Eggasperated

Aldi Fruit Trees

Thank you for the headsup.

I already have an ancient apple in my garden, a pear, another straggly looking dessert apple and several straggly plums; last year I planted another pear, 2x bramley's and 3 other varieties of apple (all purchased from the £stretcher). Aldi's versions sound better value and I rather fancy adding cherries to my mini orchard. :think: *Note to self: send dh out tomorrow while I slave away at Uni* :wink:

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip!

I picked up a cooking apple and an eating apple tree to cross pollinate, and they are dwarf stock which is what I wanted, fantastic value, considering I nearly bought 1 for £25.

they are going in the Girls free range area along with some bamboo to make it look a bit nicer for me :wink:

I have also bought some Banana tree and some Olive tree seeds but they will take ages to end up in the ground.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip!

I picked up a cooking apple and an eating apple tree to cross pollinate, and they are dwarf stock which is what I wanted, fantastic value, considering I nearly bought 1 for £25.

they are going in the Girls free range area along with some bamboo to make it look a bit nicer for me :wink:

I have also bought some Banana tree and some Olive tree seeds but they will take ages to end up in the ground.

Ditto!!!

I duly sent dh to Aldi (oops, that was a 36 mile round trip :oops: ) to buy some of these. He got:-

2 x "Stella" cherry

2 x "Morello" cherry

2 x "Red Haven" peach

1 x "Victoria" plum

These are in addition to my current mini orchard. I had to explain, in words of one syllable: "They are a bar-GAIN!" :roll: (YSD thought: homebrew!! :dance: ) DH has no concept that bare-rooted fruit trees range from £15 - £35 :wall:

So, for the princely sum of £28 I will now have a fabulous "orchard" to fill our tums and my freezer with :dance::dance::dance:

Duncan08 - do choose your bamboo wisely!!!! Some spread through "runners" underground and are a blighter to keep under control/get rid of. Others can be far more "managable" and contained but can grow to tree standard strength. All I'm saying is, do research which type of bamboo before you commit yourself. Or, restrict them to pots on paving. Also weigh up whether you want an evergreen type or a deciduous type :wink: It matters!!! :lol:

Went to Aldi in Hexham and got 2 apple trees today. We have rejigged the garden because we are getting a large greenhouse and now there is space for fruit trees. Last weekend at the posh garden centre in Newcastle apple trees ranged from £20 to £50 so even if one of the Aldi trees dies we are still quids in.

happy gardening

Jackie

Jackie, please indulge me while I share my (albeit) limited experience :oops:

Due to my ever increasing/rarely decreasing, circumstances, with the very best will in the world I was very late in purchasing some fruit trees last year. Even worse, the advice regarding fruit trees is; even if you can't plant immediately, heel them in! Well, I was too late in the season to do that too :oops: Instead, I put my bare-rooted trees in a sheltered position and held them there until October 2011. They were then planted on a wing and a prayer!

*THIS* season, I have bought some more :dance: However, I do know that I can't plant them into frozen ground! So, my plan is, plant them when the worst is over!

Philosophy ~2: If they are meant to be; so be it :wink: End-of! :wink:

Thanks Mum for the bamboo tip. It is black bamboo which is clump forming so is one if the few that won't run riot. :clap: The canes turn black aft about 3 years.

It's the olive tree seeds that intrigue me, have you ever heard of anyone growing olive trees in north uk?

The only experience I have is some friends of mine in Crete who grow their own. And thy are usually ancient trees that live in the sunny med. The blurb tells you to grow in pots so you can bring them in in winter, so I don't think they will get too big :P

there's no rush to plant bare root trees you'e got to the end of March early April at a push. with supermarket trees it best to buy early before they get to warm and start to grow.they just need to be kept cool and frost free.

I've kept a bare root tree about 6-7 weeks in a unheated spare room before now it was delivered right before Christmas then the weather turned was really wet for a couple of weeks then went really cold so it was Feb before it got planted but it's still going

Thank you, sjp.

Thanks Mum for the bamboo tip. It is black bamboo which is clump forming so is one if the few that won't run riot. :clap: The canes turn black aft about 3 years ....
Oooh, lovely!!! There's a gorgeous clump of that on campus and I keep eyeing it up wondering if I could perhaps "liberate" a little bit of the clump and re-plant it against my back fence :whistle: That's the evergreen one too, isn't it? I have just the spot and campus can be very quiet on Bank Holidays :shh:

No experience of olive trees.

I would love A Braeburn...

Just to say that anything you do plant in a hen run or free range area will need its roots protecting from busy hen feet,because they WILL try to dig it up again.

I speak from experience.

A layer of bricks around the bottom should help until the plant is well enough established.

Quite fancy a bamboo in the hen pen myself,although mine would eat it i am sure :roll:

Someone on here recommended the bamboo, and my mum wanted an apple.

I am going to dig out the hole and line it with chicken wire until they get established. If the banana trees ever grow, they need packing with wire and straw for the winter.

canary palms might work too as they have a trunk.

Does anyone know if grapes vines are poisonous to the girls.

Thank you, sjp.

Thanks Mum for the bamboo tip. It is black bamboo which is clump forming so is one if the few that won't run riot. :clap: The canes turn black aft about 3 years ....
Oooh, lovely!!! There's a gorgeous clump of that on campus and I keep eyeing it up wondering if I could perhaps "liberate" a little bit of the clump and re-plant it against my back fence :whistle: That's the evergreen one too, isn't it? I have just the spot and campus can be very quiet on Bank Holidays :shh:

No experience of olive trees.

:wink: won't say a word, i can smell all the pies coming from your house later in the year, what a great selection!

If the Olives come up I"ll send you one :roll: have absolutely no idea what will happen, they did seem to think that it will fruit :think:

:wink: won't say a word, i can smell all the pies coming from your house later in the year, what a great selection!

If the Olives come up I"ll send you one :roll: have absolutely no idea what will happen, they did seem to think that it will fruit :think:

Pies? And crumbles and parfaits and ice creams and nibbles and cake fillings and so many things I'm drooling just at the thought :lol: DH did admit that it was bedlam in Aldi's as every customer seemed to want to grab fruit trees (just not the apple and pears!?) He used his technique of "grab everything- put into trolley-walk off - *then* make a decision and return what I hadn't text him about" :wink:

Oh do send me an olive ... I'll send you a cherry pie in payment :D (I adore olives!!!)

I already have two, I just wanted more :oops: I had blue tits last year :D DH was :shock: he genuinely didn't think birds used them and they were merely for "decoration" :roll::wall:

Oh I would love a camera in mine ... but I think I'll have to save up the pennies first :oops: