craftyhunnypie

Little surprises

My sister bought 4 Guinea pigs a bit ago. One was always a bit porky. She asked a vet nurse friend to look at her yesterday, who confirmed that Gertie was heavily pregnant & about to pop. Not only that - but another is also pregnant. The vet nurse also sexed the other 2 as being boys - ahh that explains it! They were sold as all females! :roll:

This morning Gertie was like a pancake & at 10 am - 2 bundles of cuteness popped out. Have been sent a text message with picture of them - adorable. One is tri coloured ( black, ginge & white) - like Gertie, the other is a chocolate grey colour & red eyed like its dad. My sister is thrilled with them.

She thinks the other one will have its babies within a week, as she has been growing quite rapidly! She is on about getting the males castrated asap.

Quite a surprise really for her - I did have to laugh when she said last night about her pregnant piggies. :lol:

Can't wait to see them properly next week.

Emma.x

You must post photos :dance: Baby guinea pigs are amongst the cutest baby animals on earth. When I was a kid we had a few goes at breeding guinea pigs. Sadly one of our mums died four days after giving birth to four gorgeous baby girls. We handreared them all and I recall them living in my bedroom over the winter months :lol:

The most guinea pigs we had was thirteen ladies all living together in a custom built two storey hutch. I loved them all dearly. Years later I learnt that my Mr Griffin also kept lots of guinea pigs as a child too. We recently cared for his cousins three sows while she was on holiday and our youngest daughter was bitten by the guinea pig keeping bug. Seeing as though I'm trying to grow 3 billion types of fruit and veg in our garden we don't have the room for our own but I think I'm going to scale back my ambitious growing and make space for a few sows of our own because I know how much she'd love it. Broodies and pumpkins are the only things standing in our way :lol:

We also kept guineas many years ago, males and females in seperate pens, until one ambitious boar decided to go walkabout :roll: Two of the sows had babies and yes, they are adorable! Born fully furred, eyes open and running about! Guineas have to be my favourite small furry animal 8)

Grrr - all the baby piggies have got homes , so none left for me. Also she has given a very decent hutch to a friend that is having some of the babies. :evil::( I now need to find a Guinea pig Breeder near to Aberystwyth & a decent hutch. Looked at hutches in Pets at home - good solid one for £90, but only on short legs. Another for £52 , but flimsy and I think a fox could easily get into it. The wire on it was rubbish. Any one know of any good online companies for single storey hutches?

Emma.x