bluekarin

Our new puppy - update with new photos

Funny you should ask - I was going to post an update earlier, but thought I'd wait a little longer. We have a visit booked for 16th June when they are about 3 1/2 weeks old, so will be able to tell more about the looks and the markings by then. I spoke to the owner this evening and she sounded lovely and really easy to talk to *phew*. I don't know if I put up a link but if not, here it is http://www.megashel.co.uk/Puppies/Welcome.html ED like the one at the front which is furthest away from mum and YD likes the one which is all white apart from the black tail. I will update when I get some pics of our girl :dance:

Really glad they have been born safely, you must be really excited now and itching to see them. The mum looks lovely too. Youve seen a picture of my Pebbles, she was all white with two black pebbles on her back but she gradually got darker to how she is now but then her dam and sire were both dark roan. You'll have to update us with more pictures as you get them. :)

Well, we went and saw the puppies today - and have put down a deposit on one! She is currently known as Fen (after Fenton, yes That dog *sighs*) which I do quite like but I also like Neela and Lily. We may save Lily for new chickens in the future as ED wants to name something Tonks and really wanted to name the new pup that :lol: I said no, as she is my puppy :D The owners are lovely as is Fen's mummy, so I hope that is a good sign for how she will be. I shall keep you updated as and when :D

Congratulations on choosing your girl!

I'm SO glad you decided to pay more and go with a breeder you trust. We had a horrible experience in 2009 when we bought a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel from a "breeder" who turned out to be a puppy farmer. She was very skilled at pulling the wool over people's eyes and had duped many people who ended up losing the dogs to health problems, or paying thousands of pounds to save their dogs. We bought out pup a month after our beloved CKCS, Rosy, died (aged 9). Due to inbreeding and mistreatment, the new puppy had horrific seizures and other health problems, plus behavioural problems (constant barking), and my kids had to witness it suffer. It had to be PTS at 14 weeks old, so we lost 2 dogs in the space of 3 months. It was heartbreaking. We took the puppy farmer to court and managed to get her license application rejected, and I'm wiser now. Three months after losing the puppy, we found a breeder through the KC website and paid £700 for a healthy puppy who is now 3 years old. She was worth every penny.

I wouldn't trust any "breeder" who offered to deliver, who didn't offer to show me the mother, and who offered a DLC (Dog Lover Certificate) pedigree. I wish I had known then what I know now.

You've done the right thing.

Lx

Lovely, she could be Fenella, that's a nice name.

Met two gorgeous 12 week old chocolate labradoodle pups at Foxton locks this afternoon.... I nearly died when the owner told me what he paid for them.... after all they are mongrels. :lol: They were very sweet and soft, licked my hands and sat when I asked them, Cyrus quite liked them but Ruby's not keen on anything that jumps at her face.

Lovely, she could be Fenella, that's a nice name.

Ooh no! I knew a girl at primary with that name. She was such a madam and know it all, I would forever think of her :lol:

Shemybelle - that is just too sad :( I am sorry to hear you go through that, but thank you for telling me. I know we have done the right thing, but stories like that just confirm it.

And in other shock news.....my mum who HATES pets or any sort (but quite like chickens) gave us a dog lead and collar today. And a dog brush :shock::shock::lol:

Had more puppy cuddles yesterday evening. She has grown up so much! She was really snuffling around my neck. Such a sweetie.

Anyhoo, I need some advice re dog leads. We have a fabric collar and fixed lead for now while she is still young, but I want to get a leather collar for when she is a bit bigger. Which lead should we get; fixed leather one or a retractable one?

Also, will she be okay with baby safe teddy toys or do you need specific dog teddy toys?

I'd get a fixed lead, they are much more easy to control and you're less likely to garotte yourself/the dog/anyone else. but then I'm not a fan of the retractable ones. If you need a longer lead for teaching recall then use a fixed longline on a harness. Never attach either a retractable lead or longline to a regular collar is there's the risk of damaging the dogs neck if it takes off at speed.

There are some really lovely collars around now, wait until she's a bit bigger and see what suits her.

These are gorgeous.

Thank you! They are lovely, but I think my hubby would pass out at that sort of price :shock: The one I was looking at today was about £8 in Scatts, which is a nice plain brown one. Also, when you say a long fixed lead, what sort of length would you recommend? I want to get a short fixed one for around town, of about 1 to 1.5m. Would that be okay?

I know, they're really expensive... can but dream though.

I'd get a fixed lead that's long enough to allow the dog to walk by your side (depends on the height of the dog) and a bit extra. She will want to explore everything at first and will get tangled up if it's too long, and you want to keep her close to heel at first while she learns.

For longlines, choose one about 9 feet long with clips and rings along the length so that you can adjust the length. The nylon webbing ones aren't expensive. Used with an adjustable harness, you can let her wander safely in open spaces or the garden but still give it a wee tug if she's not responding to recall.

My neighbours complained to me that their cavalier pup doesn't walk to heel... they walk it on an extending lead and let it play right out :roll: they don't have any control over it like this and the little sweetie nearly killed itself when it took off after a ball and reached the end of the lead with a massive tug :shock::? They've borrowed one of our spare fixed leads for a while.

I use either a fixed lead or retractable lead depending on where I am walking. Most of the time I use a fixed lead because I am walking along the pavements to fields where Tango can run off lead. However, there are times when a retractable lead is handy. For example today I walked to some meadows along a farm track. Normally, I'd let Tango off lead along the farm track, but on a work day I don't have time for her to bog off chasing hares, so it's helpful to stick her retractable lead on so she has some freedom to trot/sniff about until we get to the meadows where she can run off lead.

As DM has said, ALWAYS use a harness with a retractable lead, if you use it beside a road always keep it locked short and lastly remember that your dog will never learn to walk nicely on a lead if it's always allowed to zoom about on a retractable lead. If you stick to that you won't go far wrong!

I know they're not leather but I love these collars and they have matching leads too!