Banus

Stopped laying

Hi all,

Our GNR (Valentine) started laying about 2 weeks ago and has produced a dozen fine eggs usually at about 9.30am each day. However, for the last 2 days she has gone to her hesting box in her Eglu Go and sat there for an hour but comes out without producing anything. She appears fit and well, eating, drinking and appears alert and happy. Should we be concerned?

Not sure if this has anything to do with it but Valentine stopped laying at exactly the same time as Nando started laying!

That happened with one of my girls - she laid 10 tiny eggs then stopped for about 3 months :roll: . When she got going again she was one of my best layers!

It may just be one of those things if she is looking generally bright and alert and eating/drinking/pooing normally. No signs of anything stuck internally? Hard to tell I know, but discomfort would probably be obvious.

I hope you dont think I am hijacking your thread- it seemed daft to start another on the same topic- My two girls have stopped laying too, they definately look healthy and happy....could it be this

Last weekend we went away for the weekend and somehow the door lock of the run got left open. We think it must have blown open in wind and so the girls escaped and then could not get back in (and therefore couldn't access the eglu inside). When we came home they were happily sunbathing in our flower beds but god knows how long they had been locked out for. I wondered if the lack of access to pellets, and possibly water plus the stress had stopped the laying.

If so how long for them to recover.

I can see no signs of stress or mites. I have started a course of Verm-x just in case.

Anyother tips- thanks

PS Banus just to say that when my girls started laying it was very stop start and odd for a while. Like they were practising and then had a break I also got some days with two eggs and then an odd mishapen one, it then all settled down to an egg each every day almost without fail

When do you assume egg laying is done for good? i got my 2 Omlet hens in April 2010 and one has stopped laying now for months. Wormed regularly, feeds well, running round. She laid all thro the horrible winter and now nil for weeks. Is she too young to stop or do some just stop early?

I had one girl (Ruby - in my avatar!) who laid for 6 months, had the tiniest mini moult ever and never laid again! She lived for 3 and a half years, I used to call her my little freeloader :lol: Opal laid for a couple of years, she only stopped a few months before she died. Both were GNR

Quick update.

SInce Nando started laying she hasn't stopped. However, Valentine has stopped (after about a dozen) and can't get going again - see my first post at the top of this thread. So after reading all the possible reasons (on the forum) and only 1 day after starting the 7 day worming program, Valentine has started laying again. Does Flubenvet work that fast or just a coincidence?

I have never used flubenvet so can't comment but would just reiterate that when my girls started it was very peculiar initially but then settled into a regular pattern. I would often find them in the nest box but no eggs. I am sure I posted the same worries as you.

My mystery has now been solved I think....earwigs!!! We found a hidden pile of 11 eggs in stinging nettles :roll: and another pile of 5 eggs elsewhere under a bush. Although the cube looked fine when I cleaned it out at the weekend there were squillions of earwigs hidden in the crevices so I think they must come out when the girls are in there and annoy them. Poor girls YUK YUK YUK :vom: