Leicester_H

Smokie has Peritonitis - VERY sad update

Smokie usually laid eggs 2 out of 3 days but hadn't laid for a week.

Running around when free-ranging but starting to stand hunched in run.

Then not eating pellets but eating treats (corn, meal worms etc).

Then yesterday & today not really bothering with treats...

... so off to the vets.

Diagnosed Peritonitis - gave 1 injection for the discomfort/pain and one of anti-biotics.

Also 'given' weeks supply of baytril to give and advised to keep her indoors and to pamper her!

Few hours at home and I think she's already a little bit perkier (certainly no worse).

So please keep your fingers (and anything else!) crossed for her.

The vet was excellent - so anyone in Leicester, again I can recommend Borrajo's Veterinary Clinic in Oadby, Leicester.

H

Edited by Guest

Hope your Smokie feels better soon..

wish I had a decent vet here..

took my Twiggle (with a bad peritonitis) to vet Wednesday....lovely girl vet confirmed problem and suggested starting Baytril and Metacam for 2 days, then take her back Friday to drain off ( via syringe ) a fair amount of the infecion from her underneath.

Took Twiggle back - saw different vet - he said " no way would he attempt to syringe out any of the bad fluid ! I explained that she was calm on the last visit when the other vet syringed out a large lot of the infected fluid...he just said " well I do not advocate that action at all " ! ! ? ?

so, gave me yet another antibiotic (Tylan powder ) which needs to be mixed with water and syringed into mouth as they wont eat it on food because it is so bitter. Am trying this, but Twiggle looks pretty rough today . I am thinking of ringing vet in morning and asking if the original vet would be happy to try the way she suggested last week . Surely if a vast amount of the infected liquid is drawn out, thedrugs will have less to have to kill, therefore (possibly) work more effectively ? aswell as making the swellin smaller and therefore make Twiggle more comfortable ? Any thoughts ?

Thanks so much,

Soozie. :o(

I would go back to the 'better' vet ASAP.

I lost my first chicken to peritonitis as I took her too late and she had to be PTS.

My vet injected her with antibiotic (baytril I *THINK*) and a painkiller for the discomfort - this had a quick effect.

Then she gave me a weeks worth of oral baytril.

Maybe you could raise this to discuss ??

Good Luck, H

Well, would you beleive it - the original vet ( the nice one ) has left the practice !! since last wednesday !!

only other one available today was the misery guts one who really didnt seem to be that bothered..so reluctantly have had to make an appointment for tomorrow ( wednesday ) with the practice manager ( who is absolutely lovely) . Gave Twiggy a nice warm bath just now as her botty was pretty 'claggy' ..and managed to squirt the meds down heer throat ( much to her disgust !! )

I have some Colloidal silver spray, wondered if its worth giving her undercarriage a squirt or 2 ? It looks so red and sore ? Will deffo mention the Noroclav, as now 2 of you lovely people have suggested it....

I just hope its not too late.

Will post after tomorrows vet visit.

Thanks again.

Soozie :o)

It might be worth telling your vets that Little Hen Rescue has had excellent results using Noroclav for dogs. Dose is one tablet 250 x 2 daily for 4 days.

It is posted on their website.

Thanks - what is address of 'their website' - did google search but just got various vet sites.

Also, seems to be a prescription drug ?? Do I have to ask vet for it (would be quicker than getting prescription from vet and then sending off for it ) ??

H

Hi again,

Smokie is no better. She's not really eaten or drunk anything for about a week now. She did eat some sweetcorn covered in the Baytril dose and did eat a small peice of apple just now - so all is not lost.

Have phoned vet and she will call us back later. (I don't want to stress Smokie with another trip to the vet unless essential) - asked if she needs more or different medicine.

Have looked on Little Hen rescue site and it doesn't seem to mention noroclav for peritonitis ? (it DOES mention it as an anti biotic for prolapse)

H