Willow

Any thoughts on Steam Showers ?

We're (very) slowly renovating upstairs and I might even get an en-suite back this year :D Since I will only ever be able to do this once I'm trying to think of all options (without getting carried away on cost :oops: ).

Has anyone got or tried a steam shower ? I drive past a steam shower showroom for work and I must stop one day. I must admit I've never even tried a steam room at a spa so no idea if i'd like it or not.

This is the sort of thing http://www.divapor.com/caspian-steam/steam-showers-caspian.php

They are pricy :shock: but it's shocking how much a good quality tray, cubicle and shower costs...

We took a holiday in a flat with a one-person sauna and steam shower. It was blissful! You come out all relaxed and with super-clean pores. I would definitely get one if I could afford it and had the space; however, if you are not sure you would use it then it is likely to be a hassle to clean and maintain. Of course if I could afford a steam shower I would also have a cleaner! :lol:

We have a steam shower. Not the type you are looking at, so I can't comment on those specifically. We had a steam generator and extractor built in to a walk in to our (small) walk in shower room. We converted a bedroom into a bathroom, and we converted the toilet into a walk-in shower, which you walk in from the bathroom. We did this because I really like large showers, I find shower cubicles a bit claustraphobic.

We don't use it as often as we could/should, but I am still really glad we did it. Because of our setup, it isn't the sort of thing we could retrofit. The downside of our set up is that it takes a while to heat up and steam up, because the walk in shower is completely tiled everywhere; the cabinet you are looking at should warm up and steam up really quickly.

I particularly use it when I'm really hot (bizarrely!), and I find it very therapeutic and relaxing. I also use it when I am achey, or full of cold,. I don't like the dry heat of saunas very much, but I really love the moist heat of a steam. Its very good for deep cleansing.

A friend of mine was having her bathroom redone and decided to go ahead and have a steam shower put in (similar set up to mine). I'm not sure she ever uses it, but her husband uses it a lot.

Steam showers generally are probably one of those things that if you've never had you never miss, but if you have one it's great.

I've no experience of what it's like in one of those cabinets though. But I would probably consider one, if we were doing another refit and didn't have room for a walk in shower.

Thanks, humm like the idea of therapeutic and relaxing. I wish I could try one somewhere. :?

I really want a relaxing spa type bathroom as I know home is the only place I get to do this and we're planning to stay in this house for life.

Cleaning the cubicle properly is a consideration though :?

If anyone has or has used the cubicle style I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Hello

We have a very similar cubicle style shower although we couldn't have the steam function as our ceiling was too low. The shower is great but I have to admit that I find cleaning the cubicle a real pain-it takes ages and is really awkward. I'm sure OH would replace it with something similar but I'd definitely go for traditional tiles next time!

S

Hello

The shower is great but I have to admit that I find cleaning the cubicle a real pain-it takes ages and is really awkward.

S

That's interesting - I always thought those cubicles looked easier to clean than traditional tiles. Tiles have grout which can harbour dirt, soapy stuff, and mould; the cubicles (I thought) had a smooth and seamless liner.

There was one where we stayed on holiday last year - couldn't work out how to use it for ages as I wear glasses.... but not in the shower!! Seemed like there were a lot of "Ooops, word censored!"bly bits that would make cleaning a pain in the you know where. When we re-did our bathroom, we put in a combined shower/steam room (ie we built room into bathroom, put in a steam generator and a shower) which is much more roomy and easy to clean; it takes up more space, but didn't cost much more.

So glad I asked on here! Easy to clean is an absolute must :oops: and I had thought they might be easier being all enclosed moulded plastic :lol:

I'll take that off the list but will take a look into a steam generator for a regular tiled room.