cheekymonkey68 Posted February 25, 2012 Share Posted February 25, 2012 Having spend most of friday assembling the Cube and WIR thankfully with the help of my OH. I got my first ever chickens today so excited I can stop looking at them. Even better I only had them half an hour and I got my first egg too! I have two Bluebells a Speckledy and Golden star. I noticed that the bluebells are pecking each other and the other birds, is this them trying to establish a pecking order ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hayleybug Posted February 25, 2012 Share Posted February 25, 2012 ooh lucky you! you do know that everyone will be expecting photos?! i think that unless the pecking gets overly aggressive or draws blood then they will just be sorting out the pecking order and it should settle down. this is definitely the place to ask any questions though everyone is so helpful! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
loumabel Posted February 25, 2012 Share Posted February 25, 2012 congratulations!!! Welcome to the forum and lots of luck with your girls, can't wait to see the pictures!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jackian Posted February 25, 2012 Share Posted February 25, 2012 Welcome and congratulations ..and an egg what more could you ask for on the first day. You will spend a lot of time watching ..Enjoy. The pecking is pecking order and unless it gets nasty it should sort it self. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cheekymonkey68 Posted February 25, 2012 Author Share Posted February 25, 2012 Thanks so much for all your replies! Its so lovely to know that there is instant help and support at the touch of a button if needed. Im just going to set up their night light to see if they put themselves to bed :) I think that would just be asking too much...but you never know! so how to post photos on here then ?? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cloud Posted February 25, 2012 Share Posted February 25, 2012 Im just going to set up their night light to see if they put themselves to bed :) I think that would just be asking too much...but you never know! That worried me too when we first had our earlier this month. First night they just would not go in. Tried a torch, tried bribery with a little corn, but they preferred to hunch down together in the run (in the snow). Eventually I had to pick them each up an put them in. It was the first time I'd hadled hens, so was a bit of shock for us all That was the first night. The second night they put themselves to bed without us even asking, and that's how it's been ever since. Anyway, congratulations on your new hens!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cheeky Chooky Posted February 25, 2012 Share Posted February 25, 2012 Congratulations! Look forward to seeing some pics Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cheekymonkey68 Posted February 25, 2012 Author Share Posted February 25, 2012 Wow! They even put themselves to bed, that was cool! Thanks for the lovely welcome all, I will take piccys tommorow.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superkitty Posted February 25, 2012 Share Posted February 25, 2012 Well done girls! They are clever little things, aren't they? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted February 25, 2012 Share Posted February 25, 2012 Congratulations from us too Lovely hens you have. Just need the photies now. Best wishes. Alli x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Duncan08 Posted February 25, 2012 Share Posted February 25, 2012 Congratulations, I lose hours with my girls, they are the best time waster ever, as you get to know their personalities and they get to know you it will get even better Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
eve Posted February 26, 2012 Share Posted February 26, 2012 welcome happy henning. its the best hobby ever. just wait till you get morehens dieseas..... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cheekymonkey68 Posted February 26, 2012 Author Share Posted February 26, 2012 Hi All, here are some piccys! I have one Bluebell which is pulling out the feathers of all the other birds is this normal ?? Or should I get ready with anti peck spray and bumper bit ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jackian Posted February 26, 2012 Share Posted February 26, 2012 Oh they are so beautiful..Did you have a good first day and waste a lot of time Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hayleybug Posted February 26, 2012 Share Posted February 26, 2012 aww they are all gorgeous- bluebelles are particularly pretty i think. if the feather plucking doesnt stop you may have to take action- i'm sure someone with more experience will be along with proper advice shortly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cheekymonkey68 Posted February 26, 2012 Author Share Posted February 26, 2012 Its so funny I still cant stop looking at them! Each one of them had a cuddle today, and I found a really cool trick... If I point over the top of the chicken I want to pick up (as if Im telling it off) it usually flattens ! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cloud Posted February 26, 2012 Share Posted February 26, 2012 Its so funny I still cant stop looking at them! Each one of them had a cuddle today, and I found a really cool trick... If I point over the top of the chicken I want to pick up (as if Im telling it off) it usually flattens ! Lovely birds you have, no wonder you keep looking at them. The flattening means they will all be laying soon. Only one of our girls flatten - and she's the only one we can catch when they're free ranging in the garden. p.s. great avatar too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hayleybug Posted February 26, 2012 Share Posted February 26, 2012 Its so funny I still cant stop looking at them! Each one of them had a cuddle today, and I found a really cool trick... If I point over the top of the chicken I want to pick up (as if Im telling it off) it usually flattens ! i think that basically means you are top of the pecking order which is a good thing!! look forward to those eggs fairly soon Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cheeky Chooky Posted February 28, 2012 Share Posted February 28, 2012 Awww lovely pics of your new girls Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted February 29, 2012 Share Posted February 29, 2012 Your girls look lovely cheekymonkey68 ! I have rather a soft spot for bluebells. I'm not allowed scratchers or biggies so they are ruled out for me for now, but who know, perhaps one day (By the way, is that a wee rattle in your avatar? I love fancy ratties and have kept quite a few over the years. The new Omlet easy clean hammy cage is tempting me to go get another couple ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cheekymonkey68 Posted February 29, 2012 Author Share Posted February 29, 2012 I got my first non softy eggs from the blue belles today, one was big and brown either that or my dear little speckledy laid a massive egg! The other blue bells lays on the roosting bars and the egg keeps falling through and smashing.. so I have filled poop trays with aubiose in the hope that the egg doesnt break this time... I gave them baked egg shell and mixed grit in the hope to stop the softies. Its so magical coming home and finding eggs in the nest box!! :) Yes the avatar is a little Ratty..I have a bit of a soft spot for Rats, Gerbils and Jerboas unfortunately dont have any as am dearly wishing to get a dog and that would just be too much like lunch for most doggies.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...