawn whilst keeping the chickens and dogs separate (I'll also be supervising).

Harvey the Labrador

some of the roaming area...

Thanks PLUM - this is the part of the garden that my husband was willing to give over to them because we can't grow plants there 'cos of the shade but it has nice trees. However, I have now noticed an area behind our greenhouse that would be perfect for a walk in run, it used to have our shed on it so is a concrete base which might help with my fox-paranoia. That will be for next year tho' if I want to get more and have managed to look after 2 chickens successfully!!!

Thanks PLUM. I am letting him name one of them too. Think it will be a Goldline. He is quite keen on the name "Doori" as in short for Tandoori!! The other one is going to be a White Sussex so I am thinking of "Chickpea" being the vegetarian "peace-bean" eater that I am (although I like the name "Snowflake" too). I have set up the first part of the eglu and run. I am finding it helpful to do a bit at a time so that I can get the ground as even as possible and put it together really securely. Have found some heavy sleepers that were our vegetable bed which I will treat and then use to weigh down the eglu run skirt as well as secure it with the screw pegs. I have got new clips from Omlet as suggested but am also going to get cable ties. Will post the next lot of pics soon and by the end of the month will have some chick-pics to show too...