Alexandra

Slugs

Egluntine, you have my sympathy - our old house had a kitchen that was a slug magnet - they used to crawl in the cat-flap, and during the night, the floor would be covered in them. Tigger and Hartley would manfully try and munch their way through the hoards, but there would always be more the next night. It was a bit of a minefield if you went into the kitchen at night for a glass of water. :vom: . We used to spread salt on the kitchen step to try and deter them.

I HATE SLUGS!!!!!

Mine love slugs too, it's the main reason I got them as I also HATE slugs, make my skin crawl. Now I go round the garden slug hunting and feeding them to the girls :dance:

I've heard some say the chickens don't like the really big ones, so I wondered how mine would take to a whopper I found the other day. Florrie is a superstar slug buster - she beat it to death then shared the innards with the others. :lol::vom:8)

But slugs in the kitchen would completely finish me off! :shock:

Egluntine, you have my sympathy - our old house had a kitchen that was a slug magnet - they used to crawl in the cat-flap, and during the night, the floor would be covered in them. Tigger and Hartley would manfully try and munch their way through the hoards, but there would always be more the next night. It was a bit of a minefield if you went into the kitchen at night for a glass of water. :vom: . We used to spread salt on the kitchen step to try and deter them.

I HATE SLUGS!!!!!

Good idea about the salt!

I've put a strip of Copper Slug Barrier Tape along the step, but will put a line of salt too.

Ta for that. :lol:

i know it sounds a bit odd but i would feel really guilty about feeding anything living to another animal. i've always had a thing about animals and i like them all. (i know i sound like a hippie!) i would be fine about my chooks eating what they find but actally picking them up and watching them being pecked to death is really hard to watch. iam not being mean or anything i've just always been the one to sob my heart out when watching nature programs (bill oddie gets me going, when a hawk comes back to the nest with a baby mouse or something)

I hate slugs too and so do my chooks, but I have accidentally discovered that Hemcore/Aubiose is pretty effective at stopping them - I think it's because it's dry and a bit sharp. I have sprinkled some around the base of my Tradescantia plant, which is a slug magnet and they seem to be keeping away. Those that have ventured on it have exuded a load of slime and headed off.

i know it sounds a bit odd but i would feel really guilty about feeding anything living to another animal. i've always had a thing about animals and i like them all. (i know i sound like a hippie!) i would be fine about my chooks eating what they find but actally picking them up and watching them being pecked to death is really hard to watch. iam not being mean or anything i've just always been the one to sob my heart out when watching nature programs (bill oddie gets me going, when a hawk comes back to the nest with a baby mouse or something)

Ha ha come round my house one day when I am preparing "slug kebabs" for the birdies - I impale them on wooden kebab sticks and thrust them into the ground Vlad the Impaler stylee for the garden birds - they love them!

No really, I am a bit of a hippy too, but I draw the line at slugs. Once I trod on one and it popped and all its insides went up my leg so I have no fellow feeling for them.

i know it sounds a bit odd but i would feel really guilty about feeding anything living to another animal. i've always had a thing about animals and i like them all. (i know i sound like a hippie!) i would be fine about my chooks eating what they find but actally picking them up and watching them being pecked to death is really hard to watch.

I am exactly the same! :oops::oops:

However when Flump was poorly with sour crop i gave her white maggots.

If its a choice between my chook possibly dying or a few maggots kicking the bucket then its the maggots every time! :lol::lol::lol:

Chicken04 are you a vegatarian? :?