Eggasperated Posted February 8, 2012 Share Posted February 8, 2012 I've lost count of the number of steam irons I've blown up - they only ever seem to last about two years, I think I've tried almost every make there is . A Tefal one blew up today. Is it me ? Can anyone recommend a mid-range steam iron that might last - I know they're not that expensive but it's so annoying having to replace them like this. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted February 8, 2012 Share Posted February 8, 2012 They don't last very long, mine usually spring a leak or start tripping the electrics I find it really hard trying to choose a good one, I like a really smooth gliding sole plate and a comfortable handle, but even when described as that they never seem to quite do what they are supposed to. I hate the one that I have at the moment, I have had it for about 18 months so hopefully it won't last much longer, it already leaks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
pips_pekins Posted February 9, 2012 Share Posted February 9, 2012 I used to get through irons like this but since using only ironing solution I have found they last longer. Probably costs as much though! My current iron is a Morphy Richards. It must be almost 2 but seems to be fine although I don't think I do as much ironing as I used to and tend to only do a few bits at a time due to back problems I can no longer cope with a full basket of ironing at a time although the iron is in use every other day! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted February 9, 2012 Share Posted February 9, 2012 I have to say that I used to get through an iron virtually a year but we forked out for one of those steam generator type ones and I've had it for about 4 years now. Its been brilliant, even after I dropped it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted February 9, 2012 Share Posted February 9, 2012 I had a Tefal steam generator thingy for around 5 years, and then one day it spurted rusty water all over one of Him Indoors' shirts and ruined it. I bought a cheaper, LG one and it is OKish, but ....... it tends to spurt clear water and the iron bit is much smaller. I wouldn't go for a cheap one again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Eggasperated Posted February 9, 2012 Author Share Posted February 9, 2012 Not just me then. Obviously irons aren't built to last. I'll go and stare at them in the shop until one catches my eye and then hope for the best. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted February 9, 2012 Share Posted February 9, 2012 I have the answer to this, my irons normally last about 15 years So, the secrets are: a) hardly ever do any ironing b) as a consequence of a) I iron very badly and therefore don't get asked to do any ironing c) I manage to achieve a) by wearing jumpers or cardis whenever possible, we have wipe-clean oilskins on the table and very low standards concerning the smoothness of bedlinen, although I will admit to a fondness for a crisply laundered bed d) To make b) even easier to achieve I buy good quality non-iron shirts for OH e) If my Mother hoves into view (ironer of knickers, teatowels etc) I just have to draw comparisons between my superior ironing prowess and that of my brother and SIL - I'm not sure they even own an iron Simples Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted February 9, 2012 Share Posted February 9, 2012 I am quite the opposite, although I am not a knicker ironer, I will iron pretty much anything else including tea towels, it is supposed to help kill the bugs, but I just like taking a nice smooth folded tea towel out of the drawer , they do take up less room in the drawer too. My family tut and shake their heads when the subject of ironing comes up, they tend to lose their clothes for a while from time to time hidden in my large ironing ottoman. I commented the other day that DS was wearing a Beatles t-shirt that I hadn't seen for ages, and he sadi 'that's because it was in the ironing box along with my other Beatles t-shirts and my new shirt which I have only worn once since Christmas' Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
whoopsie Posted February 9, 2012 Share Posted February 9, 2012 I think I got about a year out of the last iron before the electrics started tripping - OH lost his temper and insisted i got a new one. Very nice man in Robert Dyas went through all of the irons on sale and recommended (as HE does the ironing in his house!) a Morphy Richards Turbo Steam (purple one if that helps). So far so good, and it's better than my old one too! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Looney Posted February 9, 2012 Share Posted February 9, 2012 I rarely iron anything and last time I used an iron it blew up I took it as a sign to continue avoiding ironing as much as possible OH irons his own shirts and seems to be friends with our new iron so fingers crossed it will last a while! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted February 9, 2012 Share Posted February 9, 2012 I think my iron has lasted me over 10 years. I adopt very similar techniques to Daphne! I do iron teatowels, oddly enough - they dry up better (and it's supposed to kill bacteria). I only iron pillowslips, never duvets or sheets. My sister comes to stay about every three months, and she always empties the ironing basket before she goes home (she LIKES ironing ) I'll have to tell her to hold back, she's wearing my iron out! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Eggasperated Posted February 9, 2012 Author Share Posted February 9, 2012 I had a look on-line at the Morphy Richards and a Philips one, currently have reserved the Philips one for collection at Argos so I shall see what that is like tomorrow. I particularly wanted one that is quite light as I am having problems with my elbows. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clucker1 Posted February 9, 2012 Share Posted February 9, 2012 (edited) I too became exasperated when my last iron (costing £70) blew up after just over a year's use. I have since bought a Bosch one click, which I have had since last June. It is not heavy, early days, but so far it is behaving itself. Edited February 9, 2012 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Eggasperated Posted February 9, 2012 Author Share Posted February 9, 2012 I think all the irons, whatever brand, must be made in the same factory Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bigmommasally Posted February 9, 2012 Share Posted February 9, 2012 I'm on my 3rd Steam Generator - first Tefal one lasted about 5 years, 2nd one Bosch was terribla & only lasted 18months but was falling apart long before it actually died completely, so have now gone back to Tefal. http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tefal-steam-generator-irons/338_3174_30262_1008_xx/xx-criteria.html Prior to steam generators I use to go through an iron every year but I think its because we live in a very hard water area. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...