cloud

Our First Egg (with pictures)

:dance::dance:

We have our first egg. :shock:

native-first-egg.jpg

OH found it in the nestbox when she came home from work. We're all assuming it's Bettie Blue's as she's the only one of our girls squatting. And she's looking very proud of herself (and Augustus seems to agree)

first-egg-culprit.jpg

It's small but perfect. Looks like I have be having a (small) egg sandwich for my lunch tomorrow :D

FirstEgg.jpg

Well done Bettie Blue :clap:

He does spend rather a lot of time watching them...

bestplace.jpg

We had a couple of softies over the weekend. One we know was from Bettie, the other we assume was too. Today we had a good egg from her and the largest so far at 44g. And Coco has continued to lay, mostly 41g but she also produced our smallest so far at 24g. Nothing from our other to yet.

I am not sure how much the girls eggs weigh but Lola has always laid much larger eggs that Layla and they are both Isa Warren hybrids. I found that my large fowl silkies laid small eggs to start off with but now Estelle's eggs are nearly the same size as Laylas which is great :D

He looks like he fancies chicken for his supper in that photo :lol:

I hope not! I think he just wants to play, but the girls are taking no notice.

I am not sure how much the girls eggs weigh but Lola has always laid much larger eggs that Layla and they are both Isa Warren hybrids. I found that my large fowl silkies laid small eggs to start off with but now Estelle's eggs are nearly the same size as Laylas which is great :D

Ours are getting a little bigger. 44g now from Bettie and 46g today from Coco. Ginger might be squatting, so with luck we'll have three girls laying by next week.

Coco's egg is almost identical to Betties, but is slightly darker and has faint speckles at one end. A speckled egg from a speckled hen. Looking forward to see what Ginger lays.