joybelle

Toilet training

We had to have our much loved springer spaniel PTS on the 11th November and got another

springer pup just 10 days later because we hated to be without a dog. She is three months old now

and went out for the first time today. Well the toilet training isn`t going well,it doesnt matter how

long she spends in the garden she comes back in and goes to the toilet, thought she would go when we

were out today but no no no!!.

We havnt had a pup since 1985 as milly our last springer was a rescue dog and was clean when we got her.

Didnt realise it would be so difficult to begin to get Smudge toilet trained. We have followed all the advice

we could read up on.

Joy

Hi

We have a labrador puppy who we've had for two months and she is now fifteen weeks old. It's only in the past couple of days that things seem to have got better with toilet training. She now cries when she needs to go in the garden and we haven't had any 'accidents' in the house for 3 days which is fantastic! I know it's early days but it does seem as if all the hard work is paying off and there is a light at the end of the tunnel! :D

Sally

I know how you are feeling, It's sooo frustrating. It's very early days TBH, I've gone through it also this year, it's shocking. I found the training pads really helpful. Keep whatever you use in the same place and move it towards the door slowly. It's take ages for them to realise they have to pee out doors, I used to stand out there for ages, saying 'do a wee wee' like a nutter! Always have a treat in your hand to use immediately and don't come in until they've gone!!!

Stick with it, it happens all of a sudden. I found my dog trainers a great source of info.... have you posted any pics?

I have to say I am not a great lover of crates, I used one with Jessie as she was destructive when left anf got very stressed, but if you are at home all day which I assume you are if you have a puppy and this time of year then you should be fine without a crate, I have never used one to toilet train in all the years I have had dogs and never had any problems. But. Can only speak from my experience.

I agree stay out freezing your bits off until she goes and reward reward reward when she does, I used to go silly and make all kinds of fuss of them when they did that.. They soon learn. Good luck.. And yes any pics???

We had a similar problem with Otis and paid for someone to come in to advise us, they stayed hours with us and helped us to understand when he needed to go and helped us decipher the signs that he gave that he wanted to go out (we thought it would be as simple as him whining at the door but it wasnt!) It turned out that he knew he needed to go outside but we were just had a language barrier!

once we got used to seeing the subtle signs we never missed letting him out when he needed to go so he was able to go straight out and got a treat for using the garden and there were no more accidents. it was money well spent - about £40

The other thing is that your little lady may not want to toilet on a hard surface like your garden, its worth putting her on a lead and taking her round the front to see if that helps

I'm really sorry about your Springer :(

Mmmmm, we to have Springer Spaniels, or should I say Sprinkler Spaniels! Even now if they get too excited they can leak, and Spaniels and excitement are a package. Owning this breed has been eventful (the time they gate crashed a funeral, hopped in the he"Ooops, word censored!" etc...). All I can say is be persistent, they are a clever breed and learn well, but mostly good luck - you'll need it!!!!!!

Mmmmm, we to have Springer Spaniels, or should I say Sprinkler Spaniels! Even now if they get too excited they can leak, and Spaniels and excitement are a package. Owning this breed has been eventful (the time they gate crashed a funeral, hopped in the he"Ooops, word censored!" etc...). All I can say is be persistent, they are a clever breed and learn well, but mostly good luck - you'll need it!!!!!!

Sprinkler Spaniels! :lol: Yes very appropriate! Luckily I haven't had to go through this with my girls as they were both adult rescues, but Ruby can be very particular about her toilette! She will cross her legs for hours and will only go once out on a walk (then we have to wait for 5 minutes until she's empty), but get her too excited in the house and she becomes Miss Piddlepants :lol:

We need a pic of this springer pup - they are adorable, a gorgeous breed :D

I was just going to start a thread when I noticed this, please help save my sanity, I'm fed up and demoralised that we are seeing no improvement in our toilet training regime.

We got Coco a shih tzu 3 and a half weeks ago, she is coming up to twelve weeks old. She is crated and we take her outside for her business LOTS, she knows to go outside and does so faithfully as we have treated her and praised her an awful lot outside. She gets it.

Unfortunately she still feels free to do it inside too. Take now, she has just been outside and had a wee, came inside and peed by the table! We do have pee pads inside and she takes no notice. But the fact she has just been outside and come in and done it again has really demoralised me, I feel like we have seen no improvement at all.

When she is in her crate she is fine and can hold herself. No accidents over night or when we go out. HELP :(

lol...when I saw the title I thought oooooo tiolet training a chicken...this'll be interesting :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anyway, I can sympathise with all of the comments above. We have a King Charles Cavalier who is now 13 months old. On the whole she is good but we do have occasions that she goes out and then goes toilet in the house!! The best thing is that she knows she has done wrong as I go to get her and she leggs it for the back door!! :lol::lol:

She is now banned from going upstairs as she constantly used my eldest sons bedroom as a toilet!! :evil:

Keep going CatrieB you'll get there in the end :D

i think you'll find that the piddle pads will encourage her to think that it's OK to piddle indoors; it's best to adopt the zero tolerance policy - don't say anythign when she messes indoors, not even any eye contact, just continue to praise her when she performs where you want her to. To avoid confusing her it might be better to limit her to a couple of rooms, preferably those which are easily cleaned. Avoid re-soiling by cleaning any wet/mess up using biological laundry liquid/powder as this will eliminate the smell when makes them return to a spot.

Good luck, like children, some dogs just take longer than others.

I've never house trained a pup before, but when we got our rescue dog Tango back in August she was not house trained. I imagine the training is the same for a pup as an adult. She took a bit of time to get the hang of what she was supposed to do - I think it took about 7 weeks before we were confident she was house trained. She got lots of praise/fuss/treat when she went outside but ignored if we found an accident indoors, we just cleaned it up quickly with no fuss. We found she favoured a couple of areas in the house, so ended up restricting access to those areas (one of her favoured areas was by the front door so we had to create a barricade of chairs across the hallway to stop her getting through). That helped a lot. We never, ever told her off for going inside but if we caught her in the act we interrupted her (clapped our hands and called her name) and took her straight outside to finish her business and then praised her. Some days it felt like two steps forward and one back as we would think she was getting the hang of things and then all of a sudden we would find a puddle but be patient, your pup WILL get the hang of what to do. I also agree that you need to use an enzyme-containing product (bio washing powder or a pet spray) to get rid of the smell properly otherwise previously soiled areas can attract dogs back to the area to soil again. We ended up shampooing our carpets (which was great until Tango weed on it again within a matter of hours!! :roll: ). Good luck.

Well Smudge is almost four months old and I`m sorry to say we are no nearer getting her

toilet trained as we were when we got her, so fustrating. She is clean during the night never get up

to any mess so thats good. I`m thinking now of getting someone in for some training as suggested

by Tasha as dont know what else to do, getting fed up of cleaning carpets every day.