Jenny Smedley

Eglu Cube Cleaning Advice

Hi , Honest Opinions Needed

I used to clean my cube, totally, once a week: I'd completely dismantle it, pressure wash then spray with Poultry shield to leave a residue, let it all dry in the sun , then spray with total Mite Kill, before re-assembling it all. I would put a couple sheets of newspaper in the trays with Aubiose bedding on top. Aubiose also goes in the nest box & everything would get a good shake of Louse Powder & Red Mite Powder. During the week I'd poo-pick as necessary & empty the trays & nest box out every other day- obviously refilling, dusting them etc.

The problem I have is that I have become disabled but really don't want to give up my 3 hens. If it turns out that I'm not able to look after them properly, obviously I will find them good homes, but I would like honest advice as to the cleaning routine that I can manage in my new circumstances - I'm going to "bribe" a couple of teenagers to do it.

The Cube will only be completely dismantled & fully cleaned, as above , once a month. The trays & nest box will be emptied, cleaned & refilled twice a week. Food & water (large containers) refilled, cleaned if necessary etc. every 3 days. I have a very big covered run - 10'X 30' which will be raked out of it's woodchips every 8 weeks but the girls get out, free ranging in the garden every other day, depending on the weather. My hens are wormed 3-4 times a year & I use Ivomec once a month. I will be able to get down once a day to check all is OK, OH will let out/lock up.

Do you think that will be acceptable to keep my hens in good health & happy?

Jenny

Sounds fine to me. We have a Cube and an Eglu and I have to say I started off cleaning them out much more often than I do now. I do change the paper in the trays of both of them every day and make sure there is enough rapport in the nest box and do a quick poo pick up in the run. Apart from that all I am doing is making sure they have food and fresh water every day and that's about it. When the roosting bars look as though they are in need of a good clean I will scrub them down and spray them with Poultry Shield, but with the weather being so cold I haven't done that for a few weeks :?

Hi Jenny

like you, my ability to look after my hens has become limited (due to surgery in December) and like you I too have wondered what is the barest minimum I can realistically get away with as it has fallen on my husbands shoulders while I was in hospital and after returning home 2 days ago, what can I do when he goes back to work next week.

I believe that as long as as much poo is removed as often as possible from the nest and house firstly and from the run secondly, the actual washing can be done much less often, as you describe in your new routine.

All I would add is replacing smaller containers of water fresh every day is probably better than changing large containers every few days as mine manage to get theirs dirty every day and I get hubby to freshen theirs up in the morning.

Sorry to hear about your health and I do hope that your hens can remain a source of comfort and joy rather than a stress or burden.

Sorry to hear about your health Jenny :( if you were a wee bit nearer I could send Rosie round to help you out - she's better at cleaning out the chooks than her room :roll:

Your proposal sounds brilliant - I only do a jet wash once a month, with 'bucket washes' in between and a total dismantle once or twice a year. It never gets mucky and a combo of total mite kill concentrate to wash it with and buz busters powder keep it clean and lice/mite free. I don't poo pick or empty the poo trays between the weekly cleans.

I agree with all the above - absolutely fine. I've never dismantled mine completely more than once a year, and in winter I would normally empty the poo tray and scrub the roosting bars, and possibly not clean the rest of the Eglu unless it was a really sunny day. At the moment I'm having to wash the whole blithering thing once a week, due to two of my hens roosting on top of it and decorating it liberally but I wouldn't do it otherwise.

Most of the cleaning we do is for our benefit, not the hens - as long as they are not sitting in poop, and as long as it doesn't smell, I am fairly relaxed about cleaning! :oops:

I'm sorry to hear about your health, I hope you can carry on with the hens.

To be honest Jenny, your cleaning regime, even your newer modified routine, puts mine to shame!

I have never fully dismantled the cube, it gets cleaned out 3 times a fortnight in the winter, as they are in there for longer, only once a week in the summer. I jet wash in the spring and summer as i can never get it completly dry in the winter and i always use Diatom and louse powder when i clean it, scrubbing when necessary, especially the roosting bars. I poo pick in the nesting box as 1 or 2 like to perch on the divide with their bottoms hanging over the nest box :lol:.

So far they have never had red mite (touch wood) and only lice a couple of times which has been quickly zapped with Johnsons anti mite spray.

So, if you only have three hens, i think your new cleaning regime is absolutely good enough! Dont worry :D

My lovely rescued girls have all decided to roost on the roof in the summer evenings. They look like a backing group all in a line!  I think they’re not used to having a full set of feathers. Any recommendations for safe cleaning products to properly clean the roof. I use a water spray and tissue daily then a good clean every weekend, taking it off, but can’t get rid of the white deposits. Any ideas welcome pls