Chickvic

Hair dye.

My daughter wants to dye her hair :roll: she wants to go black with blue hints in it, as she is only a mid brown I think it might be too dark. It is only going to be a wash-out dye, nothing permanent. Any suggestions as to which colour would be best and which dye to try? I will do a patch test first :wink:

6217625720_45b7e209e7.jpg

Hi,

Having a black haired girl (natural brown),I am probably a bit of an expert......

It WILL look dark,& probably quite harsh to your eyes,but I guess that is what she is aiming for :?:lol:

I don't know of any semi permanent blue/blacks.....Cleo uses the Blue Black Schwartzkopf ones,which do fade pretty quickly anyhow,despite being permanent.

How old is she?

Cleo must have first dyed her hair at 14 or so,& has been all shades you can think of,including hot pink!

Edited by Guest

Oooh Chicky ..... black will change her look dramatically. I'm just looking at her pic and thinking why doesn't she just dye that lovely little bit that kicks out at the side. Less is more (and she is only 13 :anxious: or is she? where did I get that?) What about purple?

Here we go, light the blue touch paper and stand clear.

She will be 14 on Saturday :lol: and probably the only girl in her school who hasn't dyed her hair yet :shock: I still think black is too much :? I was thinking reddish brown that will just enhance her natural colour? Am I grasping at straws? :lol: It will only be wash in/out. I'm not looking forward to attempting it anyway :anxious:

I tell you what may be a compromise.

The Schwartzkopf dyes come in very red reds, (& don't tell her,but red fades quickly)

They are actually really nice colours,Cleo has used most of them at one time or another :roll:

They would be bright enough to keep her happy that she is making a statement,but not have the harshness of black.....

Also,if you chose a shade like the one below,it wouldn't be quite as bright,as she is naturally fairly dark.

LINK

I don't think there are any wash in/wash out blacks.

Another choice would be Shaders/Toners in Rich mahogany,maybe.

Blues usually fade pretty fast as they don't 'take' very well.

'Directions' by La Riche are semi permanant & come in loads of (wacky!) colours. I've mainly seen them in hippyish type shops but they have a website you can look at as well.

My daughter is 12 & trying to persuade me to let her dye her hair. I'm resisting quite well at the moment...

Might be better to do it at 1/2 term any disasters can be viewed at home only - her hairs a lovely colour - red or plum might be nicer - I dyed mine in my teens made a mess of it - it was blond at front and ginger at the back :wink: Also black can make you look like something thats been dug up esp if you are pale skinned. Might suit olive skinned. Good luck

Hi Chickvic, My daughter is just a few months younger - will be 14 next March. I was thinking that blue/black is really good & that she should go for it BUT then I actually thought about it :!: I'm not sure that I would be happy with Hazie going to school with blue/black hair & I'm not even sure that the school would be all that happy with it. Having said that I would hate to dissuade a young person of their creativity & so I would go for try it at half term & see what it's like. If it's not too loud I would let her go to school with it. Creative, independent kids are cool. Alli x

She will be 14 on Saturday :lol: and probably the only girl in her school who hasn't dyed her hair yet :shock: I still think black is too much :? I was thinking reddish brown that will just enhance her natural colour? Am I grasping at straws? :lol: It will only be wash in/out. I'm not looking forward to attempting it anyway :anxious:

I agree with you, and there's nowt worse than light regrowth on faded black - and that's coming from someone who has had her hair all shades under the sun over the last 30 years.

YS dyed his hair blue/black but ended up getting a permanent dye (long story). It turned out more black than blue and when he used a colour stripper which promised to return him to his original colour it turned orange :shock: He had to get a brown rinse put through it. Then had to get it cut short. A real disaster :!:

As a serial hair dyer in my youf and tried loads of different dyes from wash in wash out ones (mahogany springs to mind) and then went onto henna (and now, but different reasons *sobs*) I would just let her go for it. She'll do it anyway at some point if you try to convince her to go for a more neutral shade, and probably end up making a mess. It's all part of growing up and finding your own identity. I'm waiting for my youngest (who'll be 12 later this year) to start asking. It would be a good idea to wait until the half term, just in case she hates it. Can't wait to see the after pics :D

Thanks for all the advice, we have found a black semi-permanent dye from Boots. DD wants to dive in and do it over the weekend but as a compromise she is waiting a few weeks til half term. It should last up to 24 washes, it gives her plenty of time to wash it over the week if needed :wink:

If she really hates the colour just wash with head and shoulders, it'll come streaming back out every time you wash it.

Conversely, if she really likes it, avoid head and shoulders like the plague xD

I started dyeing my hair at 14 - it was various black 'tones' with red, purple, blue whilst I was at school, then peroxide blonde, then I changed it once or twice a month at college using directions and stargazer dyes (stargazer are better imo), and by the time I left uni I was dyeing it once a week at a minimum (the colours faded too quickly for me, so I would strip and start afresh).

Perhaps try a stargazer dye if you want it to be less permanent - they come in a wide range of colours (rainbow, not natural tones) and then it'll wash out within a couple of weeks, if she likes it, she can try another brand that is more permanent!