scubababe

Bread 'V' Chickens

Bread is absorbent and can soak up the liquid in the crop, causing a blockage. Eaten in large quantities, indivicual pieces can join with other pieces, and swell into a large gloopy mass which is difficult to deal with. (ANyone who has tried to chomp through a whole doughnut quickly (eg trying to get the whoe thing in one's mouth and doing one big swallow to win a competition may recognise this. The damn thing swells up so it's not possible to close mouth or actually swallow. Not that I'm speaking from experience, you understand.

I'm sure very stale hard bread which they have to peck at, would be ok in small quantities, as it would ebe difficult for them to eat in a quantity which would swell and join with other bits into a gloopy mass.

I've never given my girls bread because I was told about the problems of it 'stodging' up their crop. I wouldn't use it to get wormer down them either as I don't think it's a very accurate way of worming them. Also I would imagine bread doesn't really have much nutrition in it for hens. When we want to give our girls a real treat we go to the local fishing shop and buy them a half pint of maggots and they go mad for them. The are full of protein and also help with some crop problems.

The only time my lot get bread (and then it's only a tiny quantity) is when they're being given medication - its MUCH easier dropping liquid medication onto small pieces of bread, they hoover it up thinking it's a treat and everyone's happy! It was our vet that recommended this to me.

I dont give mine bread as its stupid to give an animal something which has no real nutritional content. Plus I do not eat bread myself for the same reason.

:| I wouldn't say it was 'stupid'... and, there is real nutritional value in bread for humans, obviously white, processed, bread has a much lower nutritional value, but brown bread or more specifically a lovely wholegrain/whole-wheat loaf will contain fibre, valuable carbohydrate and protein from hard wheat. Whole grains are a good source of thiamine, and their germ is rich in vitamin E, as well as containing significant amounts of potassium, phosphorus, iron and zinc. If you eat too much and stodge yourself up, bread has no nutritional content, but if you eat a small amount of non-processed (read: non supermarket) bread every day, you're getting a lot of good out of it.

*shocked*

Ambyglam wrote:I dont give mine bread as its stupid to give an animal something which has no real nutritional content. Plus I do not eat bread myself for the same reason.
but what do you put your bacon in?? :lol::lol:

I agree that you wouldn't give your ladies anything of no nutritional value but it's a great way to get Verm-x into them :wink:

Lolllll...all bread is processed no matter what type it is. Yes wholemeal bread contains more husk etc, but if bread was not processed you would be sitting down to a bowl of wheat, so just give them the wheat...the closer to nature your food is, the higher the vitamin and enzyme content.

And why would anyone wanna eat bacon....its the closest thing you can eat to human flesh...no thanks lol

Lolllll...all bread is processed no matter what type it is. Yes wholemeal bread contains more husk etc, but if bread was not processed you would be sitting down to a bowl of wheat, so just give them the wheat...the closer to nature your food is, the higher the vitamin and enzyme content.

And why would anyone wanna eat bacon....its the closest thing you can eat to human flesh...no thanks lol

I was talking about your statement that bread had 'no nutritional value' for humans. It does. And people aren't 'stupid' because they feed their chooks something you don't :/