Christian

Best Flea and tick drops?

Well, that's the question that's been on my mind too since finding ticks in my house :vom:

I think you can only get frontline combo at the vets.

Frontline is what I have been using, it definitely is effective but because it only kills ticks if they bite the cat, the ticks can still be on the cat & come inside. I've bought it from Hyperdrug online.

Ive also used stronghold which treats fleas and worms - I think you can only get that on prescription (though I might be wrong)! That worked as well.

I've also used advocate which also seems effective, possibly you might need to get that from the vet too.

Then I've just got some seresto flea and tick collars from the vet. I'm not sure what they will be like but they claim to kill fleas and ticks on contact with the pet.

That's what ive found out so far!

From the couple of discussions on here recently it seems that probably Frontline or Frontline Combo are best. Both kill fleas and ticks once they bite the animal, but Chucky Mama explained that the Frontline Combo also breaks the egg cycle in fleas so that they don't live and reproduce in your carpet and soft furnishings.

You can buy regular Frontline in quite a lot of places, but Frontline Combo is prescription only and you will need to get it from your vet, or obtain the prescription from your vet if you wish to purchase it elsewhere such as online.

I get Frontline Combo from the vets Christian, it's not the cheapest thing ever but certainly stops them bringing in fleas and ticks. Considering that my two spend a lot of time rabbiting in the undergrowth, that's no mean feat :D

I also give them NAF's Garlic and Mint in their food - just a pinch - as I understand that it helps to repel fleas.

I do check them for ticks if we've been walking in 'deer country' and can recommend that you get an O'Tom tick hook as they are marvellous and do the job far better than tweezers. Remember to check between the dog's toes too - ticks love that warm, soft place. My two have webbed toes so I'm extra careful.

Have you seen any fleas on Milo?

If not and you don't want to go to the bother of getting a prescription for Combo then I would use standard Frontline as it covers fleas and ticks. It doesn't kill anything that might be hatching out in your house (which combo does) but if this is just prevention you should be ok without treating the house...unless the previous owner had dogs or more importantly cats. If they did I would get a tin of RIP Fleas (also good to spritz around the hen house for mites) or Indorex is good too (RIP smells nicer) and spray the house to prevent any residual fleas larvae hatching out. I would keep an OTom tick hook in your first aid kit too as although Frontline will kill ticks, they will still attach for a short time. Also handy if one attaches to you. You will of course need to routinely worm him with Drontal or Plerion every 3-4 months like the hens. (Stronghold doesn't kill all common worms and Advocate doesn't kill ticks and both need prescriptions)

Just a thought, but if your terrorist likes to grub around in the undergrowth or chase things then you might want to have a pet first kit in your car.

Hounds can shift at speeds of up to 30mph and have thin skin; I have seen countless nasty injuries in the past, and acted as a dog ambulance too. The first aid kit is real peace of mind in knowing that you can treat something or stabilise a situation while you get to the vet. My friend has permission to work farmland nearby with their lurcher, to rid it of rabbits; he carries sutures and all sorts of things in his pack. :?

As the farmer has decided to not allow dogs off lead on his land any more, I have a 10m long line that attaches to Milo's harness, so he can run around (and behind the hedgerow, let him off as no one can see :shh::wink: ) That along with his water bottle, short lead for road walking etc etc I always carry a bag with me, so will get a first aid kit too. I have pretty much everything for the hens and me :lol: Wound powder, saline, purple spray etc etc, plus bandages! Thanks for the tip :D

Have spoken to the vet and it is £45 for 6 months supply, if I put him on a diet it will be cheaper as he is just over the 10kg mark :lol::lol::wink:

Worming tablets sorted too! Plus I have the tick remover already 8)

Thanks for the advice! :D Much appreciated.

I've been thinking about this too for my little s"Ooops, word censored!"! He's barely 2lb so is under the weight recommended for these. My vet said it would be ok - but has anyone had experience of it on little dog's? I don't want to overload his little body!

Christian, what a wonderful doggie owner you are :D You have got everything covered, what a lucky boy Milo is :D

Thanks CM. Just the biting of visitors to sort out now....although the dog whisperer and I are working on it. In 4 days a massive improvement! :D

How old is he and exactly how heavy is he? If he is underweight and has fleas he would be better off being sprayed with Frontline Spray (Prescription Only).

He is 16 weeks and I'll weigh him tomorrow, but was about 2lb, he doesn't have fleas, but I'm just getting ready with my research. I have been using tablets as recommended by his breeder because he is so small, but am worried that these might not be enough, especially come summer.

Thanks chuckymama!

I have also just got some doggy Vermix treats from Omlet in the post. HAs anyone used these for their dog's? I know they are not 100% effective for hens so am concerned about their worth with dog's! Again - I don't want to overwhelm him with drugs as he is so little!

If you are worming it is very important to use a veterinary wormer as roundworm can be an issue in puppies. Roundworm can have implications with humans, particularly children causing in rare cases blindness. Check when your pup was last wormed with your breeder when you collect and ensure that you follow up at the correct times :)

He's six weeks old now and i have been using Johnsons worming tablets as used by his breeder. I have one more dose due next week but am thinking beyond that!

He is 16 weeks and I'll weigh him tomorrow

He's six weeks old now and i have been using Johnsons worming tablets as used by his breeder. I have one more dose due next week but am thinking beyond that!
6 weeks old? I thought they are supposed to stay with their mum until 8 weeks? :?

:? I am confused. Is he 16 or 6 weeks?

6 weeks is very young for them to be leaving mum, it is better to wait a little longer but it is not uncommon for breeders to let puppies go at this age.

Johnson's Puppy wormers are ok but rather harsh for pups of this age, especially one so small. The active ingredient in Johnsons used to be in a veterinary wormer called Lopotal and I remember it having to be given on an empty stomach with a little food and it used to make a lot of adult dogs sick. We never used it in puppies. Droncit puppy or Panacur would be better.