bluekarin

Our new puppy - update with new photos

Not their weekend to be with us sadly, We'll properly come Sunday (weather permitting).

People find it odd that i don't recommend Labradors to pet people; My thoughts are they either get to fat

begging for treats and not enough exercise (they need a lot) or they don't get enough mental stimulation

and start being destructive - Spaniels are the same with mental stimulation.

I do think Greyhound type dog are fab for this and so child friendly.

I can think of 3 families with pet labs and all of the dogs are overweight and under-exercised :(

My last lurcher was just sooo good with Rosie when she was little; she was Rosie's guard dog. My current two love her to bits as well and always go to her for cuddles when she comes down in the morning.

They get two good runs per day, let out at lunchtime and spend the rest of the time comatose or playing together indoors.

I can vouch for greyhounds with children! We had two small people in the office earlier in the week (aged 3 and 1) and Willow was fantastic with them, very gentle and sweet, but then to be fair, she is gentle with everyone :angel: ...

(though as always, usual H&S warning, never leave dogs unattended with children :roll: )

I did a lot of research before I bought my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I eventually decided to go through the kennel club as i didn't want to end up with a dog with more health problems than normal. My breed does have heart conditions and I do know that she has a heart murmur! :cry: I am saving at the moment to get her health checked to know for sure if I can breed from her or not.

She cost £550.00 which is middle range price. Yes I could have bought one cheaper...but.....

I was going to show her but she's just to much a pet & spoilt now :lol::lol:

Good luck with your search for a puppy. You may even be lucky & find a rescue one which is used to cats :D

My CKC is regularly beaten up by the cats when she gets too boisterous :lol::lol::lol:

We have a "hybrid", we know mum is 85% spaniel, 15% other, and dad unknown :lol:

Think there's bull breed in there, amongst other things.

She is just lovely, apart from being a really sticky hound, ie has to be glued to someone's side. Dead easy to train, with steel stomach. Bit of a thief, Very careful around the cats/hens/tortoise, and other smaller dogs, scared of pheasant, rabbits etc. Not scared of sheep, unfortunately, we have to be careful, as she wants to be their friend, nad they dont want to be hers.she wont hurt them, but they run and she follows. Not good Local farmer is going to address this for us, with some ewes in a pen shortly, with dog added. Then she'll be scared of sheep too. harsh , but better than being shot.

X breeds are a safe option , as long as you get to meet and spend time with parent(mum). Flynn is a sweetie, Ugly , but to us she is the best!!

She cost £80.

Thanks for all your your views and comments :D We have decided, after much searching, to up what we are willing to spend to get a healthy dog which will hopefully have none of the inherited problems that some cockers have. Hubby has also said, as he isn't that fussed about getting a dog, its me and the girls who want it, that we have to get a girl (I wanted a boy, but will compromise). I have a few possible candidates, so we shall see. Not in a rush, but I don't know how long people tend to breed their dogs for, so I don't know if this time of year is peak puppy time or if its a general drib drab throughout the year.

I have considered lurchers (fell in love with one that DM posted a link to a while back) and quite like whippets and greyhounds, but we just don't have a spot big enough for it whilst keeping it and the cats separate until they are used to each other.

If ever :shock:

I think you are doing the right thing and will probably cost you less in the long run! I know cockers can be overbred for the wrong reasons but my previous three girls (have had them all my life) lived happy and healthly lives, were brilliant when I had children and all the various small furry animals that inevitably came along. Pebbles who is nearly six gets along with everyone although I have to admit is a bit of a baby especially when it comes to booster injections. Crys as if she has been mortally wounded then happily has a treat from the vet.

Good luck with your search and look forward to seeing photos.

Well, we have gone back to the original person (who we said were too much for us) who's puppies are due 21st of this month and she has said she will put us down for a female pup :dance: Just have to hope that all is well between now and then with the pregnancy and that she doesn't end up having a litter of all boys :roll:

I know the sire is tested, I am just checking the mum is too. The sires website page says he won't be 'offered' to any female who hasn't been eye tested or approved. The sires actually belongs to someone who I contacted about their pups, but who we definitely couldn't afford, so in a round about way, we are getting one of his pups :wink: The family set up a web page for their first litter, and will be doing the same for this second litter, so once I have a link, I shall op it up so you can see the babies.

I have to try and keep calm though, otherwise I will explode with excitement :lol::oops: I imagine its like waiting for a grandchild!

I have to try and keep calm though, otherwise I will explode with excitement :lol::oops: I imagine its like waiting for a grandchild!

I remember feeling exactly the same. Hope it all goes well.

Oh yes, there is nothing like the smell of a snuggly little puppy. I love the smell of the tops of their heads :D

Not sure our ESS ever had that smell. If she did, it didn't last long. A good roll when walking through the woods and hey presto, stinky :roll::lol:

A litter of 6 girls were born today :dance: They were due Monday but they are here at last. Hopefully all will feed and thrive, but will chat to the owner next week, and then hopefully next step, visit :D

Awww. How strange that they were all girls. Have you had a chance to arrange a visit yet? I want to see photos :dance: