calmbreeze

New Frizzles coming - black or white??

:D a lady up the road from us that we stumbled on quite by chance is 'giving away' half her stock of pure bred frizzles!! they are all colours - but she is giving all the white and all the black hens away - we can only really have a couple more chooks, but have always wanted frizzles! the ones we are getting are approx 24 weeks old - now just one decision do we get black or white.....???? :D Edited by Guest

we really only need 2 (although we could have more) - will probably get 2 white ones but i dare say will come back with a black one 2!!!

there is a beautiful cockeral 2 but as we already have one he is going to a friend - will post pics when they have arrived (sat hopefully)

can't wait!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Do post pictures when you have your new Frizzles. I'm ready to be quite :mrgreen: as they are my fav. breed.

By the way, if you mate an obvious Frizzle to an obvious Frizzle you are likely to get an 'over frizzle' with brittle feathers who becomes a baldy in the summer. Some Frizzles have normal feathers (but look sweet all the same) and these should be used to cross with an obvious frizzle so that you don't end up with baldies :) The books would put this all more scientifically but that is the gist.

I love these chickens, having seen a previous post of your favourite chicken and seeing the pics. I dont think I could have a couple though as I have hybrids. You cant mix them can you?

To be honest I'm not sure. They are not as pickable on as Silkies or Polands being really quite normal little souls without anything interfering with their vision as in the Ss and Ps. I have banties which are more common but you can get standard girls who are not all that small at all. Many people confuse Frizzles with frizzled feathered Pekins but they are not the same - even the bantie ones are nowhere near as small as Pekins. Mine are very friendly and talkative and though gentle I don't think they are wimps either.

Here's another one for you. This is Dumpy, a cuckoo Frizzle

Dandelionalso07-11.jpg

Sadly they are not all that common but I luckily live very close to two people who breed and show them :D

Thank you chestnutmare :D I've always wanted 'normal' chickens but OH won't let me have what he sees as 'scratchers' or 'biggies' :( and these Frizzles are the most 'normal' I'm allowed. Actually, I think they look even more like large powder puffs than Silkies do but I've fallen in love with them - totally :lol:

I see what your OH means, 'normal' (;)) chickens are lawn-destroying... but you could keep them permanently in a run or fence off your lawn. :whistle:

I think I've just added Frizzles to my list of must haves along with Pekins. I like Silkies too but I don't know if they're in the must have category for me just yet.

I'll have to come your way one day to find these Frizzles!!

yes i am getting excited too! - we are picking them up on sunday afternoon - should be fun the lady has about 40 of them free ranging in a half acre garden so will be interesting catching them i think (and the lady is about 70!!) so i am taking a friend who is also having some and a beautiful cockeral (and he really is a beauty - but we already have one so couldnt have him) - really cant wait :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

its buffs i really wanted and yes she has some buffs but wants to keep all but 2 and my friend is having those as she is hoping to breed them on with the cockeral - i will get some pics of those too and hopefully one will find its way over to me eventually or a baby one! we are having a white and there was a grey who was very pretty so i think providing it doesnt take all day to catch they will be coming home - so excited i hope they get on with our others!! :dance: