bluekarin

Our new puppy - update with new photos

So, the search for our new addition continues........we (I) have decided on a cocker spaniel based on its temperament and suitability with cats, kids and its size. I have been searching for a few weeks now, seen a couple of possibles but come to nothing yet, mainly due to the price people are asking for them. Am I being unreasonable? Is £350 too little to pay for a pup which is what I am hoping will be the max we pay?

Edited by Guest

Yes I have. I've seen one we could afford, but its an hour and a half drive away.

I have also looked on Preloved, Freeads, Pets4homes, epupz and contacted breeders via The Kennel Club. If anyone knows of any more, please share :D (need to cover Wilts, Dorset and Hants)

Yes I have on free ads and pets 4 homes (I think). I am a little dubious about it though. Looking at the pics they seem to be living in a garage and I don't get a positive vibe from the pics.

Here's where I saw them originally http://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy__sell/pets/dogs/cocker_spaniel/15856689/four-stunning-cocker-spaniel-puppies-for-sale-ready-now-/view#.T5ksdqvY-Ch

Um, prefix?

From the various dog websites I have looked at their temperament does seem to be good especially for our situation. I know the working strain need more stimulation than the show strain, but I have time to do that, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I wish I could get a rescue one, but the ones local to us don't have any :(

Don't want to sound negative but a friend lost her cocker and rushed out and got another via free ads, she is lovely but has so many problems, they were brought up in a shed, which I am not complaining about but they had never been inside so she was terrified and still is of lots of everyday things including washing machine, etc. Four years on and she is not a happy little dog.

I'm sure you know what you are doing so will check these things. Unfortunately lots of people breed without thinking about the genetics as cockers do have inherited problems including their eyes and reputable breeders get them tested before breeding. Of course this does put the price up, my show strain cocker was £600 which is a lot of money I know but less than my friend has paid in vets bills for the problem her dog has.

I am sure there are lots of really good home breeders out there and as long as you are able to walk away if things aren't right then you will be ok.

Good luck, it's an exciting time.

Just a thought, have you tried the breed rescue organisations, they often have dogs in foster care waiting for homes which is nice as they have been assessed. I googled cocker rescue and found some lovely dogs, I guess it also depends on what age you are looking for. I fell in love with a picture of a 2 year old gold boy, he looks so cute.

I had a look today at specific rescue centres. Up to now I'd just been looking at Dogs trust, Blue Cross and RSPCA. Unfortunately they are a bit too old. As we have cats who have never lived with a dog, we wanted a puppy so the cats don't feel pushed out. Plus, with having chickens, I'd like to be able to train the pup to stay away.

Don't want to sound negative but a friend lost her cocker and rushed out and got another via free ads, she is lovely but has so many problems, they were brought up in a shed, which I am not complaining about but they had never been inside so she was terrified and still is of lots of everyday things including washing machine, etc. Four years on and she is not a happy little dog.

I think that's what worries me about the one's who look like they are living in a garage. And about the inherited health problems. I have been in contact with a breeder in Yeovil so I shall see what she says.

\it's not a trusted world in breeding, People will sell anything and have been known to say it is out of

one dog but in fact they have been bred from a totally different dog, Cockers have a lot of health problems

and a lot of breeder don't test (eyes, heart, fits,hips) you will get what you pay for so my advice would be to

save some more money and go for a kennel club registered breeder and go for a show line rather than a working line.

Don't want to sound negative, I really don't, but I do think that going for a cheaper alternative might cost a lot more in the long run - you never know what long term problems it might have. I know you can never guarantee the health of the individual puppy, but at least if you get one from a KC reg breeder who has screened for the "usual stuff" you have a fighting chance?

Have you considered a rescue/mongrel? I think you would usually pay about £100-£150 for one of those ... just another thought ... ?

I have a friend who was looking for a kitten through pets 4 homes and I have to say we were staggered at the kitten farming businesses that seemed to operate that way ...

Good luck!

We've had two cocker spaniels, both bought from reputable breeders and were both KCC registered. The first one was never healthy and died of cancer at 3. The second we still have and she will soon be 11.

They are one of the breeds that can be very inbred. I think the first one was weak because of this, and we later heard of others from the same breeder that either hadn't lived long or had " rage". Holly, to me, looks a little suspect to be and has the more solid build of a water spaniel- she is like an otter in the water too! So I think she probably has a better background because ( touch wood) she has been healthy. She cost £450 at the time so I guess that would be about £800 now.

They aren't easy dogs even though they are cute and a nice size for a family home. They have the "gluttony gene" (so my vet tells me!) that labradors have and you do really have to watch their weight. Holly thinks walks are for seeking left over kebabs and sandwiches so has to be watched like a hawk!

They also take a while to mature -we got her when she was 2 when my son went to Australia. She was hyper at that point and couldn't be left alone, and it was our German Shepherd's " supervision" which helped her mature into the lovely dog she is now. ( German Shepherd owners will know what I mean!)

My son has just bought a spoodle - spaniel/poodle cross. Millie is lovely - more poodle than spaniel (only the ears and coat as far as I can see). I'd certainly go for something more mixed next time as I think they are likely to be

healthier than many pure breeds. If you do want a pure breed do go for a very good breeder and ask to see not only the Mum but ask if you can contact someone who has had one of the earlier litters. Good luck!

:lol: fight you for them Karen!

That's true - ex-racing greyhounds make lovely family pets too - they need very little exercise and can easily be lead-walked if you don't have many open spaces or enclosed fields near you. As with most hounds, they are very people-centric and love their human/slave. They sleep most of the day - they aren't known as '30mph couch potatoes' for nowt :lol: . Despite their size, they curl up very small and are very gentle with children.

That's true - ex-racing greyhounds make lovely family pets too - they need very little exercise and can easily be lead-walked if you don't have many open spaces or enclosed fields near you. As with most hounds, they are very people-centric and love their human/slave. They sleep most of the day - they aren't known as '30mph couch potatoes' for nowt :lol: . Despite their size, they curl up very small and are very gentle with children.

Didn't dare mention greyhounds as I am VERY biassed towards them - but since DM has raised the issue it would be rude to ignore it :dance: I cannot recommend them highly enough as family pets, a very easy breed to look after ... give it some thought!!!! :whistle:

Didn't dare mention greyhounds as I am VERY biassed towards them - but since DM has raised the issue it would be rude to ignore it :dance: I cannot recommend them highly enough as family pets, a very easy breed to look after ... give it some thought!!!! :whistle:

They do make excellent pets for busy households with children, DM's two got lots of cuddles from my two S sons

and they just soaked it up like two sponges. :lol::lol: