chuckmum6

Cat with the start of liver failure - advice please.

I have just come back form our vets with my 17yr old moggie Duffel, he has changed rapidly from a large furry over stuffed cushion of a cat to a far too thin one in the space of a couple of weeks. He has been eating, but stop yesterday, hence the journey to the vet. In himself he is happy enough and still as active as he ever has been (not very ever).

The blood tests show his liver function is impaired, the vet feels there is little to do other than monitor him at home, but it will end in him being PTS. I have been told to keep him on any food he will eat.

If anyone has any advice I would be grateful for it.

Duffel has eaten today (a selection of expensive cat food) he has also had some watery gravy I made him so is more hydrated. He has assumed his normal position on the sofa and seems brighter. I know his days are numbered but I think he should be able to enjoy a few more if he keeps nibbling away.

I'm sorry to hear that! I had a cat who died of that a few years ago as did my parents' cat who was much younger. It was hard to let go even though she was about 15. Subcutaneous fluids might help keep the cat hydrated and feeling well enough to eat for a while. She perked up a bit after she got some at the vet's. My other cat, who is now 17, has kidney disease and I have been giving her regular subcutaneous fluids at home so that I have more time with her and can get used to the idea of saying goodbye. She was diagnosed late last April and has always been my shadow. :(

I have found a cat food he likes, he has perked up and is eating much better, so he is feeling better. When we come home from work he is always waiting for us on the drive, of late he hasn't been, however this week he was back on the drive - waiting for his tea! I know this is likely to be a short lived revival, but if I can fatten him up a bit and keep him happy (food and sofa are his loves in life), he may have more quality time left. Thank you everyone for your kind words, the sofas will look very very empty when he has gone.

So sorry to hear about Duffel, but glad he's perked up. I haven't had experience of liver failure but my friend's cat Toffee was extremely poorly last week and everyone was sure she was on the way out. Toffee wasn't eating at all, vomiting and wasting away and my friend thought it was kidney failure as she's already lost one of her cats to that and was prepared for the worst. As an attempt to get Toffee to eat something I gave her a tube of Mia's Lick-e-lix which is a yoghurty drink/treat - Mia is a very fussy eater but adores that so I thought it was worth a try. Well Toffee had a little bit, then some more and now she is almost back to full health. My friend is convinced that the Lick-e-lix was her saviour, though I think that the TLC and medicine that Toffee received probably had more to do with it. I've checked the Webbox website and a lot of people are using it to disguise tablets etc., so that's useful to remember. Probably not good for them every day though, I only give it to Mia once or twice a week.

Love to Duffel x