Diana1

my hen is crowing

On two occasions now Pirate II has started crowing like a rooster while Annie is laying :shock: Has anyone experienced this? Luckily keeping the bedroom door of the eglu closed prevents her from crowing at daybreak. She did crow at daybreak - around 6.am the other morning when hubby didn't realise that the bedroom door needs to be shut as well now.

Hi Diana1

I can't actually help other than to say that when I was a kid I had a polish cross hen who would crow every morning when she was let out of her house and lay an egg later on. She was the only hen I had as her 'mother' died so it could only be her who laid. When I told an Aunt of mine she looked quite upset and said that she'd had hens like that on the farm but they always culled then when they crowed!

I'm sure taht someone here will be able to help you.

Good luck :)

one of my ladies tries to crow. She rears up on her perch and postures just like a cockrel and opens her mouth as if crowing but thankfully no noise comes out (yet!) :pray: . I think it can happen where a more dominant female will 'assume the role' as it were where there is no cockrel.

One of my hens started crowing three times in a row at sunrise when the other hen was broody. It wasn't as loud as a rooster, but she did her best and I could hear flapping wings as well like she was impersonating a male! Fortunately, it only lasted a few days!

One of my hens started crowing three times in a row at sunrise when the other hen was broody. It wasn't as loud as a rooster, but she did her best and I could hear flapping wings as well like she was impersonating a male! Fortunately, it only lasted a few days!

I have a hen who crows occasionally and she flaps her wings when she does it too! Stands right up on her tippy-toes as well :lol:

One of my ex-batts ( she was named Tinsel and re-named He/She) started to crow when she stopped laying eggs. She was so loud that we had to rehome her with my in-laws and their girls. She got worse after my in-laws got a cockerel. She attacked him and had to be homed with her own group of girls. After that she went on to live a long and happy life and has only recently died, nearly five years after being taken out of the battery cage.

Oh dear I heard my ex-battery sounding like she was trying to crow the other day because I was working from home - I have 3 ex-batts of which two don't lay anymore and she is one of those. I hope this doesn't happen too often! She is the top of the pecking order.