hammy72

When and how to handle chickens

Have had the chickens nearly a week now and they were allowed out of their run at the weekend. Tonight when they came out of their run they climbed on top of the eglu run to peck at a bush in the garden. Snowflake (the light sussex) is still a bit flappy/nervous. Tikka is more confident but was flapping about the flies today (flitrap ordered now!!). I was able to get them back into the run by throwing corn in and walking behind them but wonder when I should start handling them again. I picked them up at the farm and to transfer in and out of the car but have not done it since.

I've had 5 girls since March and 2 dont mind being handled but the other 3 still act like I'm trying to kill them as soon as I pick them up! :roll: Whether they'll ever get used to it is another matter but it doesnt stop me trying, plus if theyre poorly, then I will pick them up regardless of what they think! Keep picking them up a few times a week, especially if youre holding treats, they'll soon come to you!

The only time I have successfully handled mine is when they are broody... nothing is budging them then! They let me close enough to inspect them but not touch them. I am super proactive with the lice powders etc so hopefully they will be fine.. I fill my dust baths up regularly with diatom and they are in there every day self medicating.

I have bought a fishing landing net but as of yet not used it.... I tried the 30 mins after bedtime option but they thought I was trying to murder them by the noises they made... I think the neighbours thought I was too!

If we lived a bit more rural I would try a bit harder but we are in a built up area and we dont want to annoy the neighbours