squiffs

Where do you draw the line between discipline and cruelty?

The best example I can give is that I do not agree with smacking and the way many people bring up their children but I wouldn't report them.

Yes, but you know smacking isn't illegal and isn't enough to get a child taken into care. I don't know whether her behaviour towards her dog is illegal/enough to get it rehomed.

What concerns me here (aside from the fact that I would never smack an animal) is the breed. I have just re-read this thread and I notice you mention the breed is Irish Staff. I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe Irish Staff is often a term used for a Pit Bull or Pit Bull X. Definitely not a dog you would want to have around small children or be treating in a way that might cause aggressive behaviour (not that you would wish any dog to become aggressive). Perhaps give the RSPCA a call and sound them out?

Yes, I mentioned this in the original post, I know staffies get a bad reputation and can be incredibly affectionate loveable dogs but I'm also aware of the dangerous dogs act, especially with regard to staffies, as they can sometimes be sold as staffordshire bull terriers when they're really not. She's mentioned he doesn't have 'papers', so she can't stud him out. Which is suspect in itself. The only thing that stopped her getting the pitbull was needing a licence and having to get it neutered. She started wittering on about getting a staff or a pitbull or a husky on friday, spent most of the day looking online at adverts of them for sale and posted a picture on facebook on monday night of her 'new pooch'. Her mum isn't too pleased about it either, as I heard her arguing on the phone about it.

If in doubt, ring them! It's up to the RSPCA to decide whether or not they will follow it up.

You need to do something as you are obviusly concerned about the situation - not just about the treatment of the dog, but also about the impact that treatment will have on the children when it inevitably turns on them!

I think I know that I should make the call... I just lack the confidence in my own conviction to feel it's my business. And the situation is even more sticky what with having to work with her. The company I work in is a small family business, there's 5 girls in the office (including me) full time, and I'm the 'newest' one, I started working there a year ago yesterday, so I know all too well where loyalties lie - especially when no one else at work even batted an eyelid when she was telling us this stuff. Doing the right thing is going to have serious repercussions for me, but I guess I have to bite the bullet. :anxious:

You should definitely report it. This girl must have neighbours/friends who could just as easily be the ones who reported her having heard the dog barking/seeing her mistreat it so there is no reason for her to automatically assume it was you.

It would be a brave and correct thing to do. As has been said by other people here the RSPCA know how to approach these cases with tact.

The main danger I think, apart from the fact that she is being cruel to the dog (and yes I do think you have enough legitimate reasons to report her) is if the dog turns on the child due to being mistreated. By reporting her you may be preventing another tragedy.

PLEASE report it asap.

there is a very strong and proven link between cruelty to animals and cruelty to children, and the RSPCA work with social services too... god forbid she is treating her child like this as well as that poor, poor dog, but the sooner some the of the authorities get involved the better, I think. what a horrible situation.

I have studied canine psychology a bit in recent years and I'd hate to know of something like this going on, it certainly is not the way to train a dog. Unfortunately there are staffies filling up all the rehoming centres these days as people take them on as "status dogs" then get bored.

Not sure how much the RSPCA would do in this case, it would be better if the owner could be persuaded to do some proper training classes etc as she will probably end up with a bored aggressive dog before long.

Such a difficult situation, on balance, I'd probably make the call though.

I am edging towards calling, my mum reckons at the very least the RSPCA might recommend she go to puppy training classes... I just feel like I need to know for sure whether I'm overreacting or not, I would never dream of treating a puppy that way.

Yes, it is a status dog, she wanted a staffi, a pitbull or a husky (which would have been ridiculous, given she works 9 to 5 and is the only person over the age of 7 in that household).

I was watching a rspca program the other day, and a woman had slapped her dog (or was it she hit him with the laed im not to sure) and the rspca had been to see her, as i think the woman said it was against the law. The woman didnt realise and promised not to do it again, and the rspca person said she would leave them to it, as the dog was in good health, but if there was any more incidents of it the owner could face prosecution.

It was only the once which the dog was slapped, but i know the rspca go to every case that they hear about.

It doesnt sound like she should have the puppy, that is not the way to teach the dog, and in time the dog will become agressive and will have to be put to sleep if it ever bit some one.

So if you are worried and from what you say, you have every right to call the rspca, the idea the woman is telling every one that she slaps the dog means she either doesnt no how to look after it or she is very arrogant.

I've made the call, they're passing it on to officers to decide the best course of action. She seemed a bit shocked that she'd only had the pup 3 days and was already smacking it - but they also seemed to be emphasising that we don't know how hard she's smacking the pup and haven't seen the animal in question in the flesh. I'm hoping they at least pay her a visit.

It's out of my hands now, just wait til the case is closed, they said they'd ring me to tell me what course of action they've taken - but I suspect I'll find that out well before they call me.

:anxious::anxious::anxious:

Well done, you definitely did the right thing. I like to think I would have done the same - though I'd probably have let DH make the call, so I could have truthfully said that it wasn't me. It's a pity you can't just smack your colleague when she behaves unacceptably and tell her that she has to learn. I don't think you'd be able to get away with that, more's the pity.

It saddens me that people have pets and don't bother to find out how to treat them. So many have dogs as "accessories" now. I don't care what my pets look like, they're all beautiful to me and I would never dream of smacking them. Mind you, that's probably why my cats are so badly behaved.

I look forward to hearing what happens about this poor dog.

You might want to change your avatar as you could be identified by it if anyone knows you are a member of this forum.

don't worry, no one at work knows about this forum (there's only 6 of us in the office), and none of my friends know any of the people I work with. I make a point of not mixing business and pleasure, especially with the people I work with... :(

Also thanks everyone who told me I should go ahead with it. I guess I wanted to make absolutely sure I wasn't overreacting to what I was hearing. It doesn't matter if this is a forum of people 'who really love animals' - that's not a bad bias at all when it comes to animal cruelty. I probably would have taken a while longer to make the call if I hadn't had my suspicions confirmed.

As a Mom and Staffordshire owner, this makes my skin crawl. I work in Primary Ed, and I agree with the points made further up the thread, regarding links with animal and child cruelty. Anyone one who thinks that fear is an effective educational tool is just plain wrong. My current stafford was "just" neglected, not abused, but our previous Staff/English Bull Terrier cross has been beaten severely, and he was terrified, of mops brooms, bottles, or anything resembling a stick. The rescue centre said he was starved too. You made a brave decision, and hope you feel you've made a difference. Thanks, from an ardent Stafford lover.

As a Mom and Staffordshire owner, this makes my skin crawl. I work in Primary Ed, and I agree with the points made further up the thread, regarding links with animal and child cruelty. Anyone one who thinks that fear is an effective educational tool is just plain wrong. My current stafford was "just" neglected, not abused, but our previous Staff/English Bull Terrier cross has been beaten severely, and he was terrified, of mops brooms, bottles, or anything resembling a stick. The rescue centre said he was starved too. You made a brave decision, and hope you feel you've made a difference. Thanks, from an ardent Stafford lover.

I love staffies too, it breaks my heart that when I was looking at getting a dog 80% in the shelter were staffies or staffy crosses, but owning a cat and the dogs I saw not being good with cats meant I never ended up getting one, and it breaks my heart to think that I know someone who is contributing to this problem.