Chickvic

Pet rats.

DD is after some rats, trying to look on the internet and there is some conflicting advice as to whether male or females make the best pets. I'm sure there must be an Omleteer with some experience and advice I can trust! We are looking at a cage on Thursday so she is feeling rather impatient! :roll: Any help/info would be gratefully received :D

We used to keep pet rats. We were told that the males were 'slower' and easier to handle. This proved to be true for us, we only had one girl and she was much more flighty but this could of course have been down to her character and the fact that she was slightly older than we were used to getting . I think the key is to get one really young and handle it loads. They do make great pets and you can get some very pretty colours now.

We used to have four big fat boys, Billy, Bob, Bert & Ben. We got them as babies from a rescue in Gloucester. We handled them loads and they were very friendly. They were smelly though, it was a musty kind of smell. I loved having them, I also loved shopping for accessories too and spent a small fortune on hammocks. I made my own ones too :lol:

Sadly not one of them lived beyond two years :cry: One dropped dead just before his first birthday and the other succumbed to tumours. It's such a shame they don't live for longer :(

I feed mine on the Shunamite diet and they did very well on it. I probably shouldn't have fed them so many treats though :oops:

I used to get all my stuff from Acrorats but they don't seem to be making hammocks etc anymore. Try http://www.ratwarehouse.com/ instead :D

I used to have rats :D

Had 2 at a time, got 2 boys then 2 girls.

Apparently boys smell more, but I don't really remember either smelling.

Both were really friendly but (shouldn't say this) I preferred the girls! They were a lot smaller and just easier to handle, they were both really nice. Would love to keep some again, but I seemed to develop a fur allergy half way through keeping the girls, which resorted in mum having to clean them out and handle them, and as they were my pets it wasn't fair. Both the girls died of tumors :( which I think is a common problem with rats.

DSC02265-1.jpg

InkyandCharlie.jpg

These are the two girls :D Don't have any pictures of the boys, they were both black and not very popular with visitors :( People didn't really like the girls either because of the red eyes :anxious:

I know I haven't given any advice but they are great pets :D

I got two little girlies two weeks ago, and they are gorgeous!

Anyway, as people have said, the main difference is that boys are slower and cuddlier, while little girls are just mad! They're both really friendly though, within minutes of getting them my Rinny was giving me licky kisses. Boys are quite a bit larger than boys, and apparently boys leave little traces of pee all over the place when they walk, to mark their terratory.

The main problem with girlies is that they can be very prone to mammary tumours, and as Griffin said they rarely live much longer than two years :(

If you're looking for ratty information, I can't reccomend this forum enough! Fully of really helpful information and articles, helped me loads when I was deciding what cage to buy :) .

Where are you getting them from, if you don't mind me asking? :D

Not sure where from yet, my cousin (who had the rat palace) got hers from a local garden centre and she recommended them, she said they also give them the once over after a week to make sure they're still healthy which sounds good to me. We're going to look tonight after school!

Not sure where from yet, my cousin (who had the rat palace) got hers from a local garden centre and she recommended them, she said they also give them the once over after a week to make sure they're still healthy which sounds good to me. We're going to look tonight after school!

I hate to be the voice of doom, but I really wouldn’t recommend buying from pet shops or garden centres. A pet shop may look good, but the pet shops rarely breed the animals themselves. See: **LINK** :( (That article was written by the lovely lady that I got my ratties from, so I trust it completely) Also, **PICS** (Warning: Potentially upsetting images)

Sorry. :oops: This is just an issue that is close to my heart. :) The parents of my ratties were bought at Pets at Home, and what were sold as three boys turned out to be two boys and a girlie. Predictably, the female got pregnant and had her litter, then she got pregnant again while she was still looking after her babies. It was in the heat of July/August as well, poor girl :cry: ) The rats' owner gave pregnant mum away, along with all but two of her litter. They went to Alison (author of that article), who kept the baby girls until they were eight weeks old, then she gave them to me :) I love Rin and Kismet, and I wouldn't change them for anything. They're both really freindly and Rinny loves to kiss my fingers, but part of me can't help wondering how many other accidental litters are out there because of mistakes made at pet shops...

I got both of my bunnies, as well as eight out of the nine hamsters that I have owned, from pet shops, so I feel like a hypocrite for saying this :oops: . I realise that I also sound really rude for saying this, and I’m sorry about that. I just thought that if it were me, I would rather I learnt all of this before I got my rats, rather than afterwards.

Anyway, I'll stop kijacking your thread now :oops: . I wish you the best of luck for when you get your rats, wherever you get them from :) (Also, make sure you show us loads of photos, okay? :wink: ) Do you have any idea what varieties you might be getting? :) That's a lovely cage too by the way :D Your rats will love it.

LCL

Thanks for that LCL, where would you recommend buying them from?

A registered breeder :D

Fancy rats has a list of breeders organised by location: **LINKY** although it looks like there is only one in your area :?

Theres also a list of registered breeders: **HERE** , although they're not organised by location, and they don't have contact details either which is a bit annoying.

There's a list of breedrers that's kept up to date by the breeder I got my girlies from. If you email her on breeders@nfrs.org then I think she'll be able to give you a list of breeders near you. I don't THINK you need to be registed with the NFRS to access the list, but I'm not entirely sure :?

Alternatively, you could get rescues. :D There are plenty of ratties out there (babies as well as adults) looking for their permanent homes.

Rescue rats needing homes (On Fancy Rats, oranised by location)

Findafurry (Sadly it doesn't look like there are any rats on there at the moment. It's a very good website though)

Cavy Rescue (Called Cavy rescue, but does rats and other small animals too)

More rescues

Pet Rescue (Another great rehoming website)

Articles on Rehoming

Hope that helped :D

I keep - and breed - rats.

You won't get a better pet (after a dog) for being interactive and social with humans as well as their own kind.

I'd agree with what's been said before about not buying from pet shops / garden centres as you don't know their history; and inbreeding is notorious. Most breeders will inbreed occasionally, but it's completely different to the kind I'm referring to with 'farmed' rats and other animals.

I'd recommend getting from a breeder, as has also been mentioned above.

You can email for a list of registered breeders from the NFRS - it's just been updated and shows breeders by area now which is very helpful. If you like, you can PM me with your location and I could give you details of breeders near you.

I'd also caution you against feeding them rat nuggets as they're not the most nutritious and they get really bored with it. Most breeders use and recommend various variations of the Shunamite diet (see Alison Campbells website www.shunamiterats.co.uk)

Re males versus females - males are generally larger, lazier and more cuddly than females. Females tend to be smaller, more 'busy' and more mischievous. It's not really 100% true that males smell any more than females tbh. Maybe slightly, but not like mice where the males absolutely stink to the point of not being able to be kept in the house.

There's definitely no difference in temperament in terms of males being more aggressive than females or vice versa. However males can squabble more when they get to the 'teenage', hormonal stage at around 7 months. But if they've been together since a young age, particularly if they're litter-mates, they should be fine, especially in a big cage like you have.

The trick is to have a resting place per rat (eg hammocks) plus extra so they can't fight over the only available one and have somewhere to go to get their own space if need be. But usually they'll fall out and then all pile in to the same hammock or sputnik!

There will probably be some huffing to begin with once you bring them home until they decide on their new pecking order, but that's completely normal.

Hope you enjoy having rats as much as I do - I wouldn't be without them!

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info or contacts, though xx

Not true.

I know several breeders / owners who have cats and it makes no difference to the rats.

However the rats' cages need to be secure so that there can't be any 'accidents'! I do know of someone whose cat got in to a rat cage and I don't need to say any more.

However one animal that shouldn't be kept in the same room as rats is snakes - it unsettles the rats and makes the snakes agitated and possibly aggressive in some cases. I do know a rat breeder who also keeps snakes (and no, she doesn't breed rats to feed her snakes :) ) and she ALWAYS advises that rats and snakes should be kept as far apart as possible. Plus the room needs to be kept warm for the snakes which the rats wouldn't cope with. The cope better with cooler temperatures than warm.

Interestingly, she also has three cats!

I hate to be the voice of doom, but I really wouldn’t recommend buying from pet shops or garden centres. A pet shop may look good, but the pet shops rarely breed the animals themselves. See: **LINK** :( (That article was written by the lovely lady that I got my ratties from, so I trust it completely) Also, **PICS** (Warning: Potentially upsetting images)

Sorry. :oops: This is just an issue that is close to my heart. :) The parents of my ratties were bought at Pets at Home, and what were sold as three boys turned out to be two boys and a girlie. Predictably, the female got pregnant and had her litter, then she got pregnant again while she was still looking after her babies. It was in the heat of July/August as well, poor girl :cry: ) The rats' owner gave pregnant mum away, along with all but two of her litter. They went to Alison (author of that article), who kept the baby girls until they were eight weeks old, then she gave them to me :) I love Rin and Kismet, and I wouldn't change them for anything. They're both really freindly and Rinny loves to kiss my fingers, but part of me can't help wondering how many other accidental litters are out there because of mistakes made at pet shops...

I got both of my bunnies, as well as eight out of the nine hamsters that I have owned, from pet shops, so I feel like a hypocrite for saying this :oops: . I realise that I also sound really rude for saying this, and I’m sorry about that. I just thought that if it were me, I would rather I learnt all of this before I got my rats, rather than afterwards.

Anyway, I'll stop kijacking your thread now :oops: . I wish you the best of luck for when you get your rats, wherever you get them from :) (Also, make sure you show us loads of photos, okay? :wink: ) Do you have any idea what varieties you might be getting? :) That's a lovely cage too by the way :D Your rats will love it.

LCL

I have to say, I am so so glad there were no pictures of the poor bunnies there, the rats saddened me enough but people mass breeding rabbits in tiny cages really upsets me as they are such wonderful animals and having 4 myself it's an issue I keep close to my heart :cry: