Seagazer

Washing line help needed

I finally managed to convince hubby to put me up a long washing line as previously I had a rotary and the washing was hardly ever dry by the end of the day (garden too sheltered I think). Anyway, I've got a pully attached to the house and a pole at the end of the garden where the line is tied.

My trouble is I can't pull the washing up high enough. :roll: If I let it down just by one loop the clothes end up dragging on the floor. I pull it up and have a pole thing to push it up in the middle.

I've been googling and seen that some people have used two pullys - one at either end. Is this what we should have done? I feel a real weakling in not being able to get the line up. We had a line in our old house but the garden was lower than the house so that helped with getting the line up higher. I can't remember how many pullys we had.

I dread asking hubby to redo it :wink::lol:

I've just asked ES (20) to try to pull the line up but he can't do it either. I think perhaps it might be to do with the other end just being tied to the top of the pole.

I shouldn't really complain as the washing does dry better even though the washing is low. It just doesn't look very good and you have to duck to move around in the garden. It would be useless if I wanted to use the garden table too as the washing is brushing against the chairs and table.

How tall is the post? Mine's about 12 feet above the ground, I only have one pulley attached to the house and the line tied to the post, also what type of line have you used? I use a steel cable coated in plastic, we have to tie two together. My friend has had the same done but her post isn't tall enough & she's got a rough nylon rope that I couldn't pull up because it doesn't run smoothly through the pulley and it hurt my hand :(

I think that the smaller the height difference between the top of the post and the pulley the easier it is to haul the line up :D

My ED has two pullies but with the weight of the washing she still uses a clothes prop.

I myself live in a cul de sac that we have nicknamed Wellington corner due to the breeze we have through our gardens, my rotary dries everything very well except at this time of year, so the pull up clothes horse is in use and the tumble dryer has to come into play now unfortunately

For thoses baffled Wellington in New Zealand is always windy due to being at the headland on two oceans so a constant breeze and real gusty too in winter .

So are all you people trying to stand in one place and load the line pulling it down the garden? :?

Why not tighten the line then hang your washing and use a prop or motorise it :lol::idea: Actually not a bad idea the washing travelling constantly up and down the garden would dry it quicker.

Not sure how tall post is - it is roughly same height as the attachment on the house. Hubby has said he'll look at it. I just don't remember having this much trouble before. The line is wire with the plastic/rubber coating. Hopefully hubby will come up with a solution. Either that or I'll have really strong arm muscles by the end of it all! :wink:

I pull the line as tight as it will go before hanging any washing on it. Then use the prop. If the line is long it will drape the washing on the floor just pop it up a little when haning the washing then prop it up. Mine is long and I have to do this. :roll:

Wow, are you really tall Chicken shack? If I pulled my line tight I'd need a cherrypicker to reach it, if I have bedding on the line the bottom of the duvet covers are way above my head :shock: But it's good because the washing is never in our way when we're in the garden :D

I pull the line as tight as it will go before hanging any washing on it. Then use the prop. If the line is long it will drape the washing on the floor just pop it up a little when haning the washing then prop it up. Mine is long and I have to do this. :roll:

Wow, are you really tall Chicken shack? If I pulled my line tight I'd need a cherrypicker to reach it, if I have bedding on the line the bottom of the duvet covers are way above my head :shock: But it's good because the washing is never in our way when we're in the garden :D

No I am vertically challanged :lol: I put my line up and realised I would have to climb a ladder to reach it. So I ajusted it to arms lengh high and pull it as tight as I can then use the prop. We do have to duck to get under the washing but ha ho. I can not believe we are talking about washing lines. Sad or what. :lol::lol::lol: My mother would be so proud GRHS :!:

Your washing line is so high up Reiki I never even saw it until you pointed it out to me!!!

Majorbloodnock I only dread asking him as it took him so long to get around to doing this one - he's a very busy chap :wink::lol: Actually if he had his way everything would be tumble dried! :shock: